Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Bay 12 Gun Thread  (Read 13442 times)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Gun Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 08:53:15 pm »

I've not learned how to handle a gun yet, but the NDM-86 Dragunov is dead sexy, as is the SVD, but to a lesser extent. Dat stock.
In the US at least, "real" Dragunovs are expensive as hell.  If you like the look though, the PSL is a much cheaper alternative.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 09:00:59 pm »

Oddly, my grandpa just had me transcribe a list of his shooting achievements for a letter petitioning the Gunlord (Charlton Heston?) for a new gun.

Holy shit.

390,000 registered targets hit since 1975, 200+ state trophies, 50+ Grand American trophies, in the trapshooting hall of fame, and a shitload of other stuff.

What a badass.  That's in my genes.
Shoes...

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »

I'd never get my hands on an NDM. You can't import them anymore, so those that are in the country go for insane prices, IIRC. I doubt an SVD wouldn't be much cheaper, at somewhere between 6 and 10K. A PSL would definitely be the way to go if I decided to get one, at $500.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 09:10:08 pm »

I'd like to learn how to shoot, simply for sport. My parents, surprisingly, are totally behind this, seeing as they wouldn't let me even have toy guns till I was like 6.

Also Airsoft, because shooting rabbits and targets is, I'm sure, a blast, but shooting real people is better if you can both laugh about it afterwards.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 09:12:58 pm »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 09:30:08 pm »

Here we go.
Shoes...

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 09:54:27 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4vGtDPSxiY

Relevant.
Hardly.  The video is in the same category as documentaries on Nostradamus  and "bible codes".  Especially hilarious was the implication that the NRA was somehow in any way related to the KKK.  Even 15 minutes of research renders the notion absurd.

The NRA was founded by a bunch of former Union soldiers because it was observed that Union soldiers were really inefficient at killing Confederates.  The KKK was formed by a bunch of bitter Confederate vets upset about black rights and carpetbaggers.  The first President of the NRA (Union General Ambrose Burnside) was actually Commander and Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, a Union veterans' organization that, among other things fought for the voting rights of black veterans.  Hardly someone the KKK would choose as a president.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 10:01:38 pm »

Here we go.
Not on my watch! Let's just let Sir Finkus' post close the troll argument.

Anyway, I (or my dad) was thinking of getting an SKS. Those of you who have one, where did you get it/how much did you pay? Any caveats?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:59 pm »

Here we go.
Not on my watch! Let's just let Sir Finkus' post close the troll argument.

Anyway, I (or my dad) was thinking of getting an SKS. Those of you who have one, where did you get it/how much did you pay? Any caveats?
Yeah, I figured a debate would pop up sooner or later, I couldn't resist that one though.

SKSes are great.  I paid $200 for my Chinese one, but I hear the price has been going up quite a bit recently.  The Russian ones are usually the highest quality, followed by the Chinese, then the Yugoslavian ones.  The Yugo ones do not have chrome lined barrels, which makes cleanup a bit more difficult, and you also might want to check a bit more carefully for bore corrosion.  The rifle itself is dead simple and takes about 5 minutes to do a quick clean on.  The one thing you'll want to do is run it wet or you'll get stovepipes.  When looking for one, take out the bolt and make sure the firing pin moves freely or returns to the retracted position (some of the older Russian ones had springs).  A firing pin that doesn't move freely in the bolt can cause slam fires.  Also, if you ever take the firing pin out, be sure to put it back in the correct way.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 10:20:03 pm »

The SKS was, like a said, an amazing gun to shoot.
It felt really nice, looks really nice, and had very little recoil.
I forget how much he said he paid for it, but I think it was around 300 dollars, and it's a Russian one from the fifties.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 11:09:30 pm »

Y'know what's really fun? Shooting a brick of 22s at a target, then trying to shoot a shotgun.

Yeah, rental guns are fun. Not legally allowed to own any, alas...

Oh, and hi FBI Watchlist No. 8,563. Just position yourself next to the others to observe my unpleasantly boring yet constantly interrupted life in the vain hopes that I actually do something.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 12:17:02 am »

I've only shot a gun once (Outside of childhood bb guns) a .22 Revolver to kill some sort of animal that was threatening the chickens.

Guns aren't really my thing, though I'd love to get a musket one day.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 03:19:36 am »

My girlfriend took me out shooting not long ago in an old quarry.  Boy do shotguns kick, but they are a lot of fun and my shoulder was only slightly sore for about a day.  Apparently I'm a damn good shot with a Mosin-Nagant and a 6x scope or thereabouts.  Was utter crap with the AR-15 with just a reflex sight, no scope; couldn't hit a thing.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of pistol to get.  :/  I mean, there's the obvious ".22 caliber is super cheap" advantage, so for target practice that's pretty nice, but I'm sure you guys could argue all day about stopping power.  Pretty much everything I've used lately pistolwise has been a Glock, including .22, .40 and .45...  The .40 felt the most comfortable actually, it felt nice and solid, but the .45 left my hands stinging after a couple clips.  .40 was not as bad.  I hear the painful recoil isn't nearly as bad with a heavier gun (ie non-plastic, ie non-Glock), so there's that, but still.

What's the price difference like between .22 and .40 ammo?  Or anything else around that range?  Would be nice to shoot non-lead ammo so that's a consideration if it matters.  Any recommendations on a gun that's mostly for cheap target shooting, but also worthwhile for...I dunno, hiking in bear/wildcat country?  That's a lot more likely for me than home defense (home defense = shotgun).  Not looking for a revolver.  Something with an actual safety switch is ideal, I'm always a little bothered by that whole "safety is part of the trigger" thing.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 03:24:41 am »

Gun thread? Pictures are related.

There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 03:31:58 am »

Seeing as how that'd need to rest on something for the guy to fire it, and the recoil'd be enormous, that just looks like a very inefficient cannon designed to kill soft targets. Color me unimpressed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5