Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]  (Read 31593 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2011, 04:32:04 am »

And what would be your agenda?
Asking because I'm at least for a moment actually considering that...  ;D
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2011, 06:52:54 am »

We will begin by "Failing" The surgeries and that will leave all the injured soldiers dead and unable to fight thus leaveing the fortress unguarded which means we can kill the burearcracy aka Channellashed and Stronghammer without getting killed by the more trained guards and we will let some doctors stay behind and be "loyalists" and "heal" the soldiers, but what will happen really is that they will kill them in they're sleep and then the doctors will rule the Universe!!!!!!
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:44 am »

Hmmmmm, note to self dont go for check up, and invest in adamantine door that i can lock on the inside :P

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2011, 09:09:22 am »

5th of Galena, year 106

Our justice system has gained the first victim. The jeweler, who was locked down there some time ago due tax collector's mandate, died to thirst. It seems that everybody forgot to bring water. Dohon ordered some prisoners to haul the corpse away and clean the cell before it can be used again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

19th of Galena, year 106

Human caravan arrived our fortress. But unlike previous times they were accompanied by diplomat as well. What's with all the diplomats suddenly? First gnolls and now humans?

Well, the man came just to make sure the relations between us and them stays peaceful. According to the diplomat they have already heard about the incident between us and the gnoll diplomat, though how they know about it wasn't told. Well, even though we don't do much trading with humans we will stay peaceful, at least for now.

Speaking of trading, we only bought some metal bars from the caravan. They just didn't have anything worth of buying, or at least nothing we can't produce ourselves in case of need. Why waste our crafts for humans if we can give those to our kingdom?

10th of Sandstone, year 106

The Siege Breaker is ready!

The last pieces of mechanisms were installed today, and finally the marvelous construction is finished.

So, what this thing actually contains? Well, we have this huge walled area in the middle, connected to western entrance with another access from west side. The idea is that the attackers must get through the area, and when they are inside the floodgates at each side will be closed, preventing the escape.

Next we have this channel to provide magma from the crater. The magma is moved by five pumps constructed from iron. Right next to it there is also draining channel for magma, which will direct the flow back to the crater.

Then we have the water source in south. Only one pump will get the water from the pond, which hasn't been connected to rive yet but will be soon. The plan is to mostly use magma, and water only if there is something we really want to safe, like the stuff brought by elven caravan.

Finally we have the water drainage, taking all the water to river.

Everything is controlled by levers, as each part of the Breaker has own controlling lever. This way we have total control of what happens. Of course the pumps are still operating the power of dwarf, but we have plenty of spare prisoner to operate those so that's not a problem.

11th of Sandstone, year 106

One of our children has produced a stone figurine.

The main image of the figurine related to foundation of one of the outpost over ten years ago. An outpost which was never heard again.

Now, the strange thing is that no children should be allowed to enter workshops unless specifically told to get something from them. Why was this child working in one is way above my understanding, and especially why he was allowed to continue his work? I think that's something Dohon must find out.

11th of Timber, year 106

The testing of Siege Breaker was success! Of course there was no siege to test it to but at least the system holds, there is no leaks anywhere. The area was filled with water and now we are going to drain it.

15th of Timber, year 106

We made a horrible discovery today. As the water level was lowering inside the central area of Siege Breaker we spotted a body.

Stronghammer ordered the western floodgates to be opened immediately so that the water will drain out faster. We don't know whose body it is but I have my fears. After all I haven't seen our tax collector for a while.

16th of Timber, year 106

The Siege Breaker is not empty yet but we have been able to identify the corpse. It was just as feared, the body belonged to our tax collector Logem Tongshailed. We have no clues how he ended up in there, though Channellashed was first to demand official inspection of the incident.

What made things worse was that the caravan and liaison from mountain home came today. It's not a good way to greet liaison with front yard buzzing with noisy dwarves wanting to see a dead body floating inside our Siege Breaker.

23rd of Timber, year 106

It appears that the liaison ain't happy to our situation. Not happy at all, in fact she was quite angry during the meeting. But lets start from the beginning.

So, the caravan and liaison came and our front yard was crowded with noisy dwarves. Of course this raised some questions on the liaison's mind, especially since there was that enormous constructions. Well, Stronghammer was quick to take the control, leading the caravan to depot and the liaison to the office.

First thing Stronghammer did was the trading. Lots of metal was bought as well as dozens stack of high quality bolts. All of this cost us well over twenty-thousand bucks worth of crafts, which on the other hand was just a small portion of our stores.

Next it was time meet the liaison. I was, as usual, invited to the meeting as well as Dohon and Channellashed. At first the liaison didn't understand the reason why the last two were invited, as usually it were just Stronghammer and me. After Stronghammer explained the situation to her the hell broke loose.

"You say WHAT HAPPENED?! Your tax collector has been found dead? And you belief it was murder?" She was really pissed of.

"Yes, we believe it was murder though we because the corpse is still inside the construction. But we will find out what happened." Stronghammer spoke like he was trying to apologize. And I think it fooled the liaison. But not me. I know he is just happy that the tax collector was removed. I have no proof but I wouldn't be surprised he had something to do with the death. And if he does then I suspect Dohon can't figure out what happened. Or he can but he won't give out the information due his support towards Stronghammer. Yes, I know that Dohon supports Stronghammer. Who knows, perhaps it was Dohon himself behind the whole thing?

"You better do that before next year. It is not a good thing to let your personnel be murdered without consequences. I believe the king wouldn't like about that."

And so the topic of dead tax collector ended, though not for good, as the truth behind the incident was still mystery to most of us.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2011, 09:13:50 am »

How's Lecktor doing?  I really wish he'd become more important in this prison, IRL, he'd never settle for his current job, whatever it is.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:05 am »

How's Lecktor doing?  I really wish he'd become more important in this prison, IRL, he'd never settle for his current job, whatever it is.   

Are you going to be someone's side or do you do freelance jobs?

Just asking for the future updates, you will play some mayor role but everything depends on whose side you are on, if anybody's.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2011, 09:48:30 am »

...I must have missed a lot, I think I skipped some parts.  This error aside, stay neutral and observe, it's what he'd do anyway.

Did you say I'll play as a mayor?  Please clarify, because my mind's not working properly. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:30 am »

...I must have missed a lot, I think I skipped some parts.  This error aside, stay neutral and observe, it's what he'd do anyway.

Did you say I'll play as a mayor?  Please clarify, because my mind's not working properly.

Sorry, perhaps I chose wrong words. Lecktor will play a key role in upcoming events, so no, you are not the mayor.  :P

But I really suggest you check the events you missed, there have been lots of important things going on lately. To summary, you can either side with mayor or Stronghammer. The mayor wants to turn the fortress to capital as soon as possible so that the king will restore the fortress to what it was originally meant to be, while Stronghammer wants to become duke so that he has more power in the fortress when the king arrives. Basically becoming duchy means easier time to prisoners.

There has been other disagreements between the two sides as well. For example the mayor thinks Stronghammer as traitor as he ordered elven eyes to be used as replacement parts for few soldiers who lost their vision due forgotten beast attack. Then there was this incident with demon diplomat of gnolls, mayor wanted to trade with it while Stronghammer disagreed. Note that the demon turned berserk and was killed so that trading couldn't even happen anymore.

You could also stay neutral and just do some murders you were ordered by either side, or only those that benefits you most. Up to you really.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:03:54 pm by Kipi »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2011, 10:06:00 am »

Side with Stronghammer, having looser security measures is always good for a psychopath.  Thanks for giving my dorf a bigger role ( or so you say ) I appreciate it.  What exactly will Lecktor do, without revealing anything your planning? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2011, 10:42:23 am »

Well, lets just say that Stronghammer will turn his blind eye to your actions as long as the actions doesn't hinder his career and you stay loyal to him.  ;)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2011, 10:56:09 am »

Well, lets just say that Stronghammer will turn his blind eye to your actions as long as the actions doesn't hinder his career and you stay loyal to him.  ;)

I see.  Very well. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2011, 11:27:22 am »

6th of Moonstone, year 106

Before leaving the liaison informed that the King has decided to make us a county of the kingdom. And that means Stronghammer was promoted to count.

As you can imagine Channellashed wasn't too happy with the news. Well, there is nothing she could do about it so she just accepted the news, though she was murmuring something about traitors and unfairness.

On other news, count Stronghammer ordered the goblin prisoners to be executed. The execution took place early this morning, at the platform dedicated to it.

The whole even was over as soon as it begun, and there were dozens of dwarves watching while the archers slaughtered the poor goblins. The cheering was loud, even those who stayed indoors were able to hear it.

The corpse of tax collector has been recovered and examined. The cause of death was, basing to Kilik, drowning, but the poor bastard had his head crushed pretty badly so there was no way he could have survived nevertheless. Dohon is, at least officially, inspecting the death, though my suspicions have grown that he won't find the guilty. And even if he does he won't announce it. But that's all unofficial thoughts of mine, nothing is sure yet.

After the inspection the corpse was buried among the rest of the deceased members of staff, and the tomb was sealed so nobody will disturb the eternal peace.

23rd of Moonstone, year 106

The official report of Tongshailed's death came today. In the report Dohon states that the death was caused by drowning, which was helped by the injure in head caused by falling in the drowning area. Nothing indicates crime happened and thus the case is closed.

I knew the report was going to state that. But I also know the truth behind all of it, or at least I'm fairly sure I know. You see, the last time the tax collector was seen discussing with the prisoner Lecktor. After that nobody saw him. There were also witnesses claiming that they saw Lecktor outside the fortress just before the pumping of water begun.

Now, I took these findings to Stronghammer. First he asked if I had solid proof and why Dohon didn't find out those. I had no other solid proof but the words of several witnesses. After that he said that those dwarves were most probably the followers of Channellashed and that it was just a plan to undermine his position as the leader of the fortress. It is, after all, known that Lecktor has given support to Stronghammer instead of Channellashed and thus it was only expected that if Lecktor were connected to death the next person to be questioned would be him. He also ordered me to forget what I heard and focus on the future and not on the past. Well, as the historian my duty is to focus on the past as well as on the present.

What all of this has caused is that I no longer officially support Stronghammer. No, I don't support Channellashed either, as I prefer staying alive and thus neutral path is the only safe option right now. I have also no proof to take the matter to mayor, in fact I would consider it several times even if I did. But I will keep my eyes open in future.

The whole clash between Stronghammer and Channellashed has also caused the former to order the installation of adamantine doors on his quarters. Officially Stronghammer justified the decision by the fact that he became count, but I know there is more behind it. He fears. And he is right to do so, I'm sure Channellashed won't let the death of her most vocal supporter to go without taking actions.

27th of Moonstone, year 106

Stronghammer has ordered that any item left on the floor shall be confiscated. This means that all the equipment, clothing or anything else that is not used anymore is now the property of the fortress. While this will make several dwarves angry I find this action refreshing as there are lots of stuff scattered around. Perhaps those things can now be put in better use, like trading?

9th of Opal, year 106

One of our doctors came to Stronghammer's office, carrying a drow war boot made from adamantine.

It had no other decorations except the studding done with adamantine.

Stronghammer was clearly uninterested about it, even though our bookkeeper had estimated the value to nearly eight-hundred thousand bucks. The reason behind the lack of interest was due the fact that it was drow war boot, thus not fitting well for dwarven foot. He muttered something about waste of adamantine, though he did it in so low voice that I can't be sure I heard him right.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:03:12 pm by Kipi »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »

This is an entertaining fort, mind of I claim a dwarf?

Argonnek
Prisoner
Crime: Thievery. He is a master thief, and often stole rings right off of people's fingers without them noticing. He was caught when the guard busted down his door and confiscated his coffer of shinies.

I can't decide what his profession should be, so just choose someone.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2011, 01:37:22 pm »

Chapter 6 - The Fall of Evercage

12th of Obsidian, year 106

The vikings are here. And they have sent their best troops, commanded by their war-leader. The eastern bridge was raised and everybody was ordered to stay inside. It's time to give our Siege Breaker a true test.

16th of Obsidian, year 106

The siege didn't begin well on our side as one of our children was forgotten outside. The poor thing had no chance against the horde of vikings.

We never managed to trap all the attackers inside the Siege Breaker, but at least two squads, including the only elite archer of the vikings, were trapped. It was time to seal the area and start the magma pumping.

While the magma was poured in the Siege Breaker the eastern exit was opened to lure the remaining vikings to the firing range of our archers.

The fighting was going well, all the vikings trying to enter our fortress from east were slaughtered by our archers and in the west the trapped ones were burning to death. But suddenly a terrible sound came from the forge area and earth was shaking. When we went to investigate a small section of the ground had collapsed.

Worse was that there was magma pouring inside from the hole, slowly filling the area. The pumping of more magma was halted immediately.

At the same time two of our archers made the most stupid decision they could; they left the safety of the walls and rushed towards the almost broken viking force, trying to bash the skulls with their crossbows. Apparently they had ran out of ammo and didn't bother to get more, instead they decided to go full melee. But when they engaged the vikings they learned that their decision was the most terrible one as they were attacked by vampires from behind.

The two dwarves fought bravely but the vampires knew exactly what they were doing. First they attacked Ahra, as it was clear they knew who was the commander of the archers. The fight was fierce but there was just no way for him to defend himself against all the attacks, and thus Ahra was slain. May he rest in peace.

Next the vampires turned their attention to second dwarf. It was already clear that one archer just can't defend long when outnumbered, especially when the fighting is done as close combat. It took just few hits and another archer was down.

When there was no archers left to defend, the two alive weren't found anywhere, the vampires had a clear path inside. Few of them got killed by the traps but not all, and so those rushed towards our melee soldiers. Soldiers of which two were blinded. At this point Stronghammer ordered the mob squad to join the battle, even when they had no equipment.

The fight was brutal, nothing was given away easily. First the vampires slaughtered our two war dogs chained at the entrance. Next they went and killed our only seeing axe soldier.

Next they targeted Rar, who unfortunately had no way to defend himself properly due blindness. The death was slow and painful as his corpse was hacked to pieces before he died.

At this point the panic rose and me, Stronghammer and Dohon hurried to Stronghammer's office for safety.

2nd of Granite, year 107

I never managed to reach the office and neither did Dohon. Apparently Stronghammer decided to lock himself in there alone, without food and without hope. My only hope is to avoid the vampires, to hide somewhere they can't find me from.

The situation is bad, very bad. I have even begun calling this as the end of Evercage. Our soldiers weren't able to hold the vampires out and those are inside now. Inside, chasing innocent civilians, slaughtering them when they catch. I got a quick look at our front yard and there are several fallen dwarves out there.

And when everything looked terrible the things got worse; more vampires were coming, and we already have a hard time with the few inside.

And on the top of everything there is this huge grass fire west from us. Apparently the fire was caused by the magma, though I have no clue how the fire got past the walls.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:49:24 pm by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2011, 01:41:00 pm »

This is an entertaining fort, mind of I claim a dwarf?

Argonnek
Prisoner
Crime: Thievery. He is a master thief, and often stole rings right off of people's fingers without them noticing. He was caught when the guard busted down his door and confiscated his coffer of shinies.

I can't decide what his profession should be, so just choose someone.

Well, I think in this situation it doesn't really matter which profession I choose...  :P

But here you go:
Spoiler: Argonnek (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:48:48 pm by Kipi »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16