Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Bay 12 Gun Thread  (Read 13433 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Bay 12 Gun Thread
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:34:49 pm »

Does anyone else here go shooting? Let's talk about guns! I've been getting into shooting as a hobby relatively recently and still don't know much.

I've got a Ruger MkIII 22/45- a .22 competion pistol. Love it, really accurate.

I've also got a 1938 Russian Mosin Nagant. Still trying to sight it in, the sights seem pretty out of whack (below the target by a lot even at the closest setting). As an added bonus it came covered in cosmoline, which is. Even after we steam cleaned the thing, the wood close to the end of the barrel still "sweats" cosmoline. Got it for real cheap ($120), though, and the 7.62s are fun to fire.

Just today I bought a Norinko JW15, a .22 bolt action rifle. I didn't actually know much about it when I bought it from a rack of assorted .22LR rifles, but upon research it seems to be a pretty popular gun. A lot of people complained of stiff or ill-fitting moving parts on new Norinko guns, but this one appears to have already been broken in.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Gun Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:10:25 pm »

I've also got a 1938 Russian Mosin Nagant. Still trying to sight it in, the sights seem pretty out of whack (below the target by a lot even at the closest setting). As an added bonus it came covered in cosmoline, which is. Even after we steam cleaned the thing, the wood close to the end of the barrel still "sweats" cosmoline. Got it for real cheap ($120), though, and the 7.62s are fun to fire.

How long ago did you get it?  Because I noticed an absurd number of Soviet Mosin Nagants entered the market a couple years ago, for about $120 a piece.  Which is exactly how I got mine, 1944 manufacture; it came with a shoulder strap, ammo pouch, and bayonet.  The barrel was coated in cosmoline for storage, but it washed off entirely with carb cleaner (is there anything carb cleaner can't do?) and the wood was in great shape.  Don't know about the sights - mine shoots dead straight at the lowest settings, but I don't really have a range large enough to test it any farther.  I wanted to get a scope for it, but they're damn expensive.  Not that I usually shoot at anything far enough away to need a scope.

That was gun #3.  Gun #1 was the .22 Carbine my dad bought me as a teenager; no idea what brand or model.  Nothing spectacular of course, but tons of fun for a kid.  Great gun since .22 LR is so cheap, which is good, because we blow through them like Skittles; having to manually reload each shot cuts down a bit on that, which is kinda problematic.  It came with a scope, but in the years I've had it, it's never once pointed straighter than the iron sights, but at least it's consistently wrong, so I can account for it after a few test rounds.

#2 is, I believe, a Mossberg pump-action 12-gauge.  If it's a Mossberg, it's a 590 with a five-shell stock.  I honestly don't know what it is, but I haven't looked at the papers in ages.  Barrels of fun as all shotguns are; too much even, since we screwed around and split the barrel (probably could have killed someone with the shrapnel from that, but my luck held out).  With the application of a hacksaw, the barrel is slightly shorter and unchoked, but still of legal length.  I only ever shoot skeet rounds - anything larger is just excessively loud.

Dad had a 9mm pistol for a while, but even outdoors, it was ear-splitting loud, and he sold it at some point.  #4 is now a .22 single-action sport revolver I bought at WalMart.  Let no one tell you a .22 pistol isn't a real gun.  The barrel is ridiculously long for it's size, but I don't need to be encouraged to play around with it any more than I already do.  My main complaint with the design is the grip curves too far away from the trigger, so repeatedly cocking the trigger makes my hand ride up, so I have to readjust my hold or aim with each shot.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 08:15:42 pm »

Given that learning to fire a gun is right under learning to fly an airplane in the list of things I'd like to do in my life, I'm posting to watch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:18:09 pm »

I noticed an absurd number of Soviet Mosin Nagants entered the market a couple years ago, for about $120 a piece.

I just got it a couple months ago, and that's exactly what I paid for it, I think (to be correct, my brother paid for it and it's his, but we just pool our arsenal).

Given that learning to fire a gun is right under learning to fly an airplane in the list of things I'd like to do in my life, I'm posting to watch.
It's cheaper and faster than learning to fly a plane, so you ought to do it first. Get a .22 rifle for $100-200 USD.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 08:21:25 pm »

That'll have to be in more than a few years, especially because all of those things are sunk waaaay down under stuff like "finish that 8-foot white scarf you want" and "learn how to drive a car."

But hey, whatever =)  I'll figure it out eventually.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:35:49 pm »

Mosin Nagants are fun.  Picked up my 91/59 for $150 with a 440 round tin of Russian surplus.  I shot it in the local range's surplus rifle match and did a decent job with it.  The guy next to me was unhappy with the noise and pressure wave.  He said he had to wait until I had shot my round before letting his off because it'd mess up his aim.

:edit: it's worth noting that my shoulder hurt for a week afterwords
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:37:43 pm by Sir Finkus »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:37:45 pm »

So I go out shooting and suddenly GUN THREAD!
Neat.

Anyway, yeah, I went off with a friend to his homemade range and had bunches of fun.
Started off with an old Remington .22 and
we blow through them like Skittles; having to manually reload each shot cuts down a bit on that
Apparently, for having never fired a real gun, I am a damn good shot.
Yay Nerf and airsoft.
Then I fired off his S&W M&P.
Nice gun but eh, I don't really like shooting pistols that much.
Took a break, got some water, and grabbed his brother's SKS and AK-47.
The SKS was fucking amazing.
I want one.
His also has all of the original parts and is from 1955 if I remember correctly.
The AK was okay, nothing special, but still a decent gun, and very nice looking.
I fired off 30 rounds at a paper target, got a few bullseyes, but they were mostly spread all around.
I later learned that its sights are off and it needed to be adjusted.
The SKS I shot at water bottles, mostly.
I hit a chunk of brick that was balanced on a small stake and vapourised it into a fine red mist, and that was awesome.
Then his brother came up and brought his Ruger Mini-14 and some Beretta pistol.
The Ruger was a beautiful gun, very accurate, amazing sights.
I put up a row of bricks and shot them with the SKS, vapourised most of them, and split a big one into smaller chunks, then I put those chunks up with what was left of the first set and shot them with the Ruger.
Vapourised all of them.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a paper target of me shooting either of those rifles.
I'm probably going back there Wednesday, too, so yays.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 08:38:03 pm »

"learn how to drive a car."
Cough gag, you can't drive either?
mainly a post to watch though
Nom nom nom

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:42:33 pm »

"learn how to drive a car."
Neither can I. Too expensive, why bother.

As for guns, I've never used a real one, but I bet I can handle a handgun. Mostly because I have no arm strength to hold anything bigger too well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 08:43:26 pm »

Around when I could start to learn, I didn't allow myself to because I deemed myself a danger to myself and others.  Right about now is the first time I've felt psychologically healthy enough to even consider it.

So, yup.  I'll probably learn pretty soon, because I want to, but previously it would have been a terrible idea.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 08:43:38 pm »

My dad bought me the same Ruger Mk III that sensei has. The Target model, with the long stainless steel barrel. It's great shooting.

My dad has a bunch of guns. He has a SKS that he got back in the early 90s for 90 dollars, a Taurus 9mm that is quite fun, and a recently purchased Ruger .380 LCP.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 08:48:55 pm »

Used to go to the range for practice shooting, but haven't had time the last few years. Since I forgot about it for a long time, my license was revoked. Now I'd need to go through paperwork to renew it :/.

Back when I was on this, I usually went with my father to practice handgun marksmanship. I liked clay pigeon shooting far better, but there weren't any ranges near my home. :/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:50:37 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 08:49:17 pm »

As for guns, I've never used a real one, but I bet I can handle a handgun. Mostly because I have no arm strength to hold anything bigger too well.
Handguns are actually a lot more difficult to shot than rifles.  New shooters tend to flinch, and little things like grip and breath control are much more important.  They're also bit harder to handle safely if you're not used to shooting.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 08:49:32 pm »

I've not learned how to handle a gun yet, but the Norinco NDM-86 is dead sexy, as is the Dragunov SVD, but to a lesser extent. Dat stock.

EDIT: Got mah makers mixed up.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:51:47 pm by breadbocks »
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »

There's a lot of guns in my house. Though Ill try and remember the ones that are actually mine.

The first one I can remember since It's the gun I carried with me the most. It's some off brand 1911 like .45 that I rebuilt from some junky ones I bought cheap. I haven't really thoroughly tested it yet so I'm not too sure how it preforms in the long term. What I tried though was good.

Next one I could remember since it was the most important one I had was some model of bold action Remington rifle. I'm really bad at getting the make down with these so I can't say much about it, other than it was chambered for 30.06 and it had a very nice scope on it. I took care of it and cleaned it weekly until I gave it back to the friend that gave me it since I can't really go hunting anymore.

After that I remember my shotgun, which was... Well I got it rather questionably so I'd rather not talk about that. But it appears to be a reproduction or original 1897 trench gun. It even has a bayonet lug though I don't have a matching bayonet. I'm not entirely sure about how authentic it is or if it's what it appears to be, but it's a good gun and built like a stack of bricks.

Last weapon worth mentioning is something I saved up for since it was at a gun show nearby for a few years in a row. It's a FN-FAL or a lookalike, stuck with semi auto as it's a civilian gun of course. The guy threw in a beta mag for a little extra since he wanted to get rid of it so I have a rifle I can load 100 bullets into now. Never got to use it for hunting though, so it mostly sits in the storeroom in a locked case with my shotgun beside it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5