Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Canucks lose cup, Vancouver reduced to smouldering rubble.  (Read 6803 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Canucks lose cup, Vancouver reduced to smouldering rubble.
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 07:08:50 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, the best moment of the riot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmO0oGOf6Ps

VPD: Doing it right.

Best rioter moment: spraypainting over a Boston Pizza sign, writing Vancouver Pizza above.

The flashbang-groin video is as hilarious as it is horrible. The Boston Vancouver Pizza thing is actually something Boston Pizza did to it's own ads in Rogers Arena. Which is actually a pretty smart marketing move, I noticed it during a game and was like "ah, well played BP, well played." They possibly did it to other ads around the city themselves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 09:02:47 pm »

I shall never understand sports fans. Anarchists or no, there are still riots over sporting events. I cannot even imagine caring enough to watch someone else play a game, but it is an even greater leap for me to imagine caring enough to cause mayhem when someone else loses a game.

EDIT: Purely my opinion, of course. My diversions may well baffle others.

I think the simplest explanation is that kicking the ever-loving shit out of complete strangers and breaking things is tremendous fun, but we're all too civilised to do it without a reason, even one we have to invent out of whole cloth. This sort of thing would probably happen all the time if we didn't have violent video games as an outlet.

NB: The above post may contain sarcasm, bitter irony and bleak despair at the human condition. Reader discretion is advised.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 09:12:09 pm »

See, you take away people's firearms and they start smashing open windows to beat people to death with giant plastic legs.  This is your so-called higher civilization!
I hearby vote this for Best Pro-Gun Rights Argument Ever.
I vote it for best Anti-Gun Rights Argument Ever.  if we must resort to violence, as we eventually always must, let it be with mannequin limbs instead of firearms.  If nothing else, it's a lot more fun to watch.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 09:17:24 pm »

If Canadians had free access to guns like the in US, I guarantee you there would be fatalities from this event. But lets not get into that whole separate kettle of fish here.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 09:18:33 pm »

Oh yes, lets not get into it by raising an issue to a joke then say lets not get into it.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 09:21:17 pm »

See, you take away people's firearms and they start smashing open windows to beat people to death with giant plastic legs.  This is your so-called higher civilization!
I hearby vote this for Best Pro-Gun Rights Argument Ever.
I vote it for best Anti-Gun Rights Argument Ever.  if we must resort to violence, as we eventually always must, let it be with mannequin limbs instead of firearms.  If nothing else, it's a lot more fun to watch.
I also vote it for Most Versatile Blank-Gun Rights Argument Ever.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 11:11:33 pm »

Oh yes, lets not get into it by raising an issue to a joke then say lets not get into it.

Oh my bad sorry for making a serious point in the forum I thought was General Discussion: Discussions, commentary, reviews, news, friendly debates

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 11:46:25 pm »

On a more positive note it took a few hours for one scared-out-of-his-wits fan gathering trash during the riot to escalate into literally tens of thousands of impromptu volunteers cleaning our city up.
On a more negative notes smarmy newscasters pretending to care about the casualties is one of the most infuriating things I've ever seen.  Also, The View: "you know they did this last time they lost" "hurr well they'd better start winning then hurr lololol"

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 11:50:16 pm »

On a more positive note it took a few hours for one scared-out-of-his-wits fan gathering trash during the riot to escalate into literally tens of thousands of impromptu volunteers cleaning our city up.
On a more negative notes smarmy newscasters pretending to care about the casualties is one of the most infuriating things I've ever seen.  Also, The View: "you know they did this last time they lost" "hurr well they'd better start winning then hurr lololol"
Ugh, it's still horrible that The View even exists frankly. These women are vapid disgraces to the gender.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:35 pm »

Thirdly: What's wrong with employing a little bit of second-amendment solution to your neighbors ever so often?
Well, you'd have to cross the 49th parallel to do that, and generally international homicide is frowned upon.

"hurr well they'd better start winning then hurr lololol"
One mistake can counter almost two decades of winning, eh?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 11:56:56 pm »

Oh my bad sorry for making a serious point in the forum I thought was General Discussion: Discussions, commentary, reviews, news, friendly debates

It's not the point that's annoying it's preemptively ending an argument with an insult.
You're a dick, but let's not talk about that.

Yeah, as a Wild fan, I'm contractually obligated to want Vancouver to lose (and I did), and I did expect them to riot (because it's Vancouver), but now I feel kinda bad about it. I'm probably laughing too much at some of the pictures, and this thread in general. While I could very easily see a few out of town crazies coming in for the party, I really doubt that there presence was the primary cause.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 12:08:10 am »

So Vancouver has a habit of pulling this shit?
Honestly, were I in a position of authority, I would tell everybody that one more riot like that and I ban the games from taking place within city bounds. And when there is a riot because of this threat, ban the fucking games.
I don't care how much you like your sport, you don't get to risk human life in a riot because your team lost.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 12:13:07 am »

It's not the point that's annoying it's preemptively ending an argument with an insult.
You're a dick, but let's not talk about that.

Hey guys! Let's please not start random unrelated arguments, take sarcastic jabs at each other, or call each other dicks. Thanks!

"hurr well they'd better start winning then hurr lololol"
One mistake can counter almost two decades of winning, eh?

I'm confused. The Canucks have been winning for two decades and nobody told me?

So Vancouver has a habit of pulling this shit?
Honestly, were I in a position of authority, I would tell everybody that one more riot like that and I ban the games from taking place within city bounds.

Oh man. Losing causes a riot. Banning Hockey? Can you even imagine the devastation an announcement like that would cause?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 12:18:12 am »

Civil war.

I'm not even joking, we're talking immediate calls for the politicians to step down, biiiiiig protests, and a few crazies with death threats.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 12:24:43 am »

It's freaking hockey!
You Canadians have issues. Deep running issues. I blame all the maple syrup.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6