Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111023 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #525 on: May 21, 2012, 01:56:29 am »

I successfully called 3 of the 5 major twists in the story well in advance of them happening. So by my calculation that makes it fairly cliche. I could really forgive most of it though, except....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But yeah. I was never deeply enamored with D3's storyline, but even from here it seems pretty terrible. It's ironic that all of Act 1 is basically the back story of Leoric going back to Diablo 1, and yet the actual APPEARANCE of King Leoric could not be more uninspired or cliche'd.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 21, 2012, 02:21:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Honestly the issue I have with their reimagining of King Leoric's plight was that the original Diablo did it perfectly. You were always told just enough to imagine it inside your own head.

Lets just face it... Diablo 3's story is the worst of the series. It makes the first game's story seem amazing (and I actually think the first game had the best story especially if you crack open the game manual). Everything the characters said in the first was something you wanted to hear. I often found myself speaking to everyone in town just to hear the same story from different angles. None of the other games really engaged me as much. Probably because we have to go to soo many locations we never really get to experience the world comming to life.

I guess also because Diablo 2 was soo detached from anything that was going on. Yes each location had its own lore... but in the original everyone was so invested and often spoke of personal experience. You never heard of just some old creature like in Diablo 2... no everything seemed important and dangerous in Diablo 2.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:31:57 am by Neonivek »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 21, 2012, 02:55:38 am »

...Story? What is this "story" you speak of?
I go somewhere and if something moves I kill it. Though occasionally some text box appear and clutter the interface, but i just press esc then and resume killing.

seriously though. I've soon reached act 2 in inferno and I've only listened to the unskippable things, like the evil (moron) monologues which annoy me so badly.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 21, 2012, 02:58:09 am »

IMHO, the story is so terrible I will not mention it any further than I already have. Story isn't why I'm playing the game...

People are further exploiting the wizard's force shield and such to perma-diamond skin and be practically invincible: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/tx6gr/in_depth_guide_to_the_critical_mass_cdr_wizard/

So both monk and wizard are tied for invincible broken class.

^ And you can either esc and space bar through conversations, one or the other.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 21, 2012, 02:59:31 am »

IMHO, the story is so terrible I will not mention it any further than I already have. Story isn't why I'm playing the game

This is the common perception of Diablo 3. The story is SOOO Bad the only defense is that Story is completely unimportant to the game. They might as well just point in a dirrection and say "kill there"

The only unusual thing is. People don't just go "yeah its pretty bad" and move on. They litterally HAVE to go "I don't play it for the story" or "I don't pay attention to the story" in some sort of defensive way.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:02:40 am by Neonivek »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 21, 2012, 03:06:09 am »

Yes, I did say "only the Unskippable" didn't I?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 21, 2012, 03:08:51 am »

Yes, I did say "only the Unskippable" didn't I?
It's all skippable.

@Neonivek
I put thousands of hours into Guild Wars and I feel the same way.

In fact the best part of the storyline was in the 2nd expansion. A few characters put on a terrible play highlighting how ridiculous and stupid the plot of the original Guild Wars Prophecies was. It's nice when developers don't take themselves too seriously.

It's too bad that it is so hard to get to the secret level in Diablo3 because the story behind that is the best part of the game.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:31 am »

It's not too hard. After running through Nightmare with some friends, I decided to go back and get the parts for it.

It's a pain in the ass, sure, and RNG can hate you and make it take longer, but 2 hours or so running for the parts (one part in particular) isn't too bad.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 21, 2012, 04:10:00 am »

People are further exploiting the wizard's force shield and such to perma-diamond skin and be practically invincible: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/tx6gr/in_depth_guide_to_the_critical_mass_cdr_wizard/

Great, now I want to try a wizard.

Also been tempted to try to make a barb tank, but I suspect that just wouldn't work any better than monk, or now wizard.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 21, 2012, 04:48:20 am »

Woo, just finished my first run through the game. Blizzard are masters of cutscene graphics.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 21, 2012, 04:58:20 am »

It's all skippable.

They're few, but there is some. First thing when you go to heaven for example.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 21, 2012, 06:03:16 am »

IMHO, the story is so terrible I will not mention it any further than I already have. Story isn't why I'm playing the game...

Woo! Now I really don't need to play the game, since I know the two builds I'd end up using, the invincible monk or the invincible utility wizard.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 21, 2012, 06:12:15 am »

Woo! Now I really don't need to play the game, since I know the two builds I'd end up using, the invincible monk or the invincible utility wizard.
I'm having a whole lot of fun with witch doctor, the variety in rune choices are awesome.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 21, 2012, 08:32:36 am »

I find it hilarious that people were complaining about looking up "viable" builds for D2 and now they are doing the same for D3.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:43 am »

...Story? What is this "story" you speak of?
I go somewhere and if something moves I kill it. Though occasionally some text box appear and clutter the interface, but i just press esc then and resume killing.

seriously though. I've soon reached act 2 in inferno and I've only listened to the unskippable things, like the evil (moron) monologues which annoy me so badly.

There was a time in the series when the story was not only good, it was a major reason why you played on. In D3, everyone is a sniveling bitch. From the NPCs to the mini-bosses to the actual bosses, everyone is either a whiny victim, a moustache twirling evil-doer or a psychotic optimist. The ONLY parts of the story I actually have liked are the parts around Leoric's Torture Chamber, and the Companion and Artisan backstories. The rest, ESPECIALLY the bad guys, feel shallow and the fact you tear through them like wet tissue paper on normal doesn't help.

I know it's supposed to be all cool to go "I skip cutscenes hurr hurr hurr", but considering Blizzard spends millions on both the writing, artistry and cut scenes, I try to watch. Since, honestly, it's shit like that, which made this a $60 game that took 10+ years to come out. So when people just ignore them I feel like it's almost as bad as ignoring terrible gameplay. Because, once a upon a time, people actually gave a shit about the story because it was worth giving a shit about.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 98