Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485134 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The BioMass mod does it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I have a working greenhouse for Tac but I can't remember where I found it.
I haven't used it yet because the TAC recyclers and that greenhouse are way too effective, and I haven't produced a good testing setup yet.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

I have  finally mastered the  art of making my spaceplanes not s***y. Huzzah.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Today, after over two years in service, the K.S.S. "Suicidal Insanity" was officially decommissioned. It was the first space station launched by the K.S.P, and represented a huge increase in public opinion of the organization, which had theretofore been generally regarded as a bunch of nutters with access to high-grade combustables. According to a spokeskerbal for the K.S.P., new mods advances in technology had made the "Suicidal Insanity" obselete, and too costly to maintain.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

The BioMass mod does it.
Would that be the one that alway said was "broken" and "crap"?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The BioMass mod does it.
Would that be the one that alway said was "broken" and "crap"?

BioMass has two versions, a simple version and a science version. The science version is geared more for fuel production but also does the things TAC needs. Last I check the science version had some major problems still in the various parts. Like any mod it's being worked on.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

A lot of the mods that have TAC compat barely mention it. I found a good one, the only thing that bugs me is that the author uses 'bio' as a separate word, as in 'bio mass', instead of 'bio-mass' or 'biomass'. You can find it here.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

A lot of the mods that have TAC compat barely mention it. I found a good one, the only thing that bugs me is that the author uses 'bio' as a separate word, as in 'bio mass', instead of 'bio-mass' or 'biomass'. You can find it here.

This is probably the only time I've seen a mod author EXPLAIN HOW TO USE HIS CRAP IN THE DESCRIPTION OF THE MOD. Holy shit, this guy is awesome :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There have been a couple copycat mods that use the greenhouse popping up quite recently.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any good mods that make food instead of fuel?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

this guy has some cfg changes that makes average mod good by letting them play well together

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1uxw4y/duna_base_alpha_interstellar_kw_procedural/

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

It makes food, too.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Guys, I need help.
Near Future Propulsion is too confusing.
I apparently need huge amounts of fuel with the hydrogen engines to get any amount of respectable delta-v, and the capacitators are confusing and how do the radiators and nuclear generators work and halp

EDIT
It appears that it is also derping Flight Engineer up. Adding four regular nuclear engines with a small amount of fuel makes it suddenly believe it has 17,000 m/s of delta-v (from 1,700).
Okay, in order.

Hydrogen is seriously large at the moment. It's going to get an overhaul soon. For now you really need massive, massive tanks of it in order to really go anywhere. The upside is that it's really lightweight, so the size is the only problem - you can increase your delta-v as long as you have somewhere to put more tanks, with little impact on TWR.

Capacitors store electric charge. You can see some detailed stats on exactly how much they store, release, and use up for charging, in their detailed stats screen. Pretty much they have eight times the energy density of regular batteries, so they store eight times the amount of ElectricCharge for a given mass.
To operate capacitors, you need to either use the right-click menu on them, or set up action groups. Capacitors can do two things: store charge, and release charge. You will want an action group that tells all your capacitors to start recharging, and any number of action groups to discharge your capacitors as appropriate. They start out fully charged, and not charging. When fully charged, the capacitor stops charging. When set to discharge (this can be done at any time) the capacitor begins converting its StoredCharge into ElectricCharge at a fixed rate, which goes into your regular batteries. The rate is such that a fully charged capacitor always fully discharges in exactly 10 seconds, and any charge that doesn't fit into your battery stores is lost.

The best use for capacitors is powering an energy-hungry thruster on a lightweight solar-powered ship, allowing for quick acceleration bursts.

Nuclear generators need two things to function. Fuel, and radiators. Each reactor starts out fully fueled, and at maximum power output every reactor lasts a few years at least, so it's not normally a problem to refuel. Radiators need to be placed on the reactor itself, and need to be extended to maximize their efficiency. There are two types of radiators. Standard radiators look like solar panels - big and blocky. These can be placed on any reactor as needed. Conforming radiators are more elaborately shaped, usually curved. These are reactor-specific, and it's usually obvious what size of reactor a given conforming radiator fits to. The conforming radiators should be placed with symmetry, so that they exactly cover the entire surface of the reactor - this ensures that the heat dissipation capacity exactly matches the requirements of the reactor.

In order to use the reactor, it needs to be powered up. This is a two-stage process for normal operation. First, right-click the reactor and use the option to unfold all attached radiators. Second, activate the reactor from the same menu. The reactor will gradually spool up to its nominal power output. More complex manipulations, including usage with insufficient radiators (or closed radiators) can be handled with the advanced reactor control panel available in the same menu.

The Kerbal Engineer has a little trouble with some resources at the moment. I believe there is an experimental branch of it with different staging and fuel flow simulation that fixes these issues.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dropped the extra-complex cannon and went with a more basic model. I make up for this with a nice, complex projectile--a Lander Can with a conical fuel tank and some rockets, plus landing legs, a heat shield, and such--docked above the thing. It falls apart on the launchpad but stays together better on the runway; I still fiddle with it. In a strutting manner. After fiddling repeatedly with the docking ports, staging, and whatnot, I was finally ready to test it! It fell apart. Not sure why. I retest and note that the problem seems to be structural failure between the cannon and the probe body behind it. It didn't launch the monster very far, but it did speed backwards at great speed.

Two changes I made: I ditched the complex return-lander an replaced it with a lander-can with nothing more than two radial engines, a couple little fuel tanks, and radial monoprop tanks and some RCS thrusters. Whoo! It's just 14 parts, and the only non-stock ones are the four neater-looking RCS thrusters. I also added two clamps.
The pod fell right through the exhaust! I adjust the design of the cannon, but as I do so I'm crippled by issues with the Subassembly thing. I click on it, and it spawns one untouchable docking port plus thirteen other unconnected parts arranged in roughly the same pattern as the pod I created. This can't be used. Same thing happens when I close the VAB and re-open it to add in the pod...or try to add that bit anywhere else. Frickkin' bugs. I delete the subassembly and begin work on another project.

EDIT: The other project, a little propeller plane made with Firespitter parts, took off. The parts are interesting; a little plane with one propeller and two wings passedo Mach 0.5 well before the end of the runway but couldn't lift off until afterwards. Or, for that matter, afterwards. Takeoff will most likely continue to be an issue if I use Firespitter wings...
P.S. Are propellers supposed to require air intakes? And also spin when throttle is 0?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:53:00 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 848