Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Pyrrhic Victory: 1/14]  (Read 75378 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [Day 1: 14/14]
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »

Dariush, you're such an asshole.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:54 pm »

Think  If you could pick a scum power role, what kind do you think would help you the most as scum?

Vector Do you think we'll have any survivor roles?  Which ones would seem the most dangerous for town?

Max How many bastard mod type games have you played?  Do you have a strategy as town for them in particular?

These questions probably are terrible, but I've never done RVS before.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2011, 02:31:11 pm »

Dariush runs on pure unfiltered rage.

Simple:  Fair enough.  Unvote Simple.

Tolyk:  Have you been keeping up in games here since you last played one?  If so, have you learned anything useful?

Pandar:  If you were scum, which person here would you most fear as scum?  What about the reverse?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2011, 02:48:21 pm »

Pandar, are you going to actually play this game?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »

read the flavour for detective work (highly recommended!)
Noted and appreciated reminder.

IronyOwl, have you managed to find anything of interest yet?
Are you rolefishing?

I find the pope's name--"innocent 8" to be interesting, as it seems to imply that only eight of us are fully townies.  Furthermore, 14-8 = 6, which might explain the groups of 3 mentioned in the OP.
What groups of 3?

Urist, in a semi-bastard like this, would you rather have a role that's powerful or unexpected?

Jim, roleblocker or cop? Does anything about this game change that answer from normal?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2011, 03:25:27 pm »

Jim:  Assuming you were a cop:  Would you instantly claim a scum result under any circumstance?  If you had a town result on someone who was headed for a lynch, would you be their knight in shining armor and claim to save them?

I doubt it.

Unless my read on a player and my inspect results generally agree, I'm not going to instantly claim the result. This goes for players I read scum and get a town result on and players I read town and get a scum result on. Whether I claim also depends on whether I think I'm going to live for much longer as well.

If I read scum on a player I got a town result on, I don't think I'd try and save them from the lynch, but if I read town on them, I've been known to somewhat regularly defend people from lynches I see no merit in.

Generally, reads are more important than inspect results.

Jim, roleblocker or cop? Does anything about this game change that answer from normal?

Roleblocker. Other bastard games have shown me the limited usefulness that a cop inspect has. Roleblocker doesn't have that doubt.

Flandre, let's say you're a town roleblocker. What sort of qualities would you look for in a target?

Vector, what do you make of that we're going on a literal witch hunt?

Toaster, what kind of roles would throw off your game if they were to show up?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2011, 03:47:36 pm »

Vector Do you think we'll have any survivor roles?  Which ones would seem the most dangerous for town?

No idea, given that LNCP is theoretically trying to keep things simple.

I would say that Doomspeakers are the most dangerous.

Are you rolefishing?

Absolutely not.  There's a reason why I provided analysis from the publicly available flavortext.  I'm still curious to hear your thoughts.

Touch defensive, aren't you.

What groups of 3?

Strangers sit in the field by their fire waiting for dawn, always coming - and passing - in threes. The wilds are their home, however, and each night the fires will be lit anew. Each night, they will flee into the woods.
   It cannot go any other way.

Also, witch covens typically fall in groups of three--mother, maiden, and crone.

Vector, what do you make of that we're going on a literal witch hunt?

I had to look that up, unfortunately:

[Wiki wiki]

At the moment, I feel like it's a commentary on the nature of Mafia in general, though it also blurs the lines between the sides.  As such, the idea of informed/uninformed minority/majority may be somewhat skewed.

Or we need to lynch the GM, in which case whatever.

I'll also add that I googled the name given in my role PM (zero hits) and checked it against the list of characters in The Crucible (for similarity), so I don't see any literary references there.  I'd recommend that others do the same.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2011, 04:20:30 pm »

Max, would you prefer being a cop, a doc or a roleblocker?
Cop, It makes my life a lot easier...

Max How many bastard mod type games have you played?  Do you have a strategy as town for them in particular?
This is realy more of a semi-bastard mod, so not all that different I'm guessing from a normal game, but to the question! Never before, unless you count supernatural currently going, but I plan read every last scrap of flavour text, it has been hinted to have clues.

Now onto the important part.
Jim: Oh hod big and manly and strong you are! Also, if you were a miller, would you claim d1?
IronyOwl: Hello! Firstly, this has been bugging me because I don't know and everybody else seems to, where is your avatar from? Also, let's say you were a third party role with a wincon that revolved around having a witch night killed rather than lynched, how would you go about achieving this.
Panda: Are you going to be active this game? I sure hope you are going to be active! Tell me your going to be active.
UristMcArathos: You are still new, and the players here aren't sworn to help you, so what is your plan of action if you find yourself needing advice?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2011, 04:36:26 pm »

Jim: Oh hod big and manly and strong you are! Also, if you were a miller, would you claim d1?

Quit flirting.

The last time I was a miller (Kook in one of the Paranormals) I didn't claim on Day 1. My reasoning at the time was that there were more than enough Day 1 Kook lynches to make that a bad idea, even if the claim was done in good faith.

I still don't think I would claim on Day 1, even though I feel like it would be fine if I did. Even if I play a good town game, people will always keep in the back of their mind that I'm a miller, and take everything I say with a certain amount of skepticism that would never go away.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2011, 04:40:24 pm »

Such an impressive shiny head, and a strong masculine nostril!
So you would lie to the town to cover your own ass? Don't you think if you were inspected (And I mean it if you, of coarse you are inspected!) it would be better if you claimed early?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2011, 04:52:22 pm »

Urist, in a semi-bastard like this, would you rather have a role that's powerful or unexpected?

I don't have experience with either, so I'm going off my guesses about the best strategy.  There's lot of unexpected things in a bastard or semi-bastard game, so an unexpected role has less shock value and isn't as useful for hiding, I think.  It also seems more complex to utilize effectively, and I'd hate to waste it on rookie mistakes.

Especially as a newbie, a powerful role seems like it would be more straightforward, and therefore easier for me to use to its full potential.

UristMcArathos: You are still new, and the players here aren't sworn to help you, so what is your plan of action if you find yourself needing advice?

Read the mafia wiki whenever I have a question, or don't understand an acronym or role/power.  It's really all I have that I can trust; maybe flip through some old games, see how other people have played and try to figure out why certain tactics or styles work.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »

Roleblocker. Other bastard games have shown me the limited usefulness that a cop inspect has. Roleblocker doesn't have that doubt.
Next question: Roleblocker or vig?

Absolutely not.  There's a reason why I provided analysis from the publicly available flavortext.  I'm still curious to hear your thoughts.
I'm curious about the very second sentence, whether it's relevant and whether "the dog's death" refers to the figure dying or the witness dog.

The only thing that really sticks out to me, though, is the number of riders. The fact that there's six of them doesn't seem interesting so much as the fact that he mentioned the number. The main inquisitor guy I suspect is more of just the narrator, but I can't help but wonder if there's more to the riders than background scenery.

That said, I suspect he meant "kill descriptions in the morning" or similar moreso than the opening like that.

but I plan read every last scrap of flavour text, it has been hinted to have clues.
Have you done so with what we've got? Did you get anything from it?

IronyOwl: Hello! Firstly, this has been bugging me because I don't know and everybody else seems to, where is your avatar from? Also, let's say you were a third party role with a wincon that revolved around having a witch night killed rather than lynched, how would you go about achieving this.
Franken Fran, horror/weird stuff manga. She's so cute. :3

As for the wincon, not really sure. If I had a kill myself, I'd obviously go for whoever I thought was scum, possibly even trying to save someone from the noose so I could dispose of them personally.

If I was relying on a vig, SK, or second scumteam, probably try to insinuate that whoever I thought was a witch was probably scum while going for someone else, hoping for said killer to agree with me and knock off their enemy/rival. I'd probably try to be not-too-noticeable so as not to get killed in the meantime, and might encourage going after lurkers/easy targets initially to cut down on the number of potential targets.

So, sarcastic/antagonistic survivor, pretty much. If I didn't think we had a vig, might even pull off some ridiculous claim about needing them alive for some investigative power or something, hoping to get the town to leave them alone and anyone else to dispose of them.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Through the Fog and Filthy Air [SIGNUPS CLOSED: 14/9+]
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2011, 05:05:21 pm »

Have you done so with what we've got? Did you get anything from it?

when all the sane are asleep.
This might be a hint that no townie has a night ability, although this seems a little contrary to the day 1 opening post, that seems to imply seven town power roles... So not that much for sure yet, I think we need more to go off.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2011, 05:18:01 pm »

Such an impressive shiny head, and a strong masculine nostril!
So you would lie to the town to cover your own ass? Don't you think if you were inspected (And I mean it if you, of coarse you are inspected!) it would be better if you claimed early?

You make it sound so terrible.

Not claiming Miller immediately isn't lying to the town and isn't covering one's own ass. Millers are not obligated to claim on Day 1. Any hard stance anybody takes on it is probably abuse by a scum team or misguided idiocy. Especially for millers, they have to be looked at on a case by case basis.

If I was inspected, I would ask what part of my game makes me look like scum besides the inspect. Reads are more important than inspect results, and I'd stress this repeatedly.

Next question: Roleblocker or vig?

Vigilante.

Pew pew pew kill my own scum targets without having to convince people pew pew plus I get to lynch people I suspect during the day pew pew pew.

Being a vigilante would be pretty great. One day I'll get to be one, and it will be the best game ever.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2011, 06:06:27 pm »

Flandre, let's say you're a town roleblocker. What sort of qualities would you look for in a target?
To put it bluntly, I would look for scummy behavior as per usual.
There is little else to it, because I would not likely risk blocking the role of some misjudged townie, and for those I was absolutely sure were scum, I would still withhold my block to avoid any vote-role associations on the scum's part. Townie roleblocking does not seem particularly advantageous, I think.

Toaster: Who, in this lobby, do you think would play as scum the most convincingly, and why?

Pandarsenic: Would you be more suspicious of a lurker, or a player claiming to be miller?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39