Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]  (Read 31602 times)

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2011, 05:23:51 pm »

I would like to have the guards execute my opposition on "charges" if at all possible and yay go me

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2011, 12:13:48 pm »

Heh, I guess he ditched his imaginary friend once he felt useful. :P

On the topic, how's Yorilda doing? I've sorta fallen behind with the fort, I'll have to go catch up!

Yeah, that's possible. Though I have never seen a dwarf to loose friend before...

And nothing has changed since the Interlude 1, your caste is still waiting for the cathedral to be ready.

I would like to have the guards execute my opposition on "charges" if at all possible and yay go me

Lets see if there comes any good opportunities for executions...  ;)

Oh, and by the way...
I... HATE... Windows Autoupdate!!!  >:(

Yes, lost some progress again due automatic rebooting while my computer was supposed to be in sleeping mode... From last entry the 26th of Obsidian section has been erased, going to put that section under spoiler now...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:15:26 pm by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2011, 02:14:55 pm »

19th of Obsidian, year 105

The goblins are here... again!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But if we thought that we had experienced the real wrath of goblins this day proves it wrong. You see, this time the leader of goblins is nobody else but their general, which is more or less the same as king to us!

The order was given that all civilians must, again, get inside and stay there. At the same time all our soldiers must regroup at their designated station points, then we will see what happens.

21st of Obsidian, year 105

As usual, first group to reach our fortress was the troll squad.

If only trolls would use armor they would give us some challenge, but no. Three of ten trolls were able to actually reach the inner yard, but our melee soldiers had easy time to dispatch those wounded things.

Next came the crossbow squad from west. This is the other squad we fear most, right after the slasher squad, as archers are always deadly and this squad was commanded by elite archer.

From dozen or so archers only handful survived, among them the elite archer. Rest of them were slain by our traps. What we feared most was that the elite would get past the traps, as is usually the case, but this one didn't even bother to try when all the subordinates around fell down.

While the goblin archers were fleeing the next wave was approaching from the same direction. Two full squads of mace warriors and axe fighters, commanded by another elite archer and master of spears. We decided to keep our archers on eastern wall as we are expecting the general to come from that direction in any moment, leading his squad of lashers. We need to thin that squad down as much as we can with archers, so that's our concern right now.

While the two goblin squad were coming from west another troll squad came from east. Why didn't we spot those out before? Well, good thing we kept our archers on that side.

And then the real battle begun. The main force of goblins were pouring inside, not even our traps were able to hold them away.

The goblins were driven off by the sheer ferocity of our soldiers. It also appears that the general of goblins was witnessing the events, as the lasher squad begun retreating immediately when the main force was broken and fleeing.

When the dust was settled down it was time to see the result. Dozens, dozens of goblins and trolls were slain. But one of our guards was dead as well, shot down by the elite archer leading the mace warriors.

Of the five remaining axe soldiers three took wounds during the battle, the faith of two still open. One took wounds on right arm, which may have caused the arm become unusable. Other took wounds to left leg and foot, and crutch will be required before that dwarf can walk away. The only good thing was that Rar took no wounds during the battle, even though he actually took part in fight.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2011, 12:52:16 pm »

7th of Granite, year 106

Two of the wounded soldiers has got out from hospital. One of the two is unable to hold anything in right hand, though that shouldn't stop him from fighting. The last soldier in hospital is still waiting for crutch to be installed.

All would be more or less fine if our doctors hadn't made terrible discovery while diagnosing the patients. It appears that the numbness caused by Timad Syndrome is getting worse, several of the infected were reporting of complete numbness in several parts of their bodies.

This was discovered while Rar was reporting strange feeling in his right ankle. First they though that all of it was because of the syndrome but it also appears that his ankle has been infected. It is unknown how serious the infection is, but due the effects syndrome our doctors are scared to do anything.

14th of Granite, year 106

Stronghammer mandate for three large gems never got completed. This means that again one dwarf will be thrown to jail.

Among all the dwarves here Stronghammer just had to punish one of the blinded ones? Yes, the dwarf in question is suffering from Timad Syndrome, and thus we have no quarantines that he will survive from the punishment.

18th of Granite, year 106

Another worthless artifact has been made. A giant corkscrew, made from bones? And where in name of Armok would we need that?

It doesn't even have any special decorations, just some lousy images and generic spikes. I sometimes really wonder if we have a fortress full of lunatics here... oh wait, we do!

The cleaning of the entrance continues. At first I wasn't able to comprehend the amount of goblins and trolls attacking us but now as I look at our dump yard I do. It's almost filled with corpses and piece of bodies, most of those were from the last goblin attack.  The entrance is almost entirely covered in blood, which is another good indication of active "battle" year we have had.

5th of Slate, year 106

Oh crap! There is a huge feathered scorpion inside our fortress!!

Due the victory against goblins we totally forgot that our backdoor to cavern was still open. Apparently the beast crawled inside from there.
Stronghammer has sent our military to deal with it, hopefully everything goes better than our last encounter with strange beast.

6th of Slate, year 106

The beast crawled higher and higher until it reached the floor with dining hall. In there it grabbed one of our dogs and threw it towards wall with such force that the dog literally exploded to pieces.

Right after that the beast was faced by our heroic soldiers. While the archers were bashing it with their crossbows, which made it faint, our melee soldiers were able to hack it to small pieces with axes. No dwarf was injured during the process, though sadly one of our dogs died. Oh well, lets hope it was nobody's pet.

10th of Slate, year 106

Stronghammer has ordered another construction project, though what I heard is that the one originally behind the idea is Niney. The project is called "Siege Breaker" and, just like the name indicates, it is meant to repel any sieges coming this way.

The idea behind it is that we have this huge walled area just next to western entrance. The attacker will be lured inside, then entrances will be locked forbidding fleeing. Next we can choose whether we use magma or water to kill the buggers. We use water if there is some equipment we want to salvage, magma if we there isn't any. Either way the liquid gets pumped inside, drowning or melting the attackers. Next step is to drain the area and reopen it.

Oh god, why didn't we come out such thing before? Would have saved lots of trouble from us, and few of our dead dwarves would still be alive and kicking.

11th of Felsite, year 106

It appears that the dog in fact was someone's pet. That would explain why nobody dared to move the corpse to our dump yard. There it is now, just outside our food stockpiles, spreading miasma everywhere.

Even Stronghammer got fed up with the miasma and thus the dog will be buried inside the general graveyard, outside the fortress. Yes, the same graveyard where all the prisoners go as well.

13th of Felsite, year 106

Ah, the elves arrived!

This means hopefully new set of eyes for our heroic soldiers! Stronghammer already ordered Kilik to prepare the hospital for the surgery, we will kill the elves as soon as everything is ready in that part.

18th of Felsite, year 106

It has been two days since the surgery begun and just moments ago we got the results. Both surgeries were successful, the eyes survived intact from slaughter and there is no reason why those should not work properly now. Kilik wants to keep both guards inside the hospital for few days just in case.

About the slaughter, well, everything went quite smoothly, though Niney got some injuries. The doctors are going to check him next

20th of Felsite, year 106

I have to admit that Stronghammer is really gutsy dwarf. Who else would even consider meeting a demon?

Yes, to start from beginning, we have demon inside our fortres. But not a ordinary demon but apparently a diplomat sent by gnolls! I have thought that gnolls are violent type of creatures, but apparently there is something bigger controlling them. Why else would a demon act as diplomat?

I'm heading back to Stronghammer's office to witness the meeting, I think it's going to be something special to witness.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2011, 04:30:19 pm »

I need more doctors!!!!!!!

please?
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2011, 08:32:17 pm »

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahah stinkinī dog
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2011, 03:56:11 pm »

Interlude 2 - The Meeting With Demon Diplomat

The meeting was called. But it was no ordinary meeting as the subject, and especially one participant, was something nobody would have believed just few days back. The special guest of the meeting was the demon in form of huge panda, with humanoid hands. But what made all of it more confusing was that this demon, calling itself as Rutto, had came to the Evercage in peace and as a diplomat of gnolls

Due the specialty of the meeting extra measures were taken. Usually the meetings were only between the parties directly related to the topic and only outsider was the historian Keysprays. But as there was nothing normal in the situation all the dwarves who were important enough were called to take part. The list included, besides Keysprays and Strongammer, the speaker of the church Yorilda, the mayor Channellashed, captain of the guard Dohon, military commander Rar and, to the surprise of several others, the tax collector Tongshailed. The safety and peace of the meeting was ensured by the Rar's squad, which was stationed outside the office of Stronghammer. The main task was officially to keep their eyes on the demon, but unofficially they was also ordered to keep any nosy dwarf outside the office.

Everybody were already seated, except the demon as it was clear that it was incapable of doing so and on the other hand no chair could handle the sheer weight of the thing. For a few moments the demon was studying the office, during which Stronghammer leaned towards Dohon and whispered "What in Armok's name is Tongshailed doing here?" Dohon just shrugged and then replied in quiet voice that he wanted to attend the meeting and the mayor had given the permission, so there was no way to keep him out. The answer was clearly not satisfying him, which was seen from the sour face Stronghammer gave.

After few moments the demon turned its attention to Stronghammer. "I bring you the greetings of my master, the leader of the gnoll society. I come to you in peace to discuss the relationships between our civilizations." The voice of the demon was deep, it sounded like it was coming somewhere far bellow them. It was a kind of voice no dwarf in Evercage had heard ever before.

"Greetings to you as well. I'm Stronghammer, the baron of this fortress and thus the leader as well. I beg your pardon but I think I haven't heard your name yet."

The smile the demon gave was a strange one, probably caused by the characteristics of panda animal. "You may call me Rutto, or Pestilence in your puny language."

Stronghammer rubbed his beard for a moment before replying. "If you don't mind we use your true name Rutto? The word pestilence is not a word we would like to use as name due it's meaning."

The smile of the demon broadened, turning to something that resembled grin. "I know exactly what that word means in your language. And I don't mind, though I fail to see the difference. It is, after all, the same word, just in different language. But that's not a matter we should focus on further. I'm here because the gnolls want to offer the treaty of peace to you and my duty is to negotiate the terms of it. Are you interested hearing more?"

Before Stronghammer was able to reply Channellashed jumped to her feet, arms crossed before her. "Before anything I want to know why a such thing as demon is serving gnolls? What's your gain in such relation, huh?"

The demon fixed its eyes to Channellashed, the grin had vanished and now it was showing its filed teeth. That was when Stronghammer stood up as well. "Channellashed, shut up!" Then he turned to demon, which was still eyeing the mayor angrily. "My apologizes, our mayor here just doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut. But she has a point there, I'm also curious to know why such a powerful being as you would serve such a tribe like gnolls?"

"Apologize accepted, though you should keep tighter reign over your subjects. Or perhaps you aren't the one I should be discussing with, hm? Perhaps I should negotiate with this mayor of yours? But never mind, your question is a fair one." The demon paused for a moment, clearly thinking before continuing. "Lets just say that my reasons are my own. I could spend an eternity trying to explain you something your feeble minds wouldn't be able to understand anyway, so I see no point in trying. The only thing I'm willing to share with you is that my servitude suites my plans and needs right now and thus I see no reason why things should be otherwise. Satisfied?"

Stronghammer nodded and returned to his seat. "And you, Channellashed, you stay quiet unless spoken to! Did I make myself clear?"

Channellashed returned to her seat as well, faintly nodding, though her expression told everybody in the room that the matter was not even close to being solved.

"Now, Stronghammer, I gave you an answer and now I'm want you to answer. Are you willing to agree about the peace?"

"Now hold on a moment! You told you had some terms as well, right? I want to hear those out before giving the answer."

The smile had returned to demon's face. "Ah, I see that you are not as stupid as I was made to believe. Of course you should know the terms before answering. What I'm offering is the peace and even a protection from goblins. Yes, we share the hate towards them. In return we demand some equipment. I also know that you have discovered adamantine as the commander over there and the soldiers outside were equipped with armor and weapons made from it. What I want is a small portion of it for personal use."

Stronghammer's face was darkening. "Are you suggesting that we should just hand some of our weapons and armors to gnolls? And what would prevent them using those against us in some point? What do you say to that?"

"That's where the adamantine comes in question. If you give me some of your adamantine, ten percent of all the mined ores should be enough, I will personally see that the gnolls will not raise their arms against you."

"So, let me get this straight. We give you adamantine, gnolls some equipment and you promise none of those will be used against us? Hypothetically, what grade of equipment are we talking about?"

"Steel equipment. The better the quality the better."

"And what if the situation comes to that you don't see any gain from serving gnolls? Who would stop them then?"

"Not if, but when. But that shouldn't be a problem since I haven't planned letting any of them live after I leave them."

"And you are telling this to us why?"

"Because I want you to trust me."

"Trust you, a demon? Give me a break! And where the Armoks sake would you need adamantine anyway?"

"Please, no cursing when I'm here! And the adamantine is coming for personal studies. I want to learn everything about it and I can't without samples."

"And why shouldn't we just use that adamantine to give all of our soldiers better equipment? Heck, we could arm the whole fortress with it!"

"Every goblin killed by gnolls is one goblin less coming on your way. And that means lesser danger to your precious hides. So, what do you say?"

Again Channellashed stood up. "Stronghammer, I think this offer is too good just to be passed by! We don't actually need all that adamantine down there!"

"Shut the fuck up! You know that those words could cause you to loose your head? Your luck that the king is not here to hear what you have been saying! You would be punished for being a traitor!"

Channellashed crossed her arms, studying Stronghammer with hard, cold eyes. "A traitor? Strange words coming from someone such as you! If only the king knew all the things you have been doing down here! Using elves as source of replace parts for our soldiers? Sending our soldiers to probable death? Who is the traitor here I wonder?"

To everybody's surprise Tongshailed raised his arm. "Both of you, I think that's not a discussion to have before this mighty demon! But I support Channellashed here, we could really use some rest from the goblins and if the gnolls are able to provide it to us then we should at least consider the possibility."

"By the Armok's balls! The answer is no! I'm the one who calls the shots here and I'm the only one who will answer to our king about those!" Stronghammer turned to the demon and continued. "I'm sorry but we must disagree with those terms. We will gladly have a peace with gnolls and we would be more than happy if they can help us fending the goblins away. But what you propose is not something we can agree. Please return when you have a better offer than that."

"Fine, I'll take your words to gnolls. But be assured this isn't over yet. I will return, either with another proposal or with forces. It all depends on my master. Now I excuse you, I have other things to attend back in the camp."

With saying that the demon left, leaving the dwarves where they had been. Stronghammer turned to Channellashed with angry expression. "And I promise to you that we are not done yet! Oh no, I will remember what has happened here today and your words. Both of you shall feel the consequences of your words, either by me or by our king. Now everybody, this meeting is over and you are all dismissed!"

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2011, 04:29:50 pm »

If you ask Karakzon:

Keep the Adamantine, its rare, its valuble and overall, when our millatery is clad in it all the goblins in the world could desend upon us and our soldiers would be unstoppable. sod the gnolls. well cut their heads off and put them on adamantine spikes on our walls as a warning.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2011, 07:38:55 pm »

hmmmm I think this could be profitable... if we arm up our fort first then give the remaining steel and 1 or 2 bits of adamantine (for a stupidly high price ,of course) we could easily gain their trust. Of course we should use as much of the adamantine as we can before we ship it out.
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2011, 06:29:51 am »

Chapter 5 - The Might of Dwarven Empire

16th of Hematite, year 106

The aftermath of the demon visit is still quite visible to all of us who knows what happened during the meeting. The relation between Stronghammer and Channellashed is quite flammable, and the support of tax collector to Channellashed ain't helping the situation. Both of them are blaming each other as traitors, that is when they agree to speak with each other. This isn't promising good if they keep on going with such an attitude.

Speaking of tax collector, the deadline of his mandate ended. As before one dwarf was chosen to be locked in the jail, this time for fifty-one days. I'm unsure what he thinks to gain from all of this as we still have no tin in here, a material he so clearly wanted to be used in the crafts.

The Siege Breaker is progressing well, the are has been walled as well as the channels providing either magma or water. Our workers are now setting up all the floodgates, linking them to correct levers and the building the pumps. Last part of the project, after all those mentioned before have been done, is to set the draining channels so that we can safely empty the area. I hope that the construction is ready before another siege comes.

23rd of Hematite, year 106

Oh shit! The demon Rutto has been spotted entering the channel leading from rive to our well. And it was clearly not coming for peaceful negotiation! All of our soldiers have been called to guard the well, we must kill it before anything happens!

24th of Hematite, year 106

The demon is dead! This could be a glorious day if the battle hadn't taken its toll from us; two of our five melee dwarves were killed and two, including Rar, were injured. Though the injuries shouldn't be much to worry about, though our doctors must decide that.

To start from the beginning the archers were the first ones reaching their station. As soon as the demon appeared from the well they begun shooting bolts towards it, confusing it long enough so that the first melee soldier was able to engage. The brave warrior fought well and was able to hold the ground for surprisingly long, enough so that another warrior arrived to the scene. Unfortunately the demon was too strong and it literally slashed the first warrior to pieces.

Next the demon turned its attention to second warrior, while hammered by the bolts of our archers. This time the kill was quick as it beheaded the warrior with one quick slash. The head bounced to the entrance, where Rar and another warrior were coming.

Enraged by the death of two warriors both rushed towards the demon, which was somewhat wounded already. The demon injured the third warrior, who decided to retreat inside, leaving only Rar outside battling with the demon. The situation looked quite grim when suddenly everything changed.

The death of the demon was one of the strangest thing. You see, one of our archer, or at least that's what I was told, was late in reporting the station. When the dwarf finally came, carrying a barrel of beer, she carefully placed the barrel down, raised her crossbow and shot one bolt. That one bolt made from copper pierced the head of the demon, going in from the left eye and coming out from the back of the head, tearing the brain while passing through. And there it was, the demon was dead. And what did the archer do? She picked up the barrel, took a long swig from it and then returned inside like nothing had happened.

Rar was injured during the fight as well but he was able to leave the scene without help, so there is a high chance that the wounds were nothing serious. Only if the archer had came sooner, perhaps both of our dead warriors would be still alive...

27th of Hematite, year 106

I have bad news and good news. The good news are that neither of our wounded soldiers were badly injured. The wounds were just flesh wounds, so nothing to worry in that matter.

The bad news are that the Timad Syndrome is still causing problems. Even though the eyes were replaced by elven ones the syndrome has caused those to stop functioning properly, which has made the dwarves blind again. So, both of our wounded warriors are blind as well. This is bad, very bad. I think it's time to reconsider having another squad with adamantine gear and retire the two from active service. Even though this is sad thing we can't keep blinded soldiers in active rooster in case of fight. We need able dwarves for that.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19:01 am »

awsome read once again. Oh and OFF WITH THE TRAITORS HEADS. lol keep up the good work.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2011, 03:38:57 pm »

OFF WITH CHANNELLASHED HEAD

also can i get 1 more doctor?

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:16 am »

is that badass crossbower from my squad?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:05 am »

Yep as we have only one archer squad.  :D

I have noticed that so far one archer squad is enough and I would rather reserve all our spare guards to melee squads.

also can i get 1 more doctor?

We currently have five doctors, you included. I'll see if I come across any good dwarf with experience in those skills but can't promise anything immediately.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:35:04 am by Kipi »

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2011, 08:25:34 pm »

I must have a whole army of doctors and start the doctor rebellion
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16