Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855854 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12360 on: February 25, 2012, 07:29:34 pm »

...what.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12361 on: February 25, 2012, 07:34:28 pm »

...Wow. Looks like Canada is a bit more corrupt than everyone thought. This is definitely going to have consequences.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12362 on: February 25, 2012, 07:36:12 pm »

Canada isn't corrupt, though it's become less savory lately... Oh, say, since the conservatives got in power, and especially since they got their majority.

It's the Conservatives mainly, and Harper in particular, that are corrupt. :/
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: February 25, 2012, 08:59:20 pm »

Ho boy.

That's gonna be a fun mess to clean up.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: February 25, 2012, 09:12:41 pm »

Canadian conservatives equate to something like the Democrats here in the US, with their left-wing parties being beyond the pale in American politics.

If you've ever followed politics in a place like Chicago or New Orleans, you know they are brazenly corrupt and almost admired by voters as such. People think it's charming, like Bill Clinton and cigars and interns.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: February 25, 2012, 09:31:26 pm »

I considered posting this in the American Election thread... But it is a Canadian election issue.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/22/racknine-inc-fraudulent-election-calls-traced/

Canada's government is illegitimate, the result of blatant voter fraud. In the last election the Canadian conservative party, who won a "majority" by a very slim margin, made robocalls to non-conservative voters informing them that the location of the polls had been changed so that they would arrive at the wrong location and be unable to vote.
Gah, same sort thing happened in the south, to some black neighborhoods in at least 2004 i think, they got flyers advertising the wrong date for the election, and warnings that if you had any traffic tickets and the like you could be jailed for voting.

BTW montague: plenty of crooks in the republican ranks, and highly dodgy views which they are lauded for

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/07/20/republicans-dominate-watchdogs-list-crooked-candidates/

There's all Dick Cheney's pals who got totally ridicuolous 100 million or multi-billion dollar contracts in the Iraq War, for one thing.

See BBC Panorama documentary "daylight robbery". you'd need 1000 Chicago's to add up to the cost to taxpayers of Cheney's fraud.

First up consider Northstar, the company assigned to audit the books of the Provisional Authority in Iraq. They weren't auditors, not even accountants, they were a small husband and wife company with no employees operating out of a suburban house in San Diego which specialized in - kitchen designs. While they were running the show, $8 Billion vanished from the $20 billion budget (this is the Provisional Authority's budget in 2003 - 2004 - ALL AMERICANS, not Iraqi's).

Also, many of these contracts were ok'd without due process which includes submitting competitive tenders - that's 100% illegal under U.S. laws. Anyone in the Pentagon who questioned the contracts passing through got sacked or demoted, they interview some of these people in the documentaries.

This isn't some conspiracy site stuff, this is from face-to-face interviews with the US Senate's head of the investigative committee (Senator Henry Waxman). The documentary Daylight Robbery is filled with these tales of corruption and blatantly getting your employees killed to maximize profits.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:47:53 pm by Reelya »

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: February 26, 2012, 04:11:39 am »

Canada isn't corrupt, though it's become less savory lately... Oh, say, since the conservatives got in power, and especially since they got their majority.

I hope we see a few by-elections out of this. With an extreme amount of luck (and enough by-elections), if the Liberals/NDP were able to grab enough seats, they could topple the majority government.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12367 on: February 26, 2012, 12:48:36 pm »

I hope we see a few by-elections out of this. With an extreme amount of luck (and enough by-elections), if the Liberals/NDP were able to grab enough seats, they could topple the majority government.

I don't see it happening any time soon.

In other Canadian news a Waterloo man has been taken into custody and had his house searched without a warrant and was also strip searched once at the police station. All because his 4yo daughter drew a picture of a gun.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: February 26, 2012, 01:00:04 pm »

Doesn't every child draw weapons?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #12369 on: February 26, 2012, 01:18:43 pm »

I drew axes and bows and shit.

Man, my mother could've been in trouble, huh?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: February 26, 2012, 01:43:22 pm »

All because his 4yo daughter drew a picture of a gun.

She should be drawing ponies and princesses and flowers and houses! The father must obviously be a terrorist drugsmuggling crimelord.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #12371 on: February 26, 2012, 01:54:35 pm »

I used to draw tanks rolling through fields of bones, dismembered bodies and battleships sinking as people swim up to the surface of the water only to be engulfed by the burning gas at the surface... Nothing wrong with that.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: February 26, 2012, 02:16:48 pm »

"It is patently unfair that men avoid the rewards of unwanted fatherhood by presuming that their judgment over such matters is more valid than the judgment of the General Assembly. ... It is the purpose of the General Assembly to assert an invasive state interest in the reproductive habits of men in this state and substitute the will of the government over the will of adult men."
My god are they serious? Like, are they fucking serious? They can't be serious. It is irony, or sarcasm or something. My mind is just blown beyond... No words can ever, ever describe this feeling of rage, bemusement, confusion and lulamerica. It is like somebody coming up to you and saying they have the right to rape you in the name of the General Assembly, on the basis that the General Assembly's interest in your reproduction is more important that your own.
This is a couple pages back, but I don't think anyone pointed out that this reaction is exactly what the bill was intended to reveal. I've never heard anyone get anywhere near as mad over women's birth control bills that say basically the same thing.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: February 26, 2012, 02:17:25 pm »

According to the article she drew a picture of her father holding a gun and said
“That’s my daddy’s. He uses it to shoot bad guys and monsters.”
Which to be honest does sound kindof concerning.  Shouldn't have been enough to trigger arresting the guy but I don't know why people posting on the thread are misrepresenting what the article says.

Also I'm not sure where "searched without a warrant" came from.
After he was released, Sansone was asked to sign a paper authorizing a search of his home. He signed, even though he didn’t have to, he said.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:22:29 pm by Leafsnail »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: February 26, 2012, 02:37:44 pm »

That... doesn't sound at all concerning to me. Have you met kids? It's not at all unusual for them to have violence-heavy fantasies or make up violence-heavy stories. Not every kid does, obviously, but it's not really a weird thing, particularly given how prominently epic battles and duels figure into stories and general culture (I hesitate to speculate how much of it is inherent to being a kid). As far as I can tell, putting your father in the role of protagonist in one of them signifies a close relationship with the father, if it signifies anything at all.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 852