Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111337 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »

45 minutes for the first chapter? :o

Did you rush or something?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2012, 05:34:13 pm »

Could be a condensed version because they want the basics tested, not every last fragment and detail exhaustively gone over.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2012, 07:07:10 pm »

I haven't seen any difference at all between open and closed (only got to play closed yesterday), content-wise.

I have seen a couple of events that are different/nonexistent in different playthroughs, and there are things you'll miss if you just charge from waypoint to waypoint. I've also seen Doom II finished in under 15 minutes, that doesn't mean it's a 15-minute game.

But yes, I did just finish a co-op session with a couple friends and it was quite enjoyable. Recommended.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2012, 07:15:25 pm »

The beta is a third of the first chapter by the way, it's been stated enough times before.

This is a fantastic game, my favourite classes are the Barbarian and the Demon Hunter.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2012, 10:21:18 pm »

The beta is a third of the first chapter by the way, it's been stated enough times before.

This is a fantastic game, my favourite classes are the Barbarian and the Demon Hunter.
Does it open up any?  I feel like I'm on a path with no branches... at all.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:38 pm »

Love the barbarian. Love jumping around everywhere and instagibbing everything.

PFFT... DPS classes get on my level!

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2012, 01:13:37 am »

I realy don't wan't to spoil the game for myself so I'm not letting myself near the beta, it sound realy awesome though.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2012, 01:47:25 am »

I realy don't wan't to spoil the game for myself so I'm not letting myself near the beta, it sound realy awesome though.

It's pretty much like doing everything up until Blood Raven in D2. There's maybe 5 spells and 3 or 4 runes per class, and the least surprising intro quests ever. (Cain's in trouble, then you kill a big mean baddie. The end.) Point being... join the dark side, it's great fun and we have cookies.

P.S. Monk's staff-twirl-helicopter-buzzsaw-charge... hilarious. Witch Doc tossing JARS OF SPIDERS at enemies? Also hilarious.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2012, 03:44:13 am »

It's pretty good. I do have some complaints though. I find way too much "Gee whiz!" in the UI. Everything doesn't need to be lights and shinies. I feel like Blizzard's relationship with Activision really shows in the MASSACRE! and RAMPAGE! bonuses.

There are some logical inconsistencies to me too with the way they've re-wired skills. Weapons, by and large, are cosmetic. When your primary attack is an ability which just translates weapon stats into a formula...it takes some of the "a sword is a sword" out of the whole thing, except for attack speed and how damage and some stat bonuses are tailored. But it's all layered through so many formulas that you kind of stop paying attention to what kind of weapon you're wielding. It kind of applies to armor too, since equipment restrictions have pretty much (except for some weapon types) been completely obliterated.

Leveling kinda feels anti-climatic too. (And has more of the "Gee-whiz!" goin' on.)

Not sure how I feel about skills and runes yet. My gut reaction is that it's a little underwhelming and has taken all the novelty out of a "build." The differences between characters now seems to come down entirely to gear. Maybe I'll find more to like when everything is unlocked.

Visuals are pretty outstanding though. There's lots of little things in each area to smash, open, loot or interact with. Of course, it's hard to appreciate much of it when you've got 3 party members destroying everything in sight.

Of the 3 classes I've tried, Monk is by far my favorite right now. Each hit just feels so satisfying. Witch Doctor is fun in a chill and relaxed sort of way.

The game feels....pretty damn easy on normal. The regularity of health orbs and the way they heal everyone almost functions like a backup AI healer. Potions are auto-consumed right before death too and it all just feels a little......idiot proof. At 1/3rd of Chapter 1, it's probably too early to tell. (And there are 5 difficulties.) Still. It contributed to a somewhat mindless bashing experience. I'm not sure I ever used a potion on my first run through, voluntarily or otherwise. I had a stack of 35 by the end of it.

I'll be buying based on the SP experience for sure. Despite what I don't like about it, there's plenty of good stuff going on.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2012, 05:20:24 am »

I don't really know what you'd be spoiling yourself for.

It's the first 1/3rd of the first out of four acts. You're going to be playing the exact same thing when you start the full game.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2012, 06:08:36 am »

I found a neat trick that's useful for ranged characters (especially the Demon Hunter). If you shift-click, move, then shift-click again, your character automatically keeps running until your attack cooldown is finished, and then attacks as soon as possible. Makes kiting incredibly easy.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2012, 06:15:38 am »

Damn, my laptop can't run this game :(

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2012, 08:02:33 am »

I'm not too sold on the whole rune system, can we invest points in runes at some points or something? Because right now it appear to me it's just a level based skill unlock, no hard decision or character specialization. Since it's so easy switching them, there will be an ideal build for every part of the game and every run through with a character will be exactly the same. In fact I don't see much incentive to replay the same character twice, unless there is some mechanic that escape me.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2012, 08:12:42 am »

*Spend 5 minutes clicking the "play" button because it can't find the server for some reason to let me play a singleplayer game*

*Get it to work, play for 5 minutes, get booted to main menu because it lost connection, click play and it flashes up an error code*

Fuck this ¬_¬

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2012, 08:18:40 am »

*Spend 5 minutes clicking the "play" button because it can't find the server for some reason to let me play a singleplayer game*

*Get it to work, play for 5 minutes, get booted to main menu because it lost connection, click play and it flashes up an error code*

Fuck this ¬_¬

Yeaah, that seemed bound to happen when they let everyone into the game at once. Guess they're trying to prevent this kind of thing happening at launch by testing it now. Most likely it's gonna be a clusterfuck anyway. Makes me kinda happy I have to wait a few days for my physical copy.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 98