Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: "You Can't Discuss Religion, That's Naughty (But Only If You're Athiest)"  (Read 24599 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Honestly, I've never known cultural differences were so immense between the USA and Europe.
I was very suprised when I read that 75% of the male US citizens were circumcised.
Around here this only serves religious purposes or if a complication is discovered on a newborn and there's no way without removing the tissue.
This probably shows that it doesn't have an insanely large impact.  It's not like America's adults are chronically sexually frustrated or Europe's men are being wiped out by foreskin infections.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

See, I think that's ridiculous, because I'm deeply disinterested in the sexualization of infants/the whole "let's get on the beauty train" thing.

I'm interested in it, but only in the sense that it completely disgusts me beyond belief. We're a very pedophile-paranoid culture, but why is it that on the one hand we'll demonize and villify a guy for trying to get with a fifteen-year-old girl (not that this should be legal, mind), and on the other hand we apparently consider it completely socially acceptable to, say, host beauty pageants for four-year-olds, dressing them up like you'd dress an adult for a modeling photoshoot?

On the other other hand, I know that I was a filthy teenager, and that the last place I'd want an infection would be under the foreskin.  Er, if I had one.  But that, despite knowing that, I probably wouldn't have done a very good job of keeping myself clean.  As we know, teenagers in general don't have the same ability to calculate risk and carry foresight that adults do.

Couldn't the relevancy of this be determined (at least to some degree) by a statistical analysis of what health or hygiene issues are present in which places, compared to the rates of circumcision in those places?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Couldn't the relevancy of this be determined (at least to some degree) by a statistical analysis of what health or hygiene issues are present in which places, compared to the rates of circumcision in those places?
As long as that doesn't result in "circumcision causes cardiac arrest"-like results it could.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

As long as that doesn't result in "circumcision causes cardiac arrest"-like results it could.

Correlation != Causation and this is something with a heck of a lot of variables...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, probably.  I don't know, in general, how easy it is for dudes to get genital infections.  For women it's pretty damned easy.

Just thought I'd throw out everything I could think of after the "Have we driven off Vector" comment earlier in the thread, and be done with it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the thing is, since our genitals are external, covered with only litte mucous membrane, are having a lower overall temperature and are easier to maintain, they are nearly impossible to get, if you pay some attention to your hygiene.

True, I had urinary tract infections, but they never lasted long and weren't severe. I can't remember when I had my last one.
I'm not sure, if being circumcsied does prevent them.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, probably.  I don't know, in general, how easy it is for dudes to get genital infections.  For women it's pretty damned easy.

Just thought I'd throw out everything I could think of after the "Have we driven off Vector" comment earlier in the thread, and be done with it.

That was a negative comment by me, because debates are less interesting without you and a few other people.

Am I the only one that is surprised that nobody here except for Cthulhu has stated their beef with this line of discussion? I must say personally it's been educational.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the thing is, since our genitals are external, covered with only litte mucous membrane, are having a lower overall temperature and are easier to maintain, they are nearly impossible to get, if you pay some attention to your hygiene.

Huh.  I, on the other hand, grew up with such sage advice as "Vector, if you ever get a yeast infection and can't go to the doctor for any reason, there are other uses for yogurt."  This was when I was in early middle school or something.

So, uh... yeah, I guess I really can't see much reason for circumcision, then.  I don't know if I'd call for a ban on it entirely.  Maybe a grassroots/awareness movement.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile

Your real name is Vector? Giving bad advice for medical uses of dairy products were the least of your parent's errors. Disarming smiley face.  :D
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Giving bad advice for medical uses of dairy products were the least of your parent's errors.

Dickwad.  Disarming smiley face ;D

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your real name is Vector? Giving bad advice for medical uses of dairy products were the least of your parent's errors. Disarming smiley face.  :D
I actually remember reading something similar, in some sort of semi-scientific magazine.
But that was years ago...

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile

Your disarming smiley face winked. THIS IS AN INSULT. Rageface.   >:(

Key word "semi".
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*shrug*
Shall I go off in search for the truth, using magic (Google)?

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile

Anyone else here about the attempted ban on circumcision is San Diego? Constitutional or what?

But... what? Why would they do that? Most people in the US are circumcised, AFAIK.

Probably because they figure children shouldn't have their genitals mutilated without good cause. And no, the traditions their parents follow isn't a good reason.

Maybe. But I think it should be up to the parents, sort of like most Americans.
So I suppose you'd let the let the same happen to girls as well, if the parent desires? Double standards abound. A child's right not to be permanantly mutilated should not be up to the personal choice of their parents. Some things cannot be left for the mob rule to decide.

This is old but I forgot about this thread.

Mr. Slimehunt, there's a reason they call the page for female circumcision "female genital cutting" on Wikipedia. The two things that share the name are grossly different.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

This is old but I forgot about this thread.

Mr. Slimehunt, there's a reason they call the page for female circumcision "female genital cutting" on Wikipedia. The two things that share the name are grossly different.
Don't care.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21