Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 57285 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2011, 03:51:38 pm »

Why so? It's how he lives life to the fullest, isn't it? Might as well let people find the greatest joy in anything that doesn't rear harm to others, no?
It would help if the article was less ambiguous about whether certain aspects of his lifestyle, namely the fact that he apparently eats one proper meal a week at best and probably gets very little sunlight or fresh air, were a conscious decision on his part. It would be an appalling waste of a life and a vast talent if he were to die before his dream could be realised.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:57 pm »

Yeah, it was sort of depressing to learn that Toady lives in a hole and drinks nothing but soda.
Nothing wrong with living in a hole, as long as all the crap strewn about is inorganic. I do worry about his health though after reading that. You can shrug off any bad diet in the world when you're in your twenties, but sooner or later your metabolism is going to need something more substantial to work with.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »

Genius comes at a price, always has, always will.

Great article, a lot more personal than I think anything I've ever read about the brothers. One thing I didn't like, either in how it was written or how the quotes were used, is that Toady came off with an attitude about other gaming. Toady says he plays a lot of stuff both indie and mainstream (I got a kick out of the Arkham Horror mention), but the article implies he disdains most of it.

Either way, I think Toady needs a new gold-plated Toad avatar to commemorate his status as "d'art"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2011, 04:05:43 pm »

Genius comes at a price, always has, always will.

Great article, a lot more personal than I think anything I've ever read about the brothers. One thing I didn't like, either in how it was written or how the quotes were used, is that Toady came off with an attitude about other gaming. Toady says he plays a lot of stuff both indie and mainstream (I got a kick out of the Arkham Horror mention), but the article implies he disdains most of it.

Either way, I think Toady needs a new gold-plated Toad avatar to commemorate his status as "d'art"

One of the reasons that drive Toady to make DF is the fact he doesn't like much of what has been done. But I do agree, he may come unsympathetic for the fans of the games cited on the article.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2011, 04:38:37 pm »

Toady did meth and still went on to make one of the best video games ever made?

Legend.

Substance abuse doesn't irrevocably render people incapable of being members of humanity, despite what some people say.  Even full on addiction is a problem that should be handled with empathy and understanding, rather than leper-like disdain.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2011, 04:42:45 pm »

We're lucky it was not a fell mood.
Oh, you didn't know about SquirrelTwo, the second brother of the three? Let's.... keep it that way.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »

Question, if Toady decided to take the 300k offer to liscence DF, does that mean gas to turn over the rights for it, or is it like, DF-liscenced shirts and stuff?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2011, 04:47:57 pm »

Question, if Toady decided to take the 300k offer to liscence DF, does that mean gas to turn over the rights for it, or is it like, DF-liscenced shirts and stuff?
I think that's for the name "Dwarf Fortress." Something else would be called Dwarf Fortress, and he'd have to change the name of his game.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2011, 05:30:35 pm »

Just in case the NYT article wasn't enough information, the Bay12 servers are in for some rough treatment.  Slashdot just linked the NYT article.
At last, she is done.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2011, 05:33:56 pm »

Just in case the NYT article wasn't enough information, the Bay12 servers are in for some rough treatment.  Slashdot just linked the NYT article.

Those fuckers.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Tuonelan renki

• Bay Watcher
  • Knitting black wool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2011, 05:36:53 pm »

The article was certainly informative, though somewhat confusing considering the level of intimacy involved.

Anyway, due to it, I'm certainly going to prioritize making a donation in the near future. A rebel against tacky industry creating intellectually shallow gaming deserves my meager ☼'s.
"We'll trade all your gold, cheese and prepared rabbit intestines to this box full of crap we carved out of limestone."
-Rockworks Sprayedswords, Baron of Helmsplunge

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2011, 05:39:51 pm »

The article was certainly informative, though somewhat confusing considering the level of intimacy involved.

Anyway, due to it, I'm certainly going to prioritize making a donation in the near future. A rebel against tacky industry creating intellectually shallow gaming deserves my meager ☼'s.

My name is Hitty40, and I approve this post.

Also, does anyone else expect to see a good boost in the number of players/B12 forum users?

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2011, 05:50:45 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:38:14 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2011, 05:54:33 pm »

I really enjoyed reading that article, and I think it will do great things for Dwarf Fortress's "circulation". I agree that it was a surprisingly intimate article, but I still enjoyed reading up on how Toady does his thing, and the reporter seemed to know what he's talking about.

And yes, I believe that the article will cause a rise in the forum population. I just hope they are civilized...*Adjusts Top Hat and Monocle*

And maybe if he's lucky, Toady might also get some more devs or so, maybe someone who enjoys playing with the ASCII and has played DF for a while?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:07 pm »

Creative people are often eccentric. Also, "well balanced" lifestyles tend to not have much free time for stuff like this.

Not to say he's not unhealthy and whatnot, just sayin'.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24