Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855425 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12375 on: February 26, 2012, 03:26:31 pm »

I used to draw tanks rolling through fields of bones, dismembered bodies and battleships sinking as people swim up to the surface of the water only to be engulfed by the burning gas at the surface... Nothing wrong with that.

Considering your own story, you're not really supporting your own argument here.
Love, scriver~

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12376 on: February 26, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »

That... doesn't sound at all concerning to me. Have you met kids? It's not at all unusual for them to have violence-heavy fantasies or make up violence-heavy stories. Not every kid does, obviously, but it's not really a weird thing, particularly given how prominently epic battles and duels figure into stories and general culture (I hesitate to speculate how much of it is inherent to being a kid). As far as I can tell, putting your father in the role of protagonist in one of them signifies a close relationship with the father, if it signifies anything at all.

Yes, kids have very active imaginations. However, kids also express their fucked-up home/family situations through that imagination often enough that you can't just dismiss everything out of hand.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12377 on: February 26, 2012, 03:58:52 pm »

Doesn't every child draw weapons?

All because his 4yo daughter drew a picture of a gun.

She should be drawing ponies and princesses and flowers and houses! The father must obviously be a terrorist drugsmuggling crimelord.

And yet they wouldn't have liked it if I drew ponies and princesses and flowers and houses.... :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12378 on: February 26, 2012, 04:41:33 pm »

Especially since one of Zrk2's articles suggests the kids thought a fake gun at home which the dad kept was actually real.  So in other words on questioning they'd say that yes, their dad had a gun at home that they had access to, giving rise to the misunderstanding.

I dunno, it's the kind of story that only seems bad if you condense it into a horribly misleading tabloid style headline.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12379 on: February 26, 2012, 04:44:18 pm »

Knowing everything that happened, I still think it's bad. It's another expression of this utterly paranoid, intrusive attitude towards how the government treats children. They could have justified doing some investigation, yes. But not at all like they actually did.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12380 on: February 26, 2012, 04:54:14 pm »

If i was a banana, and the president too, would this be a banana republic?

I should release my philosophic works.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12381 on: February 26, 2012, 04:55:57 pm »

If i was a banana, and the president too, would this be a banana republic?

I should release my philosophic works.

The fuck?

Also, I originally heard about this in The Sun, so it was biased. I didn't know that he signed a paper allowing them to search his home.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12382 on: February 26, 2012, 05:00:47 pm »

Also, I originally heard about this in The Sun, so it was biased. I didn't know that he signed a paper allowing them to search his home.
Well yeah, but... it said that in one of the articles you linked.  Don't you read articles before you post them :P?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12383 on: February 26, 2012, 05:01:32 pm »

According to the article she drew a picture of her father holding a gun and said
“That’s my daddy’s. He uses it to shoot bad guys and monsters.”
Which to be honest does sound kindof concerning.
Not really: having the father (or father figure) being shown as a protector and vanquisher of evil is pretty normal, for a child of either sex.

Yes, kids have very active imaginations. However, kids also express their fucked-up home/family situations through that imagination often enough that you can't just dismiss everything out of hand.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, even for kids. Likewise, even if you psychoanalyze the drawing, there's nothing implying that she has a "fucked-up home situation."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12384 on: February 26, 2012, 05:04:42 pm »

Well yeah, but if under questioning she says that yes, her dad has a gun which she could have access to... then you'd be concerned, right?  Sure, she could be mistaken about the fake gun which her father has, but you can't know that until you check in some way.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12385 on: February 26, 2012, 05:07:53 pm »

Well yeah, but... it said that in one of the articles you linked.  Don't you read articles before you post them :P?

I'm a terrible person; I read it in the Sun, then googled up a couple others sources but didn't read them all.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12386 on: February 26, 2012, 05:09:06 pm »

Well yeah, but if under questioning she says that yes, her dad has a gun which she could have access to... then you'd be concerned, right?  Sure, she could be mistaken about the fake gun which her father has, but you can't know that until you check in some way.

HEY GAIS LOOK I FINDED THIS PICTURE

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CALL TEH CANADAEEN POLEECE

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12387 on: February 26, 2012, 05:10:53 pm »

No. There's no reasonable suspicion that the child could have access to a gun--there's barely enough reasonable suspicion to believe a gun even exists in the home in the first place.

Even if you did decide to check, why wouldn't a simple phone call suffice?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12388 on: February 26, 2012, 05:17:22 pm »

So if a child saying that she has access to the gun isn't enough for reasonable suspicion, what is?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: February 26, 2012, 05:19:55 pm »

Something other than the (probably guided) testimony of a four year old, I imagine.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 852