Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 26917 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

Name him Tersr II! Lets keep track of player-dorfed deaths :D
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And make his profession "Possessed Warrior" or something like that, then maybe I can IC after battles and such.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice idea.  The original Tersr coming back to haunt us in an unusual fashion.. :D

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 12th Hematite, 10

The fortress suffers from a ridiculous amount of idle workers, because of previous specialization efforts. Hauling requires no specialization, and coupled with the enormous size of the new fort, the lack of haulers under the current system can mean waits of days on end for the construction of buildings, the smoothing of floors, etc. I will be overhauling the system and giving idle dwarves more duties.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 17th Hematite, 10

Fievreux has been elected Mayor of Sarekmorul and I am working closely with her to coordinate the running of the fortress.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 22nd Hematite, 10

We have struck the river wall and released water into the aquaduct. It is working its way now to the well. Many are lined deep underground, waiting for the chance to clean themselves in the newly available water.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 5th Malachite, 10

Fievreux has banned the export of rope reed goods from the fortress. Fine by me, we mostly just steal rope reed from the elves anyway.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 8th Malachite, 10

The well is full and 12 migrants have arrived, among them three stonesmiths, a high master weaponsmith, two children and several haulers. Our population stands at 119.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 2nd Galena, 10

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tirist Okirreg has struck into the magmapipe and released the magma that will fill the upper level of the Great Temple with Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush's glory. Praise the miners!

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 8th Galena, 10

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 12th Galena, 10

A human caravan from Tokdaanthath has arrived. Fievreux has gone to meet with their traders. We desperately require iron to melt to begin crafting steel armor and weapons.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 22nd Galena, 10

Another birth gives us a population of 120. Praise to Armok.

Fievreux has concluded trading with the humans. She purchased every piece of iron from them possible, but it was not much. The items will be designated for melting and converted to iron bars.

I wish to take a moment to detail a dream which I experienced last night, and which I hope does not prove to be prophetic.

In the dream, Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush visited me and Her glory was beautiful and terrible. I covered my eyes as soon as she entered my vision, for Her visage is too much for any mortal to comprehend. When I had prostrated myself before Her, She reached forward with her celestial paw and touched my hand, and the ecstasy of the contact sent me into a fit wherein I saw the military of Sarekmorul, naked and unarmed, slaughtered atop the Golden Bridge of Crustypeanut by a goblin horde outfitted in iron and glinting in the fading sun. In an instant the vision changed, showing me the innards of the fortress which we have worked so hard to create. Fires raged deep within, workshops and apartments stood ransacked and bloodied, corpses of children lined the floor. Above the bodies stood beasts terrible in their power, forgotten to myth and legend.

Without steel a dwarf is underequipped to face the devastation that She visits upon us as frequent challenges. I fear that this dream means that Sarekmorul shall be ironless, and thus, steelless. We MUST think of something to deal with this potentiality.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 24th Galena, 10

Work on the mysterious construction has finally begun... We had all the materials needed, it just took time to gather them from across the large fortress.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 28th Galena, 10

*sigh*

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 1st Limestone, 10

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The irony of my dwarf being elected mayor.

Loving the updates so far. I'm going to be out of town from the 30th to the 3rd and won't be around then, but I trust you all can manage yourselves appropriately without me updating the thread. :x

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The irony of my dwarf being elected mayor.

Loving the updates so far. I'm going to be out of town from the 30th to the 3rd and won't be around then, but I trust you all can manage yourselves appropriately without me updating the thread. :x

Okay. I think we will be fine!
Also, congratulations on your election.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothin' wrong with a couple of idlers Zanziik :P I'd rather have a dorf be ready to do his main job than be busy hauling something for 5 hours.  But, to each his own, I'll just fix it when my turn comes around again lol

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothin' wrong with a couple of idlers Zanziik :P I'd rather have a dorf be ready to do his main job than be busy hauling something for 5 hours.  But, to each his own, I'll just fix it when my turn comes around again lol

This is true generally, but coupled with the vastness of this particular fortress, and the fact that as of now we're really split between two semi-functioning fortresses, and as I was trying to focus on two specific things which don't require much specialization (the Great Temple and the well,) the waiting got excessive. While building the well, there was a point where I had it all dug out, except for the tile connection the water from the river to the aquaduct, and I was waiting on the construction of a single door for over a month of game time. Just too much for me. Really the only people I despecialized in particular were the haulers... Where there were 7 or so dwarves each with one specific hauling task on before, now each of them has all the hauling tasks. Sped things up a bit.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Understandable, I had specialized the haulers so that they wouldn't be hauling stone all day all night and would haul more important things.. but I understand :D

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 20th Limestone, 10

Another ghost has risen and is haunting the fortress... How many have died here? The unsettled spirit must be dealt with, more memorial slabs must be created.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 14th Sandstone, 10

Another boy has been born to a clothsmith.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 18th Sandstone, 10

Nine more dwarves have joined our ranks, among them a crossbowdwarf and an accomplished metalcrafter, both of whom are most welcome at the fortress.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 28th Sandstone, 10

Another boy has been born, this one to a smelter, putting our fortress population at 131.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 2nd Timber, 10

Fievreux has stubbornly mandated the construction of two lead items. We ran out of galena ore (and thus, lead) long ago. I shall have to scout for more veins to avoid issues.

I've found a vein of galena near one of the staircases in the new fortress. It will be dug out and smelted.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 13th Timber, 10

We have completed two lead bins, thus satisfying Fievreux' mandate, and one of the two ghosts haunting the fortress has been put to rest. The community burial site in the Great Temple undercroft is beginning to fill with the remains of the dead of Sarekmorul. May they rest in peace in Our Most Hoary Lady's eternal presence.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 19th Timber, 10

The dwarven caravan from Kogan Ud has arrived. Let us hope they bring iron and steel...

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 24th Timber, 10

SUCCESS! Flandre has traded several large emeralds and a few of Crustypeanut's lavishly prepared meals to the caravan traders for many steel and pig iron and iron bars, along with a small number of iron armor pieces and even a few steel armor pieces. Our military will begin armoring themselves soon! Some items have been melt designated to recraft in better quality.

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 1st Moonstone, 10

Winter is upon us. This season was remarkably uneventful... Hopefully winter does not make up for the lack of action with a disaster...

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oooh! I am excited and terrified at the same time...
None of my fortresses have progressed as far as this one has, and it worries me that something terrible might happen during my reign. You are doing a wonderful job, Zanziik, and it is in my hopes that I can do likewise!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think my record is 8-9 years before dying of FPS.  I have since been playing most of my forts with a pop cap of 100 or less, and I don't breed --ANY-- animals generally, not even war dogs. 

But, having a slower fort is good for story.. you don't miss anything when they're moving like snails :D

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think my record is 8-9 years before dying of FPS.  I have since been playing most of my forts with a pop cap of 100 or less, and I don't breed --ANY-- animals generally, not even war dogs. 

But, having a slower fort is good for story.. you don't miss anything when they're moving like snails :D
I have never looked at it that way. I suppose it is time for me to blow the dust off of my creative writing ability!

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doesn't seem to be too bad in this fortress yet, I'm getting between 50-60 FPS consistently and I'm not playing on an impressively capable PC, and I've yet to resort to atomsmashing unwanted stone, caging animals, etc. Hopefully this continues for everyone after me.

I'm starting my last season now, let's hope to Armok any sieges don't come with ranged fighters, I have almost no hope against a ranged assault... *fingers crossed*

Oh. You guys may notice a ton of Rhesus Macaque corpses lying around. Two of our military have more than five RM kills each, and only one has 0... Tersr II, Possessed Warrior has two personally, and the Hammerdwarf Erush Zonthosbut has 6, leading the pack, with five of those kills coming in one assault on the thieving monkeys.

Genocide. Oops.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 10th Moonstone, 10

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 12th Moonstone, 10

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 20th Moonstone, 10

The moody stonesmith has still not begun construction of his artifact for want of thread, though we have pig tail cloth thread available for him...

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 8th Opal, 10

Fievreux has had a daughter with Eral Shorastmorul, their second child.

She has also mandated the creation of three rope reed fiber items... This could be bad...

In other news, the moody dwarf stands ominously in his claimed craftshop day and night, complaining of thirst but refusing to leave until he gets thread. Where are the elves when you need them?

Journal of 'Zanziik' Asobushul, Order of Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush, 17th Opal, 10

And so it begins... May Guthsak Igathotung Dok Nuglush join us in vanquishing this beast, and may my dream not prove prophetic...

OOC:

SHIT. Question. Are people against me using dfhack to clean the map of blood once we kill this badboy, because the game is bugged in its cleaning system, or should I roll with it and hope to hell we don't get a plague from his blood?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18