Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111323 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2012, 01:58:40 pm »

1.13 added respecing in Diablo II anyway, so at least you have an out-of-jail-free card.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2012, 03:08:58 pm »

Excessive cherry-picked quoting

If you can't respond to someone without indivudually commenting on every sentance seperatly then please make it a numbered list so I don't have to go hunting through two posts to piece together what you're responding to and with. Especially when you cherry-pick which parts of sentances you want to respond to and leave the rest behind.

Anyway, finally got into the game (for a while, before it booted me for losing connection again ¬_¬). Got to level 3, unlocked an ability for LMB and one for RMB. Is there a way to rebind those? It seemed from the interface to be specifically bound to the button its set too... Which is kinda lame if it's true.

I really like the little monster lore things you get, and how they play while you carry on smashing zombies faces in. The combat in general feels much more visceral than D2. I was playing a barbarian, and it was pretty satisfying clickin on them dudes. I was surprised to see potions, as I'm sure there was an interview a while ago where they said potions had been removed. Definatly glad they're still in. The levels seem much less open and explore-y now though, which is lame.

If only it didn't have this horrible always-online DRM, I could actually give it a proper go!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2012, 04:20:26 pm »

The always connected thing is annoying, yeah, but this is a stress test. They're prolly going from too many servers to about enough using this test. Though my rule of thumb is that stress tests = Christmas season.

Still, I find having lag in a singleplayer game a little much.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2012, 04:30:57 pm »

I don't mind the always on thing. I had a bit of lag whilst playing but nothing game breaking.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »

Right, but I have to connect to the US servers, Asia and Europe are closer, but never was able to connect to them. It's possible to lag out and die that way.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2012, 04:50:07 pm »

The option to bind (almost) any skill to any button is under Options -> Gameplay -> Elective mode. right click on skill slot, pick what you want.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »

Why on earth is that hidden in the options menu and not just part of the UI? :S Seems like a really odd decision.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2012, 07:28:11 pm »

It's not something you're going to want to toggle more than once?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2012, 07:40:32 pm »

Haha fair point, still would've been nice if it was mentioned in game. :P

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2012, 10:19:24 pm »

it might be in your manual or even in a revised tutorial when the game goes gold.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:24 pm »

Just beat the skel king (again) but this time with a level 7 monk... I was trying with a level 6, but I dinged right before the door to the king.  ;D  I gotta say, if they just slowed down leveling, it would be a hell of a lot more fun.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2012, 02:42:25 pm »

So, open beta's over and I felt the need to ramble.

!!DISCLAMER!!
These are opinions, not facts!

Spoiler: What D3 isn't (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: What I liked (click to show/hide)

In short, I really enjoyed it. I did get a bit of the old "go beat up monsters with your friends" nostalgia that made D2 great (in spite of D2's numerous shortcomings), so I'll call it a win. Looking forward to release.

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2012, 03:14:43 pm »

I didn't play diablo 3 yet(will probably buy it when it releases though) but I watched quite a few vids of people playing it.
I may be wrong but I got the feeling that game was designed from the start to have a console port.

I got that first impression when they showed the different characters abilities, it looked like everything was made so it could be directed with a pad.
And then in the game the number of actual abilities you can bind seem very limited, limited enough that you could assign a pad button to each slot.

The question is: am I wrong? :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2012, 03:48:05 pm »

Unless Blizzard has some secret plan to port D3 to tablets and consoles, yeah, I'd say you're wrong. The game didn't scream console or tablet friendly to me.

On the other hand, one would expect Blizzard/Activision to want to capitalize on that market with one of their biggest flagship title.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:39:09 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2012, 03:50:43 pm »

Spoiler: What D3 isn't (click to show/hide)
Agree.
Real money AH means nothing to me because I'm the same as you, but the always online sucks when the servers are down... the other two points, I couldn't care less.

Spoiler: What I liked (click to show/hide)
The crafting is always better than drops part kind of pissed me off.  There was no point even looking at loot I got because the crafted gear was always better.  If I made dex armor on my mage, I'd just stick it in the shared box and let my monk/DH use it.  I felt a little disenchanted by the fact that my mage could wear the same armor as my Barbarian (because all the armor I saw this weekend was "Generic Chest Piece of Blah" and when you dropped it on the ground it looked like different armor depending on who you were (mage/barb/witch doc)  As a programmer, I think this was probably the biggest "cop out" to itemization I've seen in a long time.  I loved that plate in D2 required strength and anyone with proper strength could wear it... of course, this means more models, etc... but they had what, 3 years to make this game?

Group dynamic?  It depended on the goal.  I soloed all the stories because it was much quicker for me to just do it without having someone tag along and grouped for the grinding to 13.  Everyone was solo.  No items were being traded ("Oh hey, you are a Barbarian... this might be awesome for you" ... instead it was silent.  The only chatter in party chat was a rare "here" [the way to the next level] but you didn't even need that.  You saw your quest update, gate to town, click on the banner.)

As far as bosses changing tactics.  I didn't see it and I ran the king many... many times.  (I got all achievements this weekend.)  What I did see with the king was players (like myself) that would freeze/stun the boss before he would cast those skills because the animation leading up to it was well known.  This is kind of neat that you can easily pick out the animations and prevent them in most cases, but I think it better describes why you may have seen what you saw?

In short, I really enjoyed it. I did get a bit of the old "go beat up monsters with your friends" nostalgia that made D2 great (in spite of D2's numerous shortcomings), so I'll call it a win. Looking forward to release.

Elective mode is/was the only way to go with some of the classes, IMHO.  Some of the skills were crap.

Hit boxes were really jacked up.  I felt like I had to hit high (aim for the head) and trying to walk around without using your primary skill was a PITA... but I guess you can unbind the primary and make it another key (never tried) so that may be a solution.

Yeah, by the end, I could tell you every dungeon tile and every possible exit/entrance to it.  Some were even so obviously rare that you knew that had to be the way to the next level.

Agree on Templar.  Pretty pointless so far.

--------------

Saying all that, it was a fun game, but I wouldn't have called it Diablo.  The sounds, story, and names are the only thing Diablo-Like.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 98