Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: "You Can't Discuss Religion, That's Naughty (But Only If You're Athiest)"  (Read 24590 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Female Circumcision like Male Circumcision covers several different procedures whose harm varies from barely noticeable to traumatizing. Trying to compare circumcision on a purely gender basis is extremely uninformative and confuses about what is actually done.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please explain the "barely noticeable" harm in any form of female circumcision.

I learned about this under the name of "female genital mutilation," so I'm curious.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One example is the pinprick the AARP proposed to satiate parents who'd normally send their children back home for a procedure that does more accurately fall under the normal image of female circumcision.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

What, we're trying to appease people who want to enforce FGM now? There's this thing called child services, it should be used.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

. . .

Yeah, okay.  I'll just say that the standard definitions are removing the foreskin or cutting off/using a hot iron on the clitoris, which don't take into account accidents that end up tossing the whole penis or the aforementioned pinprick.

The hot iron/needle method was used in the western world during the Victorian-ish era, by the way, to ensure that little girls were incapable of sexual pleasure of any sort and keep them "pure."  This isn't an "over thar in Africa" thing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

The hot iron/needle method was used in the western world during the Victorian-ish era, by the way, to ensure that little girls were incapable of sexual pleasure of any sort and keep them "pure."  This isn't an "over thar in Africa" thing.
Male circumcision was also sometimes used for roughly the same purpose (although not as "effectively").
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:27:07 pm by Leafsnail »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The hot iron/needle method was used in the western world during the Victorian-ish era, by the way, to ensure that little girls were incapable of sexual pleasure of any sort and keep them "pure."

You have any source on this? Never heard of it before...

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah the ideals of sexual purity, when has it ever not been an ugly blemish on humanity.

Fun Fact: Foreskin removal was advocated to prevent "masturbation madness" before the modern rationale came about

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile

The Victorians are grossly misunderstood to be complete prudes.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You have any source on this? Never heard of it before...

Quote from: Demetrius Zambaco
Asked his advice, Doctor J. Guerin confirmed that, after all other treatments had failed, he had succeeded in curing young girls affected by the vice of onanism by burning the clitoris with a hot iron.... I apply the hot points three times to each of the large labia and another on the clitoris.... After the first operation, from forty to fifty times a day, the number of voluptuous spasms was reduced to three or four.... We believe, then, in cases similar to those submitted to your consideration, one should not hesitate to resort to the hot iron, and at an early hour, in order to combat clitoral and vaginal onanism in little girls.

Found this source from an essay by Gayle Rubin, Thinking Sex: Notes for a Radical Theory of the Politics of Sexuality, which is quite celebrated and was written by her as a graduate student in anthropology.  Check your sources in meatspace, if you so prefer.  You can order his book from Amazon.  Page 31.

The Victorians are grossly misunderstood to be complete prudes.

Zambaco's book on removing childhood orgasm in little girls was published in 1881.  You're right, that'd be a little bit beforehand, right?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:48:53 pm by Vector »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are conflicting viewpoints active in the time period at the very least.

Can we go back to... well, you guys go back to discussing whatever else you were... no... no I'm probably stuck replying to this thread for days now. Dammit.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Certainly.  I didn't mean to say it was universal and monolithic.

Just that it happened.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then we are agreed.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fun Fact: Foreskin removal was advocated to prevent "masturbation madness" before the modern rationale came about

Thanks for the link. Amidst all the blegh I found surrounding the demonization of sexuality, I got a little laugh out of it too:
Quote from: Wikipedia: History of male circumcision
One of the leading advocates of circumcision was John Harvey Kellogg. He advocated the consumption of Kellogg's corn flakes to prevent masturbation

I admit they're good, but not THAT good.

C-C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker. With that non-sequitur, I return you to your regularly-scheduled thread.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I admit they're good, but not THAT good.

They're GRRRRRRRRREAT
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21