Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857971 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11460 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:30 pm »

Of course, 50 years ago these were the same people advocating sterilizing the poor. Till they realized that the poor make a great service labor force. Middle-class people don't cut your lawn or clean your toilets for cheap.

Well that explains why that kid wanted 5 bucks instead of a nickel :P

Labor is always available just depends where you are at, fuck i would be glad if i had a job, is just always the issue of money we always want more. I mean what is the average cost of living these days now?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11461 on: February 16, 2012, 02:18:48 pm »

This one is for you Truean:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bunch-young-lawyers-suing-law-195616601.html

A group of unemployed Brooklyn Law School graduates are suing their alma mater for fraud and negligence in grossly misrepresenting employment rates and salary prospects.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11462 on: February 16, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »

A group of unemployed Brooklyn Law School graduates are suing their alma mater for fraud and negligence in grossly misrepresenting employment rates and salary prospects.
Hah. My grad school did the same thing. Our program director boasted a 100% placement rate within a year of graduation (which sounded awesome). Only later did I find out that it didn't mean IR jobs, just any job. A part-time job at a mall kiosk which the student got without any assistance from the university would count.

As it was, I STILL blew that metric, because it was 16 months before I landed this job. I never did check to see if she was still touting that bullshit metric to incoming classes.

Never occurred to me to sue for false advertising. Guess I'm just so used to people being utterly full of bullshit that I wouldn't expect any jury to side with me.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11463 on: February 16, 2012, 03:17:12 pm »

Y'know, I'm not entirely sure what I want the outcome to be there. On the one hand, if there was no indication of the inflation of those figures, or if otherwise it was clearly designed to be misleading, the school really does need to change it. On the other, if this was a case of simply failing to do the research (IE if the school had sources for those numbers that were publicly accessible and listed on the same page), then I guess it's merely kind of unscrupulous marketing on the school's part but also the sort of thing I'd expect a lawyer to check before using a piece of information to determine how to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. Need moar details. Though I'm guessing the former students are in the right here, since I've never seen any sources for placement statistics in anything I've encountered said statistics in, or any other evidence than "Because we say so".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11464 on: February 16, 2012, 03:21:07 pm »

So hey, here's a disgusting quotation about someone involved with Rick Santorum's campaign and contraception.

There's something about some state somewhere banning IUD's and some other state pushed through a "personhood" piece of legislation giving a blastocyst the same rights as a person, but I can't be assed to go look it up right now.  I am... pretty pissed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11465 on: February 16, 2012, 03:23:38 pm »

If I were the judge, then they would win this law suit. The law schools lied and I still have my lying brochure saying "90% of our graduates make $120,000 9 months after graduation." It's glossy and probably constitutes consumer fraud in Ohio.... This was never true. Literally one person in my class makes this much at Jones Day. That's it.

None of you should ever go to American Law Schools, ever. Should you decide to, you will thank me politely for the favor of shattering all your naive starry eyed dreams until you come to your senses. They are places where worthless theoretical busy work is done. You are to message me before you consider this life ruining choice. Here is the site where you can actually get the truth: http://abovethelaw.com/ They will not teach you how to be a lawyer, they will teach you how to please incompetent professors, whom I have beaten the living dogshit out of in open court, because they know nothing.... In fact, many of them aren't even licensed to practice law in the state they teach in and they don't have to be.

The legal profession in this country is collapsing and the people in charge are too stupid to notice. Scalia is the biggest moron of them all and should retire because he is so out of touch with the world it's not funny.  There is no work for young lawyers, but he tells them not to work too hard? I have new graduates begging me for anything, but I can't really help them. Nor can my boss. There are no jobs.... The market isn't that bad, it's worse but Scalia is too dumb to notice/doesn't want to notice. His head is even more firmly up his ass than usual.

There is no future for a young person in law. No fortune, no fame, just fall. In addition to the fraud, those law firms which stood for 100 years without ever really firing anyone, are now firing partners. There was never any basis to the law schools' fraudulent claims, but now they can't hide it because the market sucks that bad.... You're telling me an entire school full of lawyers didn't know better? Just let the morons in marketing run buck wild huh? Then of course, let's say you get a job, do it well, and somehow get clients. Good luck actually getting paid what you're owed/worth.

If you're a new graduate, then you're only possibly going to get entry level jobs at firms. Odds are, you do not know enough to go it alone. Ask yourself if you've ever even heard the word "garnishment" in your classes. No? How about CSR (court supervised release aka bail). You're fucked. Concerning a firm job, the problem is, firms have fired thousands of attorneys who have years of experience on you. Your resume will not hold up to theirs. Thankfully I had tons of clerking experience back when I graduated law school, which means I actually knew my head from my ass. Think, who are they going to hire, the new kid fresh out of law school or the guy with 5 years experience from that other firm.... Yeah... This was never a problem in the legal profession before....

See, schools and colleges have been lying like hell for years. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505266_162-57369462/sat-score-scandal-raises-concerns-over-rankings/ As long as they get to show their bosses pretty numbers, then everything is rosy for them. Doesn't matter that the numbers are all bullshit. That's a problem for some other time. Hopefully this is some other time and someone will forcibly pull heads out of asses and this crap will stop.

The problem with these lawsuits is that they were until recently considered career suicide, but I guess if you can't have a career anyhow, then what've you got to lose?

Your first wasted year of law school: roughly....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:35:23 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11466 on: February 16, 2012, 03:35:38 pm »

So hey, here's a disgusting quotation about someone involved with Rick Santorum's campaign and contraception.

There's something about some state somewhere banning IUD's and some other state pushed through a "personhood" piece of legislation giving a blastocyst the same rights as a person, but I can't be assed to go look it up right now.  I am... pretty pissed.

We were discussing the same quote over on Aqizzar's election thread. Like I said over there, my response would be, "I'm teaching my daughter that the easiest and cheapest form of birth control is a cigar cutter."

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11467 on: February 16, 2012, 03:39:26 pm »

Knowing my family history, that wouldn't help. We little folk tend to be...physically oriented. Sure, they may not be cheap, but if she needs protection, I'd rather she come to me for condoms and/or birth control pills than just not use anything.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11468 on: February 16, 2012, 03:42:06 pm »

It's not like they can actually do it. The Supreme Court ruled back in 1970 that all Americans had a right to access birth control.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11469 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »

Well, I guess I'm glad I didn't go into law. I would have gotten a worthless degree there too.

College education doesn't really seem to be working out for anybody anymore, does it? Well, besides the student lenders and the colleges themselves, I mean.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11470 on: February 16, 2012, 03:48:12 pm »

I'm starting to wonder if even trying for a medical degree is worth it. >->
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11471 on: February 16, 2012, 03:50:19 pm »

Medical Degree is one of the few that still seems to be. Though its still a long, hard road.

Also, Truean, he's absolutely right! You DO need to work less - by working so hard and so long, you're stealing all the opportunities from the other lawyers!

Mind you, you'll be fired if you followed his advice, but if EVERYONE did, we'd probably all be a lot better off.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:55:07 pm by GlyphGryph »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11472 on: February 16, 2012, 03:51:50 pm »

It's not like they can actually do it. The Supreme Court ruled back in 1970 that all Americans had a right to access birth control.
They're not talking about banning birth control, they're talking about not allowing any insurance plan pay for it, especially plans that are paid for by religious organizations (which is what touched off this latest skirmish in the Culture Wars).

But then, once they get that, then will come the "We need to regulate birth control so only people who *should* be having sex can get it."
Then "Well, any good Christian should only be having sex in the context of a lawful marriage, and any children produced are gifts from God and trying to prevent that is blasphemous."

It doesn't end until we find ourselves having a Boston Condom party and raising the flag of sexy revolt.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11473 on: February 16, 2012, 03:54:25 pm »

They're not talking about banning birth control, they're talking about not allowing any insurance plan pay for it, especially plans that are paid for by religious organizations (which is what touched off this latest skirmish in the Culture Wars).
I would argue that making it prohibitively expensive to buy birth control counts as denying your right to access it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11474 on: February 16, 2012, 03:54:47 pm »

I'm starting to wonder if even trying for a medical degree is worth it. >->
If i were you, get it but please dedicate your life to helping people as your oath stands, fuck what your employer says, your duty is to save peoples lives.
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 852