Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17312 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2011, 08:59:32 am »

It's probably easier to live single than it is to live married.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 23, 2011, 09:05:24 am »

This isn't about ease.  It's about equality.

On the topic of correlating race relations to marriage... It's probably easier to live white as well, but does that mean whites should be treated differently?

It's a slippery slope to grant any special provisions to any particular group of people (married, gay, straight, black, white, asian, pacific islander...) so why do we keep doing it?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 23, 2011, 09:09:24 am »

This isn't about ease.  It's about equality.
Single people just don't need the legal benefits of marriage, because that extra strain isn't on them.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 23, 2011, 09:12:14 am »

And who says married people need those benefits?

Also, who's to judge if someone's life is more "strained" than someone else?  I thought we were all created equal?  Shouldn't we all live by the same laws?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 23, 2011, 09:13:46 am »

We all do live by the same laws, but there are certain problems that arise in certain states that make life difficult. Marriage and childbearing/childraising are two such states.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2011, 09:17:10 am »

Buying a yacht can make life difficult if I can't afford it.  Should I get special help when I go buy a yacht?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2011, 09:19:35 am »

Yachts are luxury boats that have nothing to do with mantaining an acceptable quality of life. If you buy a yacht and can't afford it the bank will take everything you own once you can't pay, though. And then they'll take the yacht, too. By that point you probably qualify for wellfare, so I guess that works out in a way.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 23, 2011, 09:23:22 am »

Being married and/or having kids has nothing to do with maintaining an acceptable quality of life as well.  It's a personal choice, like buying a yacht, house, car, toy, or a stick of gum.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 23, 2011, 09:26:01 am »

Having children is a great drain on people, and sort of necessary to the continuation of life. This having of children is also a great resource drain, and must be compensated for to prevent Quality of Life loss.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 23, 2011, 09:29:06 am »

Having children is a great drain on people, and sort of necessary to the continuation of life. This having of children is also a great resource drain, and must be compensated for to prevent Quality of Life loss.
Having a yacht is also a great drain on people.  You have to pay docking fees, maintain the hull the sails (if any), weather storms... It can also drain your resources.  Owning a yacht can definitely amount to quality of life loss.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 23, 2011, 09:32:16 am »

We don't have to have yachts to avoid going extinct. Very few people have yachts compared to the number of people who have children. Not helping them risks harming the child's enviornment, somthing that can last a lifetime and have far reaching consequences for society as a whole. Yachts are simply not a good comparison.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #311 on: June 23, 2011, 09:37:59 am »

The difference here is that yachts are not essential to the continuation of the species (as far as I can tell). And it is somewhat easier to dispose of an unwanted yacht.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 23, 2011, 10:01:26 am »

Ok, fine.  Continuation of species.  Fair enough.  There should be laws helping raise children.  I'll agree.

What does this have to do with marriage?  Or more exactly, gay marriage?  You could argue that it's best for the child to grow up with a mother and father and thus encourage the pairing, but how does that mean that gay marriage should be treated the same as mother/father marriages?  There's adoption, but any laws that help the children should be separate from the person(s) who raise that child and marriage status should not matter.  Single people can also adopt so any laws used to help the propagation of species would not matter in a same sex vs. opposite sex relationship.

Or more succinctly, how is getting married any different than buying a yacht?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:03:36 am by Andir »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 23, 2011, 10:03:23 am »

I don't think this actually has anything to do with gay marriage, we just went off on a tangent.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 23, 2011, 10:05:03 am »

I don't think this actually has anything to do with gay marriage, we just went off on a tangent.
So, why then do married couples get extra benefit from the law?  Shouldn't we be fighting to remove said benefit so that gay/straight/single relationships won't matter from a federal/legal standpoint?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28