Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's your favorite method of defending your fort?

Spartan's way - Badass dwarven army
Trapper's way - Stone traps, weapon traps, and cages
Mechanic's way - Pressure plates, supports, and levers
Mason's way - A single row of walls blocking off your gates
Sniper's way - Hunters, marksdwarves, ballistae, and ranged weaponry
Beastmaster's way - War dogs, zerg swarm catsplosions, and giant badger army
Armok's way - Magma, and nothing else but a floodgate and lever to release it

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Preferred method of warfare?  (Read 7522 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Preferred method of warfare?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:22 am »

the Magma is always so far away.

make it closer

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 04:31:40 am »

Defence in depth. My current fort drags them past a closed redoubt, through a loophole, into a basilica, then when they're engaging my forces proper, I open the false door in the corridor and bring in forces from the rear, participate in a good solid kettle war. Then push forward with a combined forces to wipe out the last of the invaders, using the loophole and redoubt to defend against stragglers.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 04:36:39 am »

I hate it when retreating enemies manage their escape, sometimes running faster than the dwarves. The solution to that is to close the main gate and open a trapped side door closer to the surface. The retreating goblins spot the 'shortcut' and get cut to ribbons.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 04:37:55 am »

Mix of cage traps and a 40 dwarf military decked out in the best gear we have. If you don't die with honor then you die with nothing.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 09:18:07 am »

Call yourself a spartan?! Goblins are nothing! Go against Dig Deeper orcs or LoFR voidwalkers!

Against the orcs of Dig Deeper 30 spartan warriors and a big spiked pit.

Against the mod LoFR, I use 15 spartans, 20 marksmen. I also deploy zinger bombs (hatches a few z levels above drop living grenades on enemies, killing them from the height and causing them to blow up themselves and enemy), and pastured sabre tooth tigers on a retractable drawbridge right above distracted enemies. One minute goblin bowmen shooting at dwarves, next minute OMFG ITS GOT MY THROAT!

Dropping living bombs? I thought that didn't do any damage.. I thought both creatures are unharmed if one gets dropped on another... What did you drop? Are you sure its the dropping animals that does the damage?
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 10:47:09 am »

Dropping living bombs? I thought that didn't do any damage.. I thought both creatures are unharmed if one gets dropped on another... What did you drop? Are you sure its the dropping animals that does the damage?
Read it carefully: he's playing a modded game. Dropping critters is ineffective in Vanilla.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 10:50:41 am »

Aye, LoFL adds a living grenade that can be tamed from the caverns. Drop em on goblins, or chain them up at the entrance, and it's the ambush that gets surprised. The downside is how hard it is to effectively catch them. They don't always show up in caves.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 11:10:49 am »

*strumming a guitar while sitting in front of a magma forge* Brother, I solve fortress problems. Not problems like, "where did the plump helmets go" or "who didn't make me a glass throne", because those would fall under the purview of a manager or a sheriff. No, I deal with the big problems, like... Like how am I gonna stop that big ol' goblin siege comin' to rip us all a new Clown Car? Well, my answer... Is use a crossbow. And if that don't work? Use more crossbow.

Because there's really not much a Titan or anything can do, flying or not, if the entire fortress is bottled up better than Vault 101 and fifty-sixty dorfs are poking you full of holes. Designed by the Toady One, built by me... And you'd best hope they ain't pointed at you.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 11:22:54 am »

*strumming a guitar while sitting in front of a magma forge* Brother, I solve fortress problems. Not problems like, "where did the plump helmets go" or "who didn't make me a glass throne", because those would fall under the purview of a manager or a sheriff. No, I deal with the big problems, like... Like how am I gonna stop that big ol' goblin siege comin' to rip us all a new Clown Car? Well, my answer... Is use a crossbow. And if that don't work? Use more crossbow.

Because there's really not much a Titan or anything can do, flying or not, if the entire fortress is bottled up better than Vault 101 and fifty-sixty dorfs are poking you full of holes. Designed by the Toady One, built by me... And you'd best hope they ain't pointed at you.

From the very beginning I thought this was familiar from somewhere... good job mate!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 11:27:42 am »

I much prefer using archers and marksdwarves. I always have a squad of 10 hammerdwarves with masterwork silver warhammers and steel armour for when things get rough though.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 11:43:05 am »

If there's one thing I've learned it's that no method is 100 percent perfect. Generally I go with traps but these tend to be high maintenance and there's a risk of dwarves being ambushed while cleaning them. A way around this is to designate a burrow for all my dwarves and ban them from the trap area until I can close the gate to make it safe. Again, high maintenance.

My current fortress is using a combination of marksdwarves and a simple bridge trap over water. The bridge takes care of most of them and the marksdwarves take care of any that manage to get through.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 12:33:27 pm »

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 12:54:45 pm »

My dwarves are badass. Once they are recruited, they're Career soldiers. They can deal with a goblin ambush easy as magma kills a noble. True Dwarves are Axedwarves, Hammerdwarves, and Brewers.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 01:50:14 pm »

I like the Spartan way. No danger rooms, VERY little traps, usually none.

http://postimage.org/image/2wjifeo10/

unrelated
http://postimage.org/image/2wjqp3ehw/

Cannon fodder are renewable resource.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:00:20 pm by dwarfhoplite »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 03:12:17 pm »

Universal conscription into a militia primarily composed of marksdwarves, with a squad on sentry duty in a watchtower over the main gates year-round and a couple of melee squads deployed to lie in wait should the gates be brought down. Traps are used sparingly, mostly placed just inside the entrances to deter wild animals from wandering into the fortress and buy time in case we have to go into lockdown in a hurry.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3