Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 57238 times)

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2011, 10:53:30 am »

I don't know about the rest of you, but if anything I find that article inspirational. He's doing what he loves, refusing all offers to compromise his dream, while living life the way he wants to. How many people can honestly say that?

Not, perhaps, how I'd want to live my life (seriously, turkey is the blandest sandwich meat you can pick) - but that's exactly the point, it's not my life. Just keep donating and be glad that he's following his dreams - and that we can all benefit from the result - don't criticize how many sodas he drinks :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:56:06 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2011, 11:00:33 am »

Wow! Congratulations Toady and Threetoe, and thanks for your dedication to this excellent game.

Unfortunately, I can't see the article. It asks me to login. Can it be accessed from elsewhere?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 11:01:28 am »

Quote from: NYT
If much of Tarn’s apartment suggests a tenant who never fully moved in, his bedroom suggests a tenant who never sets a sock outdoors.

Okay, who of you wrote this?

Nice catch! This reporter is no casual observer.

Don't credit me for this---Peritract over at /r/DF first made the connection.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 11:14:15 am »

Wow! Congratulations Toady and Threetoe, and thanks for your dedication to this excellent game.

Unfortunately, I can't see the article. It asks me to login. Can it be accessed from elsewhere?

I quickly did this:  http://pastebin.com/99bTqJRU

A little harder to read maybe, but it works.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2011, 11:14:26 am »

Tarn seems like the standard "mad scientist" personality type, the Myers-Briggs INTP.  I have a friend who seems just like him - brilliant, a mathematical wizard, but even though he pulls down six figures in finance, he has basically no furniture in his apartment.  Like, a desk for his computer, an old ratty couch, and a mattress on the floor.  Like Tarn, apparently, he really has no use for the money he makes.  He just does his job because he likes solving problems.

For people that were very surprised at the meth use:  Meth is synonymous with "speed," and from my understanding it's basically like an incredibly enormous hit of Ritalin.  The aforementioned friend and others used it during undergrad because it gave them the ridiculous focus and drive to complete impossible math problems.  Plus, you don't have to sleep!  It's often lurking in the background of the hardcore engineering/math schools.

That said, it's highly addictive.  Stay away from it.

Finally, I've donated twice but always refused the reward.  But now that I've seen them, I'm totally getting a crayon art next time.

(oh, and for those asking about the login - the basic NYTimes.com account is free)

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2011, 11:21:52 am »

Toady has caffeine addiction.

“Water’s not doing it for me these days,” he said. “I know it’s bad, but the sugar goes right into programming the game. If I don’t drink soda now, I get a headache and can’t do any work.”

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2011, 11:24:45 am »

I believe it's also the significant sugar draw of the brain.

I know, at least, that when I do math 7+ hours a day I have to eat 5 meals just to get enough sugar to keep my brain still working.  I suspect he has the same issue, because in my experience it's kind of a universal problem among people solving complex problems.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2011, 11:31:46 am »

Damnit Toady, if I thought it'd survive the journey across the pond I'd start sending you care packages on a monthly basis.  This article was wonderful to read, but I feel a little sad afterwards.  It makes me want to fly over and mummy him.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2011, 11:33:19 am »

Hell, my brain doesnt function without sugar drinks and caffine drinks, and I am but a humble Physicist  ;D
This is a blank sig.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2011, 11:34:02 am »

It makes me want to fly over and mummy him.
You want to fly over to his country to wrap him in bandages!?  :P

Anyway, I'm happily surprised about this artical.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2011, 11:34:35 am »

Hell, my brain doesnt function without sugar drinks and caffine drinks, and I am but a humble Physicist  ;D

I have the luck to be so caffeine-sensitive that one cup of tea will send me roaring into hyper-focus, but yeah, I do eat a hell of a lot of sugar.

(Love your avatar, by the way)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2011, 11:38:09 am »

Ha-de-bleedin'-ha :D

Wait.  Tell me the sentence still made sense for you guys in the US.  I have no idea how many/few of our colloquialisms translate properly.
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2011, 11:45:09 am »

I believe it's also the significant sugar draw of the brain.

I know, at least, that when I do math 7+ hours a day I have to eat 5 meals just to get enough sugar to keep my brain still working.  I suspect he has the same issue, because in my experience it's kind of a universal problem among people solving complex problems.

Stimulants -- caffeine, cigarettes, and worse -- and poor (i.e. high-sugar, low-nutrient) food are ubiquitous in those fields... so it's no surprise that Toady has a bit of that in his life.

The game is fantastic.  I won't throw stones.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2011, 11:53:28 am »

Ha-de-bleedin'-ha :D

Wait.  Tell me the sentence still made sense for you guys in the US.  I have no idea how many/few of our colloquialisms translate properly.

Sort of.  We don't use "Mum" in the U.S., we use "Mom."  It would make more sense as "Mommy him."

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2011, 11:59:44 am »

Regarding meth use: Its extremely common among physics majors, too. This will sound silly, but its true; I've never known a 4.0 physics major who did not admit to using meth to the rest of us in the physics lounge, sooner or later.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24