Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111032 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #540 on: May 21, 2012, 08:50:27 am »

My thought on the story:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:43 am »

My thought on the story:

I agree. It wasn't until the middle of Act II that the story went to crap. And then it gets worse and worse. I thought the story was great until then.

What I don't understand is why coming up with a good story would be difficult. They have the money to hire good writers. And it really doesn't need a whole lot of writers to come up with an overarching storyline. I bet it was written by committee or even each act written by different writers rather than one cohesive vision.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:11 am »

PS

Also the "new historian" is terrible, compared to Deckard Cain. Cain tells you what the monster is about. The new guy just demonstrates constantly how little he actually knows about what he's describing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:11:00 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 21, 2012, 10:47:02 am »

Of the story,

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 21, 2012, 11:00:33 am »

Also, what is it with the greatest powers in the land being unable to destroy the physical bodies of things? And yet when the player characters arrive, they stick a knife in shit and it dies just fine? The whole "dismembering/trapping powerful entities because we can't destroy them" logic doesn't hold much water. Ever. Want proof how dumb it is? Robot Chicken has it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:06:30 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #545 on: May 21, 2012, 11:06:42 am »

There is certainly more story in d3 than the previous diablo's.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 21, 2012, 11:09:26 am »

Oh, much more story. It's not a good thing, I find.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 21, 2012, 11:11:14 am »

Yes, and WHAT ABOUT THAT HRRRMMMMM!!!

I can't even begin to take the story seriously when it doesn't take itself seriously.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:19:57 am by nenjin »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 21, 2012, 12:23:42 pm »

There was a time in the series when the story was not only good, it was a major reason why you played on.

I know it's supposed to be all cool to go "I skip cutscenes hurr hurr hurr", but considering Blizzard spends millions on both the writing, artistry and cut scenes, I try to watch. Since, honestly, it's shit like that, which made this a $60 game that took 10+ years to come out. So when people just ignore them I feel like it's almost as bad as ignoring terrible gameplay. Because, once a upon a time, people actually gave a shit about the story because it was worth giving a shit about.

Really? I loved Diablo 1 but only have vague memories of any story. mostly that leoric was a good king that went mad and that people was led into a trap in the church.
I've probably played diablo 2 more than any other game but I only watched the cutscenes the first time i think, because I recall them even less than diablo 1.

Now, this does not mean i dont enjoy stories. I read a lot of fantasy and i consider Planescape tornment to be the best RPG, But story is not why i play diablo and when its so obviously cheesy i skip it.

The cutscenes looks awesome as always though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00:07 pm »

I think the earlier story was more effective because the bad guys didn't talk to you so much. You'd get your "now you die" when you meet the bosses, but in D3, you have illusions talking to you, journal entries, long interactions with obnoxious child emperors....and as one friend of mine said "The beauty of the earlier stories was the simplicity. World is going to shit, it's on you. There's a Lord of Hell: Go to hell and kill them." That was the premise. Now it's been overblown in typical Blizzard fashion, to the point where it's about everything except going to Hell to kill a demon lord.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 21, 2012, 01:37:30 pm »

Oddly enough though they don't tell you the expansion content seems somewhat obvious right now. Especially if you pay attention.

The real question is if they are going to use the already existing story to carry it... or make something up.

I am speaking of course of

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 21, 2012, 02:38:34 pm »

Yeah that's a given Neonivek, or at least he will be one of the bad guys, with

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:08 pm »

Damn it, I was fully expecting the second one to be a villian at some point in the story-line of this game. First you help someone, then you lop their head off because they were secretly evil. It makes perfect diablo logical sense (and rpg sense as a whole).

I'm buying it Thursday, but I'll be slightly miffed that I won't be killing that NPC. I personally think that Haemon should be on my hit-list as well. He probably secretly harbours resentment towards me for not finding any other solution to his problem than killing his wife, so goes the standard round-about way of arming and armouring us heavily so that we can start a war between heaven and hell, with us either perishing by the hand of daemons or the whole world being destroyed as his goal. The sweet part is that once he finally manages to get you killed off, he's also got himself a top of the line forge with millions in cash and a stack of ingredients to keep his arms dealing empire running. He will be able to control the war between heaven and hell, with him as the only real winner. The angels didn't help, hell was the problem, and heroes the murderers. They'll all pay, revenge is sweet.

Again, standard rpg logic. I can't believe that Blizzard didn't think of it. Oh well, there's still at least one expansion pack for them to write that in to
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:35:58 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 21, 2012, 09:25:09 pm »

Latency problems.. so annoying!!  :'(

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 21, 2012, 09:35:52 pm »

I guess managing to have latency lag in single player is an impressive and new feat ... right?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 98