Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: "You Can't Discuss Religion, That's Naughty (But Only If You're Athiest)"  (Read 24583 times)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh geez, you're just setting yourself up for someone more creative than I to make a crude joke.

Exactly as planned.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Like I said earlier...leaving the decision until the child is well old enough to be aware (and terrified) of what the process entails will give you a circumcision rate in the single digits, about on par with getting a Prince Albert piercing (and mostly from the same body-mod demographic).
Gee, I wonder why. Do you see what your logic is here? "The procedure is obviously insane to anyone who is old enough to use reason, therefore force it on infants because tradition."

Why?! Just tell me why. Why should this be an option for parents to force on their children when, say, cosmetic amputation is not? It's the same basic concept, just on a different body part.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:59:13 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought the same, but we will only be going in circles, so I didn't bother pointing it out.
It's probably better to end it for now, before the thread gets picked apart by Toady (that happened the last time we discussed this topic).

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought the same, but we will only be going in circles, so I didn't bother pointing it out.
It's probably better to end it for now, before the thread gets picked apart by Toady (that happened the last time we discussed this topic).

We discussed it before?

Oh. I'm taking my leave from this discussion now then. I enjoyed going in circles with you all.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't mean to insult you.
Just speculating that nothing constructive will come from further discussing it.

Boths sides made their point and that's it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I'm close to incapable of actually feeling insulted over the internet, no matter how viscous my reaction. But yeah, it's one of those stalemates... except that here on bay 12, instead of the rest of the internet I've seen, we recognize it as a stalemate.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Agreed. On that note, I'd just like to share my one of my favorite quotes from South Park:

"No way, dude! We're not staying alone in your house with your wee-wee chopping parents!!"  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

Like I said earlier...leaving the decision until the child is well old enough to be aware (and terrified) of what the process entails will give you a circumcision rate in the single digits, about on par with getting a Prince Albert piercing (and mostly from the same body-mod demographic).
Gee, I wonder why. Do you see what your logic is here? "The procedure is obviously insane to anyone who is old enough to use reason, therefore force it on infants because tradition."

Why?! Just tell me why. Why should this be an option for parents to force on their children when, say, cosmetic amputation is not? It's the same basic concept, just on a different body part.
Because some religions depend on it. Additionally, that's a bit massive of a stretch. Your foreskin serves no purpose other than moar surface area. Your arm? Yeah, you kinda need that. An extra flap in your nether regions? Not so much.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uhm, it has a couple more uses, but nevermind.
Enlighten yourself on wikipedia, I'm too tired for this.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

So there's a massive debate about how it may or may not have any impact on sex, and nothing else? Niiice. ::)
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well if you knew me, you'd be aware that I'm pretty meh about sex.
This means: Read again/harder.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:38:11 am by Mindmaker »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find the idea that the foreskin serves no purpose pretty dubious. As far as I know, it's primarily protective. I guess that matters less if you actually wear clothing, but to say it's not there for a reason is a tad silly.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh.  You do know that in many countries/areas, girls get their ears pierced as babies?  Mexico, anyway, and as a result many parts of California.

See, I think that's ridiculous, because I'm deeply disinterested in the sexualization of infants/the whole "let's get on the beauty train" thing.  It's not about the "oh noooo not some needles!" thing.  Yeah, many parents pierce their daughters' ears before they get to choose, or without telling them what they're doing, and they can get infected.

There is absolutely no advantage to ear piercing outside of this fucked up mess of gender roles and society.  I don't have pierced ears because my mother agrees that kids should decide, preferably in their late teens, about what they want to do.  But many, many mothers don't hold that opinion.

This is obviously not comparable, but it has some flavors of similarity.

Similarly, unless circumcision has suddenly begun to entail cutting pretty much all of the pleasure-feeling parts of your dick off, don't even start with the "female circumcision" bullshit.  This'd be more like an infantile hymen removal, which would be weird given that various places have hymen replacement surgeries in order to maintain the "value" of a woman after she's had sex.  Buuuut I digress.

In any case, I feel like this is something where you should largely decide amongst yourselves.  I can't tell you what should be done.  This is one of those things where I don't really think it should be decided by the children, because I think of it kind of like another layer of vaccination and disease prevention.  On the other hand, women can theoretically decide whether or not they want to have sex with an uncut partner, and it should be adults who are deciding whether they want to have sex or not, anyway... so guys can choose if they want to cut it for disease reasons before they become sexually active.

On the other other hand, I know that I was a filthy teenager, and that the last place I'd want an infection would be under the foreskin.  Er, if I had one.  But that, despite knowing that, I probably wouldn't have done a very good job of keeping myself clean.  As we know, teenagers in general don't have the same ability to calculate risk and carry foresight that adults do.

But, anyway... this is just some thinking in various directions.  Feel free to ignore me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:18:41 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, I've never known cultural differences were so immense between the USA and Europe.
I was very suprised when I read that 75% of the male US citizens were circumcised.
Around here this only serves religious purposes or if a complication is discovered on a newborn and there's no way without removing the tissue.

A friend of mine had the latter as I found out yesterday and we discussed it at great lenghts.
I know, weird. But quite informative.

Still, it's very uncommon and never comes up, when discussing hygiene or sex.
And still, we somehow manage to keep our genitals from festering, as well as our sexual act from being considered disgusting or unhealthy.

I can't say how much genital dryness is considered an issue in this regard.
It's highly uncomfortable for uncircumcised people, that's all I can say.
Should be less of a problem for anybody being circumcised, since that place goes numb, until the natural moisture is restored, from what I've been told.

Still I can't imagine that it's comfortable or healthy.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

For the record, I've only known one person who's seen both sides of the coin (And been sexually active enough to know how things changed).  He got circumcised as an adult and apparently both he and his wife liked the change.

But maybe he was just making himself like it.  Goodness knows people will do anything to validate the size and shape of their penises (See: 90% of the circumcision debate)
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21