Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: The presidential season is upon us  (Read 17323 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: The presidential season is upon us
« Reply #270 on: June 22, 2011, 05:15:55 pm »

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread to post in.

Well, I'm already here. I'll say what I've always felt: America desperately needs a new third party. We used to have the Whigs, and other parties. Now the Republicans and the Democrats have essentially strong-armed the independents out of the debates. The supreme court has even supported these policies.

Someone still has to explain to me how we're considered leader of the Free World.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:21:10 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2011, 05:20:26 pm »

May not be a question of just his presidential run. He may have flip-flopped his way out of politics altogether.

Or maybe he'll go Charlie Sheen on us and run as a crazy independent in a Hawaiian shirt. I dunno though, a guy with Newt's money doesn't just disappear overnight.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2011, 05:27:34 pm »

May not be a question of just his presidential run. He may have flip-flopped his way out of politics altogether.

Gingrich hasn't really been "in" politics since he resigned from the House.  He's basically been pretending to run for President for twelve years, so people will keep buying his books, paying him speaking fees, and donating money to a campaign that until a few weeks ago, had been totally ephemeral.  I think it says a lot that before May, his political campaign website, which had been around for years, was composed almost entirely of edited stock photos.  A lot of people didn't even think he'd declare, since they were banking on him continuing to just be a professional campaigner for no office.

Or maybe he'll go Charlie Sheen on us and run as a crazy independent in a Hawaiian shirt. I dunno though, a guy with Newt's money doesn't just disappear overnight.

That however, would be pretty awesome.  If Newt Gingrich walked out onto a stage wearing the quarter-million of jewelry he apparently owns, I'd vote him myself.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2011, 05:33:29 pm »

A lot of people didn't even think he'd declare, since they were banking on him continuing to just be a professional campaigner for no office.

My liberal view of the Republican party is that influence over the direction of policy follows the money that supports the party. I don't know much more about Gingrich's influence beyond when everyone was listening to him on the Contract with America and all the money that attention got him.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2011, 05:46:55 pm »

5. Has supported same-sex civil unions
Too bad that civil unions are really just an appeasement tactic to make gay people believe they have equal rights when they are not, in fact, being granted equal rights at all. Supporting civil unions instead of marriage also gets used as a "See, I'm not really a bigot!" card a lot. Honestly, that almost makes me like him less overall, not more.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2011, 06:19:43 pm »

Too bad that civil unions are really just an appeasement tactic to make gay people believe they have equal rights when they are not, in fact, being granted equal rights at all. Supporting civil unions instead of marriage also gets used as a "See, I'm not really a bigot!" card a lot. Honestly, that almost makes me like him less overall, not more.
Honestly, I don't understand why it matters.  As long as you can gain the benefits of partnership according to the government (tax deduction, shared income/responsibility) then why does it matter what you call it?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2011, 06:32:56 pm »

Well, yes.  It's not really about the legal status, which is ridiculously important in its own right of course.  It's about respect.  It's about saying that two different relationships are of equal merit and consideration.  How would you like it if the government said something about your family wasn't entitled to call itself the same thing as everyone else?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 22, 2011, 06:33:21 pm »

Because it's an opportunity for legislators to pick and choose what rights they want to give civil-union couples, versus giving them the rights we already extended to married couples. Inheritance, execution of wills, rights to medical disclosure, power of attorney, all these things are tied up in legal unions. Saying you're ok with civil unions is saying you're ok with them starting from scratch on the laws and possibly trying to withhold some rights civil unions should enjoy.

Put another way, for civil unions to mean jack outside of the state they were issued, all states have to make allowances for civil unions. Different states may opt for totally different rights therein across their borders. Civil Unions in Nebraska? Full rights. Civil Unions in Kansas? Half the rights. That's not a situation that holds and is equitable. Allowing gays to marry just like everyone else makes it much, much harder for legislators to limit their rights without outright calling for limiting the institute of marriage itself, specifically as it relates to gays.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:38:58 pm by nenjin »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 22, 2011, 06:38:15 pm »

Because it's an opportunity for legislators to pick and choose what rights they want to give civil-union couples, versus giving them the rights we already extend to married couples. Inheritance, execution of wills, rights to medical disclosure, power of attorney, all these things are tied up in legal unions. Saying you're ok with civil unions is saying you're ok with them starting from scratch on the laws and possibly trying to withhold some rights civil unions should enjoy.
Forgive my mis-understanding this, but I thought a civil union was that which you went to a judge and basically got married.  Not religiously bound, but recognized by the State as a partnership.  Doing a quick google, I find that they apparently have different rights federally which pretty much sucks.  Maybe we should just remove all benefits of union so there's no debate. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 22, 2011, 06:41:10 pm »

Honestly, I don't understand why it matters.  As long as you can gain the benefits of partnership according to the government (tax deduction, shared income/responsibility) then why does it matter what you call it?
This is why it matters.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 22, 2011, 06:43:07 pm »

Ninja'd by MetalSimeHunt. If you're still confused why separate legal entities are a problem, we can go into more detail.

Look at it like this though. Just because the State says it recognizes your union, doesn't guarantee you any of the same rights as married couples.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 22, 2011, 06:45:27 pm »

Doing a quick google, I find that they apparently have different rights federally which pretty much sucks.  Maybe we should just remove all benefits of union so there's no debate. ;)

Forgive my quoting myself, but maybe you both missed this?

Also, race disputes have what to do with marriage?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2011, 06:47:46 pm »

I didn't miss it, I just wanted to make my response. It doesn't have to do with race disputes, it has to do with not repeating history. (Again.)
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2011, 06:48:28 pm »

Separated facilities for black people and white people were meant to be equal.  In practise, they never were.

Separated marriages/ civil partnerships for straight people and gay people are meant to be equal...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2011, 06:49:01 pm »

Doing a quick google, I find that they apparently have different rights federally which pretty much sucks.  Maybe we should just remove all benefits of union so there's no debate. ;)

Ah. I get your meaning now. But still, you don't seem to be American because Civil Rights here is not just about race anymore.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:51:24 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28