Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485265 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Probably that decoupler you have right under the capsule.

Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

No, I mean the rocket part broke into two or three pieces at some point, after that, which I noticed when tabbing through debris.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I mean the rocket part broke into two or three pieces at some point, after that, which I noticed when tabbing through debris.

Deadly Reentry

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Does anyone have any tips for building planes with FAR?
I can't seem to build a proper plane that actually uses lift instead of pure TWR.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Does anyone have any tips for building planes with FAR?
I can't seem to build a proper plane that actually uses lift instead of pure TWR.

I usually just go with "does it look like a plane?" "Yes." "TEST IT!" "It exploded." "Make it look more like a plane."
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Something is not quite right here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That seems very useful. Though unbalanced if you were to take smaller more efficient engines and just make them bigger to get the power and the efficiency.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I'm having trouble with FAR airplanes flipping over when I try to take off. Does anyone have more specific advice than "make sure it looks like a real airplane"?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something is not quite right here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That seems very useful. Though unbalanced if you were to take smaller more efficient engines and just make them bigger to get the power and the efficiency.

The resized engines currently aren't balanced at all. The equation needs tweaking.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So... Mutltiple mods installed. And now I get a 000_toolbar error. Halp?
I have:
CustomBiomes
DMagic Orbital Science
EditorExtensions
Engineer
EnhancedNavBall
KAS
Procedural Fairings
Kerbal Alarm Clock 2.7.3.0
Kethane
Mission Controller
NearFuture
Final Frontier
SelectRoot
SurfaceLights
Mk2 Cockpit.

Instal latest toolbar mod.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

I'm having trouble with FAR airplanes flipping over when I try to take off. Does anyone have more specific advice than "make sure it looks like a real airplane"?
There's some guide videos on using the little numerical simulation thing FAR gives you, and that should help with general instability, especially for higher speed craft.

However, if it's simply an issue of flipping immediately, it's likely because you've got stuff in the wrong place. In general, you want your thrust and center of mass kept lined up, or things will flip. The other advice is to have wings up high on the craft, above the center of mass. A high center of lift will make the craft more stable/less maneuverable in general.

For example, I built this a long while back using FAR: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88632.msg4738838;topicseen#msg4738838
It was super stable due to the high center of lift; and while that was an older version of FAR, the general principle of the thing still stands.

Other advice: set up your control surfaces to only activate for pitch, yaw, or roll. If you have them doing all of them, it is much trickier to fly properly, both for you and your ASAS. Essentially because it makes the steering directions independent, so you don't really need to worry about your need to roll affecting your need to yaw.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:32:53 pm by alway »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the physics bug that ended up killing my career game has made its way to my sandbox game as well. I had hoped to do a followup to that space battle I posted, where I would destroy my broken prototype battleship. Unfortunately, every time the game loads a previous craft there is a chance that physics will shit itself and cause the craft to spontaneously disassemble, become uncontrollable, or otherwise render the game unplayable.

I updated FAR prior to this bug showing itself, but reverting to the previous version had no effect.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I made a ship that has three individually detachable science juniors, each with their own autopilot, small fuel tank, and thruster, so I can fly them all back home once they're full of science.

Is there any point at all to this?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Dunno, but it might be nice for science seeding kerbin.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are at least two other mission packs. You'll have to dig. They aren't balanced. I haven't touched them since .23 and they date to .21 or .22.
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 848