Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 25570 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the "Cave Challenge"
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 07:59:22 pm »

I have noticed that with the butchery, but I don't really care: I'm not sure what clutter does.

Clutter, especially the high levels found in butcher workshops, means the dwarves are working abominably slowly.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 08:02:00 pm »

Elk-Bird Bone Bolts

Making things from bone is currently bugged, I hear. The ONE thing you want takes up a WHOLE DAMN STACK of anywhere from a meager 3-7 bones or a valuable 150+ bones. I suggest wood bolts instead.
Older Version: 1 bone = 2 gauntlets or 5 bolts. It think it takes ~10 to make greaves, though.

Oh. Right. I probably didn't think 'o' that.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 08:05:22 pm »

Clutter, especially the high levels found in butcher workshops, means the dwarves are working abominably slowly.
To add to that-- it starts by making dwarves twice as slow to do anything, and then maxes out at ten times as slow.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 08:14:46 pm »

Elk-Bird Bone Bolts

Making things from bone is currently bugged, I hear. The ONE thing you want takes up a WHOLE DAMN STACK of anywhere from a meager 3-7 bones or a valuable 150+ bones. I suggest wood bolts instead.

I think your thinking of adventure mode crafting?
he may, I dont play adventure mode or update, so I'm a bit out of touch.

EDIT - unessecary post
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:20:17 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 08:20:42 pm »

Update:
Farms are set up, as is magma smelting system. Had a farmer get mauled by a Cave Croc before my Fortress Guard got out there. They killed it, but one has a torn-up head and is in the hospital. I'm expecting a full recovery.
I was manuvering a group of Cavern Rangers in to kill the croc from above, but the croc saw the farmer first. Tore off an arm. Tried to get him to the hospital, but he died on the way there.

More advice:
- Soap is important.
- Carving Walls, and at important spots, Fortifications for a tunnel system into the upper-walls allows the Cavern Rangers to travel without being seen or being out in the open. It's not my first choice, but camo isn't in the game yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:15:43 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »

Five - All 3 caverns may be used, but not the magma sea.

Why this restriction?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 10:15:01 pm »

Why this restriction?
The goal of the challenge is to survive off the caves: you use only the resources they offer you. If they give you magma, great. If not, you make it work. Same with water and good (open) patches of land for farming.
Of course, you CAN use it: the Hammerer isn't going to show up and hit you or anything.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 11:48:37 pm »

Why this restriction?
The goal of the challenge is to survive off the caves: you use only the resources they offer you. If they give you magma, great. If not, you make it work. Same with water and good (open) patches of land for farming.
Of course, you CAN use it: the Hammerer isn't going to show up and hit you or anything.

I really balked at some of the rules, but then again, it's not really a CHALLENGE if it isn't challengING, now is it?

I won't be playing this any time soon, simply because I like my steelworking a LOT. 
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 12:54:33 am »

I won't be playing this any time soon, simply because I like my steelworking a LOT.
I hear you. I've got a nice volcanic fortress with massive stockpiles of Iron and Bronze, but it's nice to try something different sometimes.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 02:04:25 am »

It has begun: the Metal of Blueness, mighty civilization of the north sent a party to found a new fort, a deep fort, so deep no goblin may threaten it.  The Spirit-Mirror of Dance, apparently some sort of shamanic dervish sect of the bearded folk went north, past the frozen lands into a land known to be full of goodness and savagery to found Twistedtowns.  We were greeted by snow and badger men.

Found all three caverns--the first a nice sprawling one with lots of stalactites, bad for marksdwarves.  Still it has a lake and I plan to place the hospital area there, along with some fail safe devices to isolate it from the other areas

the second cavern will be the primary fort--when the miner broke through the wall, he was instantly greeted by a herd of elk birds, lucky for me I broke through above the ground.

Third cavern is dead and lifeless, except the many bloodthorns that grow there.  Here I will gather wood for beds :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:24:53 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 05:36:56 am »

I have noticed that with the butchery, but I don't really care: I'm not sure what clutter does.
It slows down the production speed of the cluttered workshop. A pink *cluttered* workshop may even lead the dwarves to abandon tasks scheduled at that workshop, until some of the clutter has been removed.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 06:56:02 am »

I"ve done this plenty of times, and to be honest I find building a fortress inside a cavern easier then building one with acces to the surface.
You don't have to deal with goblins but instead you will be fighting the occasional forgotten beast. Give me a single forgotten beast over a siege of goblins anytime.
Cavern critters are generally not more dangerous then surface ones, the only thing that scares me are blind cave ogres, but then normal surface ogres are scary to.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 10:55:41 am »

I"ve done this plenty of times, and to be honest I find building a fortress inside a cavern easier then building one with acces to the surface.
You don't have to deal with goblins but instead you will be fighting the occasional forgotten beast. Give me a single forgotten beast over a siege of goblins anytime.
Cavern critters are generally not more dangerous then surface ones, the only thing that scares me are blind cave ogres, but then normal surface ogres are scary to.
A well set-up fortress can survive anywhere. It's setting it up that's hard(er).

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 11:49:35 am »

Elk-Bird Bone Bolts

I think your thinking of adventure mode crafting?

You can't make anything out of bone in adventure mode (yet), only small stone rocks.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 12:41:55 pm »

I ought to try this in my modded world where my dorfs can use blowguns.

Here's how I'll lay out my embark:

Dwarves:
Two doctors as normal,
Two Competent Miners,
One Novice Record Keeper/Novice Leader/Competent Spearman/Adequate Fighter/Novice Armor User/Shield User, and,
Two Adequate Spearmen/Adequate Fighter/Shield User/Novice Armor User.

Supplies:
40 random meat of cave creatures, 20 of two types, 20 cave fish or lobster, 20 Plump Helmets, 10 of Plump Helmet Spawn, Pigtail Seeds, Cave Wheat Seeds and Sweetpod Seeds, 1 Pigtail Rope, 2 Dogs, 2 Cats, and what remains of points for tons of underground creature leather, underground wood if avaliable, and cave spider silk cloth.

My Military will be lain out like this:

Fortress Guard: Started by my leader, Defend Camps. (Using same example materials as author)
Copper or Obsidian Spears (I modded spears to be made of the stone),
Black-Cap or Copper Shields,
Elk-Bird Bone Leggings, Helms, Gauntlets,
Elk-Bird Leather Armor, High Boots, Cloaks,
Pigtail Fibre Shirts, Socks.

Fortress Archers: Assist Fortress Guard, Pick Off Incoming Enemies.
Black-Cap, Copper or Elk-Bird Bone Crossbows,
Black-Cap, Copper or Elk-Bird Bone Bolts,
Elk-Bird Leather Quivers,
Elk-Bird Leather Armor, Hoods, Gloves, Shoes,

Cavern Rangers: Keep Watch for Enemy Animal-men, Dangerous Creatures.
Black-Cap Blowguns,
Black-Cap or Copper Blowdarts,
Elk-Bird Leather Quivers, Armor, Low Boots, Gloves,

Cavern Explorers: Map Out Unexplored Areas of Caverns.
Obsidian or Copper Shortswords,
Black-Cap or Copper Bucklers,
Elk-Bird Bone Greaves, Gauntlets, Helms,
Elk-Bird Leather Armor, High Boots, Gloves, Cloaks,

Note that, like the author, I used the materials he used mostly, and I modded my last world to let my dwarfs use blowguns.

Oddly, I also let dwarfs able to make wood weapons, but I can't make them at a carpenter's or craftsdwarf's workshops.

I also modded in regular daggers functionally identical to large ones, but the regular daggers can be used by my dorfs.

EDIT: On that world, I basically cheated and I have most useful metals and fuel readily avaliable from my smelter. I modded the reactions to spew out metals like iron or silver; I left the reaction names unchanged. But I guess I could just do some digging before I get my operations set up.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:08:45 pm by UristMcHuman »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13