Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111024 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #555 on: May 21, 2012, 09:40:00 pm »

It does open up a variety of "interesting and new" playstyles for the average player.

"Oh shit, I'm lagging."
*Pop all cool-downs and AoEs and see if you're still alive in a couple of seconds.*

The strategic options it opens are endless. Well, not really, that's the only one. It's a "feature".
It's a game. Have fun.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 21, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »

Oh Blizzard you smart son of a bitch. Always tinkering with the metagame.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 22, 2012, 12:32:36 am »

Apparently people are getting their accounts hacked left and right. Someone dun goofed up.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 22, 2012, 01:28:45 am »

if this happens when the RMAH goes live they may be legally liable due to the real value of items that can be lost due to hacking, much like banks are required to do.

Edit: A colleague at Blizz tells me they are talking about doing "rollbacks for characters that were hacked". No official confirmation at this point.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:40:51 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 22, 2012, 02:17:02 am »

I kinda stopped having fun at hell and infurno mode.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 22, 2012, 02:22:13 am »

hell is very fun still to me, but I can see higher levels being a grind. Going to continue to push each class through hell until I am ready to make a commitment to inferno.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 22, 2012, 02:49:19 am »

hell is very fun still to me, but I can see higher levels being a grind. Going to continue to push each class through hell until I am ready to make a commitment to inferno.

My issue it that the higher difficulty has no stride. It becomes more of a game of persistance and grindin then one really of skill.

Ohh my goodness... I just realised... Hell and Infurno is MMORPG mode!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 22, 2012, 04:41:45 am »

Apparently people are getting their accounts hacked left and right. Someone dun goofed up.

I had a friend get his account hacked. Not sure how, but I told him to get an authenticator. I've used mine in my short stint in WoW, Starcraft 2 (though I never did anything in it worthwhilte) and more recently D3. I have a feeling that it's linked more to an exploit in public games, RealID friends spoofing, and possibly a glitch that involves the names of the character more than account security, though. In a way, I'm glad they got this sort of thing out of the way early on, rather than when real money could possibly be on the line.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 22, 2012, 05:11:26 am »

If you don't have an authenticator on your account you deserve to get hacked ;)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #564 on: May 22, 2012, 05:28:33 am »

Really? So even though every other account I have on the internet has been fine with one of my nice long 16 character randomized passwords, I have to use some inconvenient authentication system to keep my battle.net account secure or I 'deserve to be hacked'? Please..

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 22, 2012, 05:47:25 am »

Really? So even though every other account I have on the internet has been fine with one of my nice long 16 character randomized passwords, I have to use some inconvenient authentication system to keep my battle.net account secure or I 'deserve to be hacked'? Please..

This.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 22, 2012, 05:51:02 am »

Do people say this for real or just to annoy people? I really can't tell.

And yeah, how a company as big as Blizzard can't keep their users accounts secure even with all the dongles is pretty unbelievable. Is the market value of the accounts (or the possessions of the accounts) so high that all the hackers focus on them? Or why is that other game account services don't seem to have these problems?

Something is definitely going pretty wrong at Blizzard's end.

EDIT: In other security news, Blizzard passwords are not case sensitive.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:18:08 am by LASD »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 22, 2012, 06:30:21 am »

Do people say this for real or just to annoy people? I really can't tell.

I think it's more that the obscene layered irony of all conversation on the internet has made communication meaningless so people say shit without even putting a modicum of thought into what they're saying.  It can always be wrangled afterward to not be offensive.

On topic, I think I'll wait to get this until Blizzard's got a better handle on things.
Shoes...

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 22, 2012, 07:05:06 am »

Is the market value of the accounts (or the possessions of the accounts) so high that all the hackers focus on them?

This.  As silly as it sounds, wow gold selling is a lucrative side business for organized crime.  And they aren't getting the passwords from Blizzard, they're taking it from the users.  (hacked accounts are used for gold grinding, and as a quick dump of any cash in the bank and liquidation of items.)  Even though I don't have an authenticator, it really is the smart thing to do if you want to prevent hacking, but don't want to give up the shady side of the internet.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 22, 2012, 07:14:36 am »

Except there are reports that people with authenticators are still getting their accounts hacked too.

So maybe: "If you have an account you deserve to get hacked?"
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 98