Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 26866 times)

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love your post quality, Basque. I haven't even finished reading it. Oh lord. I was on the phone and saw that WHAT and cracked up so hard it hurt.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

If we use the Lazy Newb Pack to change the graphics to say, Ironhand, and change them back to the vanilla graphics when we're done, can we do that? :D
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

Oh lawd. Basque that was brilliant, keep it up. Also that FB has noxious secretions...might be an issue, if the turkeys don't get to us first. Oh well, could be badgers.

We...we don't have badgers, right? Tell me we don't have badgers.

Edit: crusty, you could try downloading the current save, converting it to ironhand with LNP, playing for a bit, then converting the save back to ASCII and reupload it to see if it works with someone else's DF.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:56:16 am by MilestoneTwo »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh lawd. Basque that was brilliant, keep it up. Also that FB has noxious secretions...might be an issue, if the turkeys don't get to us first. Oh well, could be badgers.

Badgers would most likely have been the focus of our worries were they on the map. Just turkeys!

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Badgers would most likely have been the focus of our worries were they on the map. Just turkeys!
I think we do have badgers every once in a while.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

I think we do have badgers every once in a while.
Have they ripped anyone's face off yet?

EDIT: I just remembered that you can use rock to make rock pots at a craftsdwarf's workshop and store your booze in that if you're short on wood. Thus freeing up logs for cozy cabin-making.

EDIT 2: I went ahead and downloaded the save, converted it with LNP to Phoebus .25 graphics, ran it for a few seconds, then converted it back to default ASCII and reuploaded the file here. Would somebody download that and run it, and see if the graphics look ok in default now? If they do that would mean that we can use graphics installed via LNP (and presumably other installers) as long as we convert back to ASCII when our turn's done.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:09:51 pm by MilestoneTwo »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Thanks for the comments you guys, I appreciate them! CrustyPeanut, I've done every tileset in the Lazy Newbs Pack and the problem is Ironhand doesn't recognize some of the characters the original ASCII uses (if uses the empty square instead) and other tilesets use those characters for other things. It mostly just causes problems with text but might have other issues as well. Here's a shot of the text errors and the appearances of the different tilesets [I like Phoebus the best, but Ironhand is a good tileset too]:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also a shout out to Roboboy33 for recommend tinypic.com for uploading screenshots, I've been using it and it works fine.

Like MilestoneTwo said, I've converted the graphics back and forth a ton of times and it doesn't hurt the save or anything, but you get the errors I've circled in the above screenshots (at least I do). Fievreux requested everyone play in the ASCII in the first post though, so I'm going to stick with that. Since I can't tell heads from tails with it the year will probably be much more "fun!"

I'll keep going over the fortress and see if I can understand what's going on at all and try to have another update ASAP. If anyone else wants to be dwarfed or has requests or anything please let me know. Thanks for putting up with me you guys! ^^

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Basque: I know Flandre's request for a bookkeeper still stands. It might free up our expedition leader who is doing that -and- broking.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

I've used Ironhands since day 1 of my DF escapades.. do you know which ones it uses as blank ones?  I've never seen like that, except during some minor modding I was doing.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Those aren't bedrooms! They're just beds behind a door!"

"Now that's not true. Some of them don't have doors! And besides, my room has a bucket."

I laughed. Also, check my sig for my favorite quote from your post. Your writing is great. Very fun to read and nothing's even happened yet.

I can't tell if I'm so confused because things actually are insane or if I just don't understand what's going on. Any kind of comments about the screenshots that would help me understand them would be greatly appreciated. If anyone's still reading this thank you very much for your time! That's all for now. I hope you guys are enjoying this more than I am!

Honestly, the fortress is insane. Already. Year 2. We're in trouble :P. I for one play with ASCII normally but I wouldn't be averse to letting you play in Phoebus for your sake, so long as you give it back in ASCII for the save file. I feel that graphic sets are simple enough to pick up to let the story go on, and I know the ASCII has a steep learning curve. It's Fievreux' call though.

Any specific questions that I can help you with or are you plugging along nicely?

Oh, one thing...

Leave the poultry to me...

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know anything about switching out tilesets, but if a tileset helps you play, then by all means put it in and take it out when you're done with your turn. I didn't think the fortress would be so.. complex.. by now. :p

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tilesets and graphics sets are independent of the game save, last I have checked. If you have heard differently, then things might have changed, and I may be wrong.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"The lack of alcohol has made you all forget what it means to be dwarfs! I'll get the military to whip you all into shape..."

"...your entire military is 4 dwarfs?"

"Yes"

"In leather, not metal armor?"

"Yes"

"And only one of them is a properly trained Axedwarf?"

"Oh not at all, Erush uses an axe as well"

"It says here he's a cheese maker"

"His axe is made of Cheese!"

:'( "Well, I suppose we could always trade for some decent arms and armor with the next caravan..."

"You made the depot inaccessible? HOW DID YOU EVEN MANAGE TO DO THAT?"

"You can't blame us for that one, the entire region has no wagon access!"

"BUT YOU CAME HERE ON A WAGON!"

(Seriously, I've never dealt with an inaccessible depot before. I have no idea how to fix this. No matter where I go on the map it says there's no wagon access)

"I have never in all of my years needed a drink more than I do now-and there's nothing to drink!"

"You have brewable plants and you're cooking them instead?! What the hell is wrong with you dwarfs?!"

"Maybe some rat weed biscuits will cheer you up!"

"ARG! What else is wrong with this Fortress?!"

"You're using Marble for building?! Haven't you ever heard of Steel?!"

"Ha, why would we need steel? We have weapons made from the finest Wood!"

"At least the stocks say we have plenty of armor"

"Yes, all of our warriors have their own pretty, pretty dresses"

"I guess they'll have to defend themselves with their...wait, are those shields made out of wood? Again with the wood! Why are you outfitting our warriors with wood?!"

"So they would be treemendous!" :P

"It's a miracle you all haven't been slaughtered! How can you live like this?!"

"One of us lives quite well"

"At least now I know what you were doing all last year instead of brewing drinks..."

(I apologize but I'm actually taking care of some sick family members and have still yet to unpause the game. There is a lot to be done and some of this stuff I don't know how to fix [namely the depot]. I will try to kick things into high gear when I actually get started, but I'm still trying to figure out the ASCII layout and there's no helpful notes or hotkeys [which I will be fixing right away for the next person]. One of the first things I plan to do is straighten out all the labors, here's a Dwarf Therapist screenshot if anyone wants to check it out [and you guys better want to check it out, it was very tedious to edit together right]:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We have lots of dwarfs with everything on and Legendary dwarfs assigned doing non-Legendary things. ARG!

I will try to start playing and fixing everything ASAP. If anyone has advice [especially with the depot thing] or ideas I'd really appreciate hearing it and I'll try to accommodate people's opinions!)

Edit before posting: People posted while I was typing this. Thanks for being such great guys Fievreux and Zanziik. I'm sure I'll be okay with the ASCII, I just need to get used to it. The biggest issue was coming into the brand new fortress with it, since not only did I not understand what the symbols meant I had no idea what layout I was looking at either. Things are better now but there's a lot to fix and I want to make everything right for the next person.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:03:18 pm by Basque »

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Basque: Don't worry about it. You've got ample time to finish, and we love your updates. If it comes down to extending the deadline for you because you have RL interfering, I don't think that anyone will mind. Quality over quantity, right? Also, the caravans never use wagons, and will still come to the depot even though it appears to be inaccessible. Don't worry about that. You're actually in a pretty good situation, once you get some armor and weapons going. Especially since we've got lignite AND flux stone! But with magma forges, well.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The caravan needs a three-wide hall along its entire length to the depot, and unobstructed access from the edge of the map. Also, wagons cannot use staircases, but can use ramps.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18