Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: "You Can't Discuss Religion, That's Naughty (But Only If You're Athiest)"  (Read 24597 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm telling anyone who thinks it is mutilation to actually find out what happens, rather than listening to sensationalist preachers and media.

Males also don't need their nipples. If a minority demanded that medical doctors surgically cut out their newborn son's nipples, and cauterize the vestigial ducts running through them, how would people react? If you were male, how would you feel if your parents had done that to you, before you were old enough to voice an opinion on the matter of what is done to your body?

Bread, your argument can be applied elsewhere, but I'm sure you wouldn't look at it the same way. A tongue is just a flap of muscle, while ears are just shapes made of cartilage and skin. If you split your tongue in two with a knife, or cut off bits of your ear, they'd still function. Does that not make that practice mutilation?

Precedent has a funny way of blinding us to the nature of some of the things that we do. I was circumcised not because of my parents religious beliefs, but because the surgery is so common among many circles that Doctors treat it as nearly necessary. I never had a chance to voice an opinion on the subject. Granted, I'll never know what I'm missing, and couldn't know what I'd decide now, but I don't suspect I'd ever have opted to have an optional surgery like that performed, to remove a functional part of my anatomy. It makes as much sense to me as cutting off the end of my nose.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:11:19 pm by Solifuge »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile

Individual rights simply must take precedence over what some religion's scripture states.
As MetalSlimeHunt put it, it's their problem if they want to cut skin off their boy's dicks. Perhaps it's time for another exodus.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

Bread, your argument can be applied elsewhere, but I'm sure you wouldn't look at it the same way. A tongue is just a flap of muscle, while ears are just shapes made of cartilage and skin. If you split your tongue in two with a knife, or cut off bits of your ear, they'd still function. Does that not make that practice mutilation?
*cough* piercings *cough*
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hell, can we womenfolk stop piercing our ears now?  I'm fucking tired of people giving me earrings I'll never use.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, you certainly don't get a piercing when you're 6 months old and can't decide otherwise.
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

*cough* piercings *cough*
People get piercings of their own free will, and if they want to be circumcised of their own free will I won't care. But they can't do that while they're an infant.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

It's really bizarre to me how worked up people get about this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, you certainly don't get a piercing when you're 6 months old and can't decide otherwise.

You're kidding, right?

I hope you heard that thing about infants getting their ears pierced.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's really bizarre to me how worked up people get about this.

I don't like people deciding what I should and shouldn't do with my body, and I feel it's only right to accord the same freedom to others.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

All right, perhaps children should not get their ears pierced either, and piercings are a bit different from having something cut off. Breadbocks is merely distracting from the point.

SalmonGod, this is the Internet. Everything is serious business.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're kidding, right?

I hope you heard that thing about infants getting their ears pierced.

Uhh, didn't think of that one.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I don't like people deciding what I should and shouldn't do with my body

But early childhood is inescapably composed of exactly this......
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I don't like people deciding what I should and shouldn't do with my body

But early childhood is inescapably composed of exactly this......
Of vaccinations, which cause no permanant harm and protect you from deadly diseases. Of medication, which has no permanant side effects and helps you get better from illness. Not of cosmetic procedures that involve permanantly altering the body.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Key argument:

Cosmetic.

There is quite a bit of argument that it is not cosmetic.  I would like the folks who argue that it is cosmetic to provide sources, which are both recent and well-sourced.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile

The other key argument is:

Permanent.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21