Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 26862 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

Dont' worry about the depot - its fine.  Traders don't bring wagons in this version, so as long as they and their mules can get to it like any regular dwarf, you're good.

As for the military.. my god.. XD Though hilarious, they're in a sad state.  First off, training weapons are near useless - It used to be, they were godly because while sparring, soldiers could accidently hurt their partners.  Now, I don't care if they have an artifact adamantine battleaxe that menaces with spikes of diamond and adamantine, they can't hurt their partners, even if it says "Urist McAxelord hacks Urist McPeasant in the head, lightly tapping the target!".  Or something along that lines. 

Wooden shields I understand far more, as its a cheap way to protect your soldiers, as shields are VERY important.  Leather armor.. is not that great period, but its better than nothing. 

Also, for frux stone, if you have a TON of it, its not horrible to use it as building material, as its slightly more valuable.  That said, it certainly should be used in the steel business first.. I tend to have 3 different stone stockpiles - one for metal ores, one for economic stone, and one for everything else. 

I can't wait for my turn, so I can fix this stuff :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:35:50 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whatever I won't get around to fixing, that is. Heh, I will not fix everything, so don't worry!

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The caravan needs a three-wide hall along its entire length to the depot, and unobstructed access from the edge of the map. Also, wagons cannot use staircases, but can use ramps.

For the record, an interesting fact about DF:

When the caravan checks if it can access the depot, the check starts at the depot and works its way out to the map edge, rather than vice versa. This is why the entire map is shown as red to you, Basque, because FROM the depot outward, the caravan cannot fit anywhere at all (needs 3 tile path, as stated by others.) So the caravan can probably get up to the narrow path, but no farther, you just can't see it because of how it's calculated.

Again, all moot since the caravan doesn't bring a wagon at present anyway. I still always build it accessible in personal games, because I don't want to get into bad habits that will bite me in the butt when the wagon comes back.

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

I think marble starts as unrestricted in .25, since in one of my forts I never unforbid it, but I still ended up with a bunch of -marble doors-. That particular bit of insanity is explicable, then. Although it appears that we have yet to strike any iron ores, so it's sort of useless right now anyway.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The caravan needs a three-wide hall along its entire length to the depot, and unobstructed access from the edge of the map. Also, wagons cannot use staircases, but can use ramps.

For the record, an interesting fact about DF:

When the caravan checks if it can access the depot, the check starts at the depot and works its way out to the map edge, rather than vice versa. This is why the entire map is shown as red to you, Basque, because FROM the depot outward, the caravan cannot fit anywhere at all (needs 3 tile path, as stated by others.) So the caravan can probably get up to the narrow path, but no farther, you just can't see it because of how it's calculated.

Again, all moot since the caravan doesn't bring a wagon at present anyway. I still always build it accessible in personal games, because I don't want to get into bad habits that will bite me in the butt when the wagon comes back.
If it was in 40d, I am well-versed in it. Is the caravan quirk a bug, or a feature to reimplement?

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it was in 40d, I am well-versed in it. Is the caravan quirk a bug, or a feature to reimplement?

Do you mean the lack of a wagon or the check coming from the depot rather than the map edge? I believe wagons will be reimplemented. I'm not sure about the check, as far as I remember it's been this way, not sure why it is.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you mean the lack of a wagon or the check coming from the depot rather than the map edge? I believe wagons will be reimplemented. I'm not sure about the check, as far as I remember it's been this way, not sure why it is.
I meant the absence of the caravan; the check algorithm has always been that way.

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

I went ahead and dug around in Legends mode for the fortress. Couple of interesting things, some a bit spoilery, but it was interesting--I've never used a pocket world before, I liked how easy it was to find things in the tiny Legends lists.

Anyway, first off, the pantheon for our fortress. I made an imgur album here with the Legends screenshots.

Also, I found it entertaining that even though they're sort of crappy, our three artifacts are the only ones that exist in the entire world. It's not surprising, but it is sort of funny to imagine people speaking in hushed whispers of "Entereddwells", the wooden cup.

"Aye, Urist. . .has menacing spikes too, they say."

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, I found it entertaining that even though they're sort of crappy, our three artifacts are the only ones that exist in the entire world. It's not surprising, but it is sort of funny to imagine people speaking in hushed whispers of "Entereddwells", the wooden cup.

Shh! Entereddwells hears all...

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is anyone else wondering how long it well take for someone to start posting "This is F&#$ing Echopaged"? I give it till the 5 turn before anything bad enough happens to spark that.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is anyone else wondering how long it well take for someone to start posting "This is F&#$ing Echopaged"? I give it till the 5 turn before anything bad enough happens to spark that.
Heh. I appreciate your support, Tersr.

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

"Urist! Ye've made it! Good t' see you, me old friend!"

"Bomrek! How're things ou' here in Echopaged?"

"We've go' the most terrifyin' turkeys ye've ever seen, ev'ry artifact in th' known universe, and no booze."

"WHAT?!"

"Welcome to f***ing Echopaged, lad!"

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

...I should totally mod turkeys to be dangerous.  and tameable into war turkeys.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Thanks for not spoiling anything MilestoneTwo! I also laughed at your comments about Entereddwells and the other artifacts! XD I imagine a Dwarf version of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Entereddwells takes the place of the Holy Grail)

Captain's Log, Dwarfdate 2nd Granite, 9.0

A whole day without booze...I don't think I've ever gone a day in my life without booze before. Not even as a wee babe! It's not right to take alcohol away from a Dwarf. How can we even call ourselves Dwarfs if we can't brew a drink! No...this isn't right at all! No wonder everything here is falling apart. Damn it all, I'll have a drink even if I have to kill somedwarf to do it!

"Minkot! Bring me your finest bookkeeper so I can see what you have in this hellhole to brew!"

"But I am our best bookkeeper"

"Too bad-I hate you! I hate you so much! Our new Bookkeeper that dwarf over there!"

"In fact, everyone who was in charge of this awful place be damned! I want every second of soberness wiped from my memory and from the history stones! We'll have a new broker, who actually knows what the hell he's doing! And I'll hire a sheriff, so I can punish whoever let the alcohol stores run dry! And a Doctor to fix their broken bones after I'm through with them-so I can break them all over again!"

(No Sheriff yet because no one meets the requirements, but I'll get and office for him and a jail before the end of the year I hope. All the other positions were filled by the most talented dwarf for the job, ironically we actually have the best broker I've ever had in my one week of playing:

With Flandre's mighty bookkeeping powers we were at least able to fix all the issues with our stocks. Although alcohol doesn't appear currently [because we have none, ARG!] so I'll have to double check once we start brewing to make sure we don't cook the drinks)

"Speaking of breaking bones, I'll not stand for a dozen dwarfs picking berries while four defend us with wooden children toys! We're dwarfs, not Elves!"

(Good gravy did this military thing take a long time to set up. I am not a fan of the interface for this. As a note for anyone who takes a turn after me: I edited the "Metal Armor" uniform to include cloaks, robes and other cloth/leather things that can be worn under/over armor. I also edited the "Archer" uniform to use Metal Armor instead of Leather, and again add in cloaks and robes and etc. The "Leather Armor" uniform I didn't touch so that's at the default settings. I always set all the military squads to wear their uniform over their civilian clothes and to wear them even when they're off-duty. Now behold our mighty Military:

List requires some explanation so here we go:
  • The Oracular Daggers - These guys are our main military force. This 10 man squad is comprised of every dwarf we had with military skills, minus a couple who had more important jobs (like Brewing!) whose slots were filled in by normal dwarfs. They are set to wear the customized Metal Armor at all times. They're set to train year round only at 7 minimum so some can be off-duty each month and hopefully no one will complain. They all have various civilian jobs to return to like hauling, butchering, etc. so one should complain about that either.
  • Scorching Bodices - This is what the Tin Mechanisms call our Archers. We only had 2 dwarfs with any kind of Marksdwarf skill. They're assigned the customize Archer uniform, train minimum 2 each month, and are set to use their ammunition for both Training and Combat; once we actually have any kind of ammunition we should use cheap stuff for training and good stuff for combat.
  • The Pure Constructs - If you can't tell because the name got squished, this squad is lead by the awesome Nic Cage-our newly dedicated BeeKeeper. This is our civilian militia squad, none of them have any military training but they have no important civilian skills to speak of either. They're set to wear Metal Armor and train at minimum half the squad (3 now, will increase if more squad members are added later). Hopefully we'll never need these guys but it can't hurt to have backup!
  • The Odorous Earths - Speaking of backup, this squad is comprised of all our miners. When Picks are used as a weapon in combat they use the Mining skill; we have 2 Legendary and 1 Great Miner so far. Again they're set to wear the customized Metal Armor but their Training schedule is set for a 10 soldier minimum. With only 5 squad members these guys should never train, which is fine because Mining increases their weapon skill and we need them to be mining thing. This squad is here so the miners can be ordered to kill something in an emergency or in case of ambushers/thieves or etc.

(Also for the people taking turns later this is what I set our Automated Workshop Orders to:

I've found Auto Collect Webs tends to send dwarfs off into the most dangerous parts of the caverns and Auto Loom uses up all the thread so you have none left for surgery. You can still order it done manually at the workshops.)

"And now, finally, finally...it's time to make some damn drinks!"

(Or at least it will be for my next update I hope. I'm trying to record everything I change so the next people will know what the hell is going on. I'm still trying to find everything and fix what I can, like for instance we have 2 wells and a fresh water river but our dwarfs are assigned to drink stagnant water out of a Murky Pool for who knows what reason! ARG!

Next update I will hopefully be able to unpause the game. Once I get started I'm hoping to play my whole turn straight though, pausing to update when important things happen but not stop playing until the year is up.

Thanks again to everybody in the thread for the comments and especially for explaining the trade depot thing. You guys rock!)

Edit: MilestoneTwo and CrustyPeanut posted while I was making this update. XD You guys are so awesome.

Edit 2, Revenge of Edit: Speaking of the Watering Zone thing, I just finished either deleting, reassigning, changing or moving every single Zone that we had. One more step complete! 8)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:33:56 pm by Basque »

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit 2, Revenge of Edit: Speaking of the Watering Zone thing, I just finished either deleting, reassigning, changing or moving every single Zone that we had. One more step complete! 8)

Echopaged is getting the Basque Treatment. Shit's going to be straightened out by the end of this year, or heads will roll.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18