Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856857 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12000 on: February 22, 2012, 03:45:54 pm »

Little parasites have no way to coerce you to kill them. Thus non equivalence.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12001 on: February 22, 2012, 03:49:21 pm »

A sale would be a mutually consenting thing. How does buying an organ infringe on a person's autonomy if it was a voluntary exchange? Who is being harmed in this situation? How would accepting a donated kidney differ?

Because one makes the poor into organ farms from the rich, while the other is an altruistic donation. It should be obvious.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: February 22, 2012, 03:50:58 pm »

Right, that is what I meant.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: February 22, 2012, 03:51:22 pm »

I'm saying that being anti-abortion and also thinking that the government can't demand that you give blood, donate your corpse to science (i.e. give away something you aren't even using anymore), donate unnecessary organs, or even force-inoculate you or force you to enter the bone marrow registry or any other forced medical procedure that puts you in danger and protects society is a pretty misogynist position.  If you're for all of the above then I've got to say, you're not someone I want to be in office, but I can understand the position.  What I can't stand is hypocrisy.

Why aren't women's bodies, autonomy, and decisions being protected in the same way as other people's?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:52 pm »

Because one makes the poor into organ farms from the rich, while the other is an altruistic donation. It should be obvious.
And I get into trouble with slippery slope arguments... I mean, organ farms?  Really?  Maybe once in a while, but you're reaching into the realm of raising people to provide organs for other people kind of reaching.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #12005 on: February 22, 2012, 03:56:21 pm »

Technically, you are the property of the government, and are only leasing your body from them.

That's why they can draft people into the military.

Licensed not Sold, like DRM'd software.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #12006 on: February 22, 2012, 03:58:10 pm »

I loooove watching rightwing people discuss rights. It's seriously hilarious.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: February 22, 2012, 04:00:52 pm »

It's not a slippery slope argument, it's a simple fact. Making organ sales legal would result in the desperate and destitute doing just that in order to get a temporary reprieve of whatever abusive mortgage plan they're trapped in. It's bad enough that many students have to get  frighteningly high loans in order to have a chance -a chance- of coursing their studies and improving their lot in life. Are you seriously arguing that it'd be a good thing if future generatios should pawn off their vital organs as well? Really, this whole line of argument is bizarre.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:44 pm »

Organ farms are a bit slippery slope.

But I could easily see people in debt being forced (illegally), to "sell" their organs to those they owe money too and other similar things taking place.
It's not a slippery slope argument, it's a simple fact. Making organ sales legal would result in the desperate and destitute doing just that in order to get a temporary reprieve of whatever abusive mortgage plan they're trapped in. It's bad enough that many students have to get  frighteningly high loans in order to have a chance -a chance- of coursing their studies and improving their lot in life. Are you seriously arguing that it'd be a good thing if future generatios should pawn off their vital organs as well? Really, this whole line of argument is bizarre.
Yeah, but a organ farm would be raising people for the sole purpose of harvesting their organs.
While that your saying would be horrible, it wouldn't be organ farming.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: February 22, 2012, 04:07:47 pm »

I could certainly see a future in which, absent declaring bankruptcy protection, your organs would be considered part of the assets that can be liquidated to pay creditors. Up to a non-lethal point. After all, you don't actually need both lungs or both kidneys to survive.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: February 22, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »

But I could easily see people in debt being forced (illegally), to "sell" their organs to those they owe money too and other similar things taking place.

No, the problem is that this policy would lead to them legally taking that path in order to repay their debts. The whole concept is bizarre. Whether it constitutes or not organ farming would depend on your definition of that term. Personally I think it's applicable to a set of policies that create a desperate underclass  on which you can rely to provide organs to the elite.

I could certainly see a future in which, absent declaring bankruptcy protection, your organs would be considered part of the assets that can be liquidated to pay creditors. Up to a non-lethal point. After all, you don't actually need both lungs or both kidneys to survive.
It doesn't even need to get to those points. Imagine that you were out of a job, the bank was about to take your house, and you can barely scrape enough to feed your children. There would be quite a bit of pressure on you to get some cash fast, even if it would only grant a temporary reprieve, don't you think? Maybe enough to make you consider doing things that you would not otherwise?

I'm not describing an extreme situation, either. Thousands of people are losing their income and homes everyday. The desperation is already there. All it takes is a policy that allows you to channel it into whatever abusive goal you have in mind.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:16:28 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: February 22, 2012, 04:15:51 pm »

That's pretty far from organ farming... and I don't have a problem with increasing the donor organ pool (which is already lean) if you can and get paid for it.

What you stated (from my reading) is that some rich person will bankrupt you just to get your organs.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12012 on: February 22, 2012, 04:16:37 pm »

From a rich person's perspective, the poor would be an organ farm.  It's not that they would raise specific people for that express purpose.  It's that there would always be someone desperate enough.  A rich person could, at any time, go "Oh, I think it's time to replace this liver.  Let's put an ad out.", and someone would answer.  This is a situation that would exist because of wealth inequality that is intentionally perpetuated by the wealthy, because their position in society enables them to hoard wealth from the lower classes.  The upper classes already feed on the misery of the lower classes.  In this situation it would just be that much more literal.

Now you could make an argument that the poor individual who wants to do this, because it alleviates their risk of starving for the next few months, should have the right to do so.  It's their body, and they're doing what they honestly think is most beneficial for them.

It's much harder to make an argument that the overall situation is fair or just or anything other than morally horrendous and despicable... but the harsh realities of that situation are with us today, whether it includes a person's right to sell their organs or not.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12013 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:18 pm »

Well, that would be a society where you have no ownership over your body, as any commerce related to your body, if treated as private property would need to be voluntary. Involuntary expropriation of private property is more of a left-wing dictatorship thing, that would treat an individual's body as something that belonged to the greater community, or anybody else besides one's self.

Ok, so you are saying people's right to self-ownership stops when there is some perceived societal harm caused by exercising it so a certain point? Or is the idea that self-ownership actually victimizes the individual exercising it?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: February 22, 2012, 04:24:40 pm »

Ok, so you are saying people's right to self-ownership stops when there is some perceived societal harm caused by exercising it so a certain point? Or is the idea that self-ownership actually victimizes the individual exercising it?
I'd say it's both, but let him respond.
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 852