Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856807 times)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11970 on: February 22, 2012, 08:30:04 am »

So, I want to probe the seriousness of political correctness here.

Where I'm from, people call ravens 'dumpster chickens' as they are large, scavenging birds and whatnot. The traditional religion with some of the Alaskan Natives teaches that ravens are reincarnated ancestors and should be treated with respect as such.

So, is 'dumpster chicken' calling an animal by an unflattering slang term an unacceptible offensive racist pejorative term because some people might potentially find it offensive?

Should we include laws and restrictions governing what animals, geographical features and whatever else and insist any labelling of them be politically correct as well?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11971 on: February 22, 2012, 08:43:44 am »

No, but if someone explains they have a problem with our use of the word, we should make an effort not to use it around them - nothing more, nothing less.

(And that obviously shouldn't be required legally, something NO ONE here has supported - it's just the non-dick move. We all have the freedom to make dick moves, but that doesn't mean they aren't dick moves. And in this, it''s not really terrible as far as dick moves go even)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11972 on: February 22, 2012, 08:54:32 am »

I doubt anyone would advocate laws for anything falling under "political correctness," barring what can be shown on TV/etc (which, by the way, I'm against the censorship of).

For your particular example, of course it's not racist, but certainly could be offensive. You're not insulting them through ethnicity, but religion. It'd be like going to India and eating a hamburger.

I am assuming they care about ravens that much; beats me if they actually do.

In terms of "seriousness," the majority of political correctness (for word choice, anyway) is aimed at stopping people from being insensitive jerks. You don't make laws stopping people from being douchebags (well not often anyway), so it's not that level of "serious." Not like anti-discrimination laws, which aim to stop people from doing more heinous stuff than say mean things.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11973 on: February 22, 2012, 09:15:36 am »

So, I want to probe the seriousness of political correctness here.

Where I'm from, people call ravens 'dumpster chickens' as they are large, scavenging birds and whatnot. The traditional religion with some of the Alaskan Natives teaches that ravens are reincarnated ancestors and should be treated with respect as such.

So, is 'dumpster chicken' calling an animal by an unflattering slang term an unacceptible offensive racist pejorative term because some people might potentially find it offensive?

Should we include laws and restrictions governing what animals, geographical features and whatever else and insist any labelling of them be politically correct as well?

Thank you for at least phrasing your ridiculous, condescending straw-man argument in the form of a question.

However: I would say that it's probably insensitive to call an animal by a pejorative name around people who strongly believe that those animals are reincarnated ancestors or what-have-you. That doesn't mean that, in a general sense, calling ravens "dumpster chickens" is at all racially or religiously offensive. It depends on context.

And no, nobody is going to try arguing for legislation to prevent ever saying anything that someone, somewhere, might hypothetically find offensive. That is absurd, and if you think anyone here was ever arguing anything even remotely similar to that, then a severe amount of misinterpretation has been going on.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11974 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:20 am »

http://edge.org/conversation/adventures_behavioral_neurology

Basic gist: Some people want to have their limbs removed. This is often because the limb they want removed is, quite literally, missing from some part of their brain map. Somehow, really early on, something went wrong.

This idea - that your brainmap vision doesn't match your physical body - should probably be familiar the trans people reading this thread. It is further evidence that the literal physical and functional structure of the brain can create a strong brain/body mismatch - that it is physiological, not psychological, and that any one of us, if that part of our brain was tweaked, would feel the same way.

What should we do about it, though? Should we amputate the arm, as the patient desires? Attempt, somehow, to fix the brain instead?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11975 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:49 am »

Certainly at our current technology level we should amputate.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11976 on: February 22, 2012, 10:19:49 am »

Mind you, plenty of other interesting stuff in that article too. It's really great.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11977 on: February 22, 2012, 10:20:22 am »

This idea - that your brainmap vision doesn't match your physical body - should probably be familiar the trans people reading this thread. It is further evidence that the literal physical and functional structure of the brain can create a strong brain/body mismatch - that it is physiological, not psychological, and that any one of us, if that part of our brain was tweaked, would feel the same way.

It's even more plausible when it comes to sexual organs, too, as those are actually differentiated between us. It's easier to see how a differentiation process can go wrong than to see an entire limb (which we all share) missing from the neural map (or whatever you want to call it), yet obviously the latter happens, so people should at least find the former plausible as well.

What should we do about it, though? Should we amputate the arm, as the patient desires? Attempt, somehow, to fix the brain instead?

If amputation will significantly improve the quality of their life, I think that's what should be done. Certainly, fixing the brain would be nice, but it's not as if we can at this point.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11978 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:42 pm »

If amputation will significantly improve the quality of their life, I think that's what should be done. Certainly, fixing the brain would be nice, but it's not as if we can at this point.

They might not even want their brain to be "fixed" if it could be.  It makes things kind of interesting when someone WANTS something that most other people feel is a disability.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:28:33 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11979 on: February 22, 2012, 02:42:53 pm »

The GOP is not crazy.

This should be like required reading or something.  Seriously.

Gamers, harassment, female Bioware writer, entitlement, etc.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11980 on: February 22, 2012, 02:45:13 pm »

There are people that intentionally want to be infected with AIDS. "bug chasers" I'm not sure how ethical this behavior is, when so many people are working to stop the spread of the disease.

In this amputation case, I'm not sure how ethical it is to accommodate somebody who wants a nominally functional limb amputated. Would they be happier with a prosthetic when they feel their natural arm is basically a foreign object to them anyways?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11981 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

"Bug chasing" is because you're so tired of the weight of AIDS hanging over your head that you just want the constant fear of catching it to be over with.  It's entirely unrelated to the amputee problem, and will probably disappear as the disease itself begins to vanish.

AIDS is a pretty recent thing, you know.  I don't expect this to last a super-long time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11982 on: February 22, 2012, 02:54:03 pm »

That sounds like an anxiety disorder, and thus it would be unethical to allow them to "bug chase."

@The GOP is not crazy: riiiiiiiight, because every anti-abortion believer out there is a sexist pig who believes women should only be making babies and acting as eye candy. Pfff.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11983 on: February 22, 2012, 02:55:33 pm »

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reasons-humans-will-never-understand-each-other/
/love

From an article linked to by that one...

Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_18821_5-examples-americans-thinking-foreign-people-are-magic.html#ixzz1n8ssNdFW

"But bring the superstition from a foreign culture, and suddenly you are in business. You can apparently still convince a shockingly large portion of the population that you can see the future if you're doing it with Tarot cards. They come from the gypsies after all. Of course, these same people would slap you if you offered to tell their fortune from a standard card deck."

:P
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11984 on: February 22, 2012, 03:00:37 pm »

"Bug chasing" is because you're so tired of the weight of AIDS hanging over your head that you just want the constant fear of catching it to be over with.  It's entirely unrelated to the amputee problem, and will probably disappear as the disease itself begins to vanish.

AIDS is a pretty recent thing, you know.  I don't expect this to last a super-long time.

The motives are different, but the consequences are similar. Catching a fatal (or at least expensive) disease or having an arm amputated are things most would strive to avoid. Yet some people are desperately trying to do just that.

It's a medical ethnics problem, at least. Is it ethical to allow or abide a patient that wants to do harm to themselves, regardless of the patient's reasoning for it?
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 852