Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857966 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11430 on: February 16, 2012, 01:12:44 am »

-Was replying to something that wasn't directed at me, shutting up, I'm tired.-
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:14:31 am by Powder Miner »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11431 on: February 16, 2012, 01:14:47 am »

Well thats the case but you still don't have to follow the orders, technically Nixon didn't have to turn in his tapes (yes i realize it would screw him over). Im just pointing out something from what i read in the constitution, all supreme court rulings are all done in goodwill (well done cause of the reasons Truean brought up)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11432 on: February 16, 2012, 01:40:10 am »

Iowa attempts total ban of abortion.

You know, I just realized that I don't really understand what the philosophical justification Christians are drawing from in their crusade to outlaw abortion. Does the bible mention something about a zygote, embryo or fetus being considered a full-fledged human being? Life begins at conception? I hear that latter term a lot but I don't belief it's in the Bible, is it? Does it just contradict the "be fruitful and multiply" guidance? Do they want to ban it just because it's an icky medical procedure to think about?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11433 on: February 16, 2012, 01:42:27 am »

I'm not sure how it is hard to understand the prospective at least. I mean, the idea is that these things have souls, and thus killing them is wrong. You don't need a bible to tell you killing things with souls is wrong and you don't even need a bible to know that these things have souls. You just need belief. I don't understand the idea that that is hard to understand.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11434 on: February 16, 2012, 01:42:51 am »

You know, I just realized that I don't really understand what the philosophical justification Christians are drawing from in their crusade to outlaw abortion. Does the bible mention something about a zygote, embryo or fetus being considered a full-fledged human being? Life begins at conception? I hear that latter term a lot but I don't belief it's in the Bible, is it? Does it just contradict the "be fruitful and multiply" guidance? Do they want to ban it just because it's an icky medical procedure to think about?

The "populate like the stars" part

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11435 on: February 16, 2012, 01:47:01 am »

I hate PETA so much. Trigger warning for sexual violence.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11436 on: February 16, 2012, 01:49:36 am »

Wow.

I'm almost speechless.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11437 on: February 16, 2012, 02:00:23 am »

I'm not sure how it is hard to understand the prospective at least. I mean, the idea is that these things have souls, and thus killing them is wrong. You don't need a bible to tell you killing things with souls is wrong and you don't even need a bible to know that these things have souls. You just need belief. I don't understand the idea that that is hard to understand.

Although it still hinges on if there is a soul generated at the moment of conception or not. Is this about original sin? If an unborn embryo dies before being baptized it goes to hell right? So if an zygote has a soul and there is a miscarriage or abortion it goes to hell before it can be born and, then I can see that being something they'd want to avoid, although it happens naturally.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11438 on: February 16, 2012, 02:01:10 am »

Could you at least respond in complete sentences, or something? It's hard to know what you're talking about when virtually all you say is a single phrase that only gets two google results (one book somebody wrote, and a Yahoo Answers question).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11439 on: February 16, 2012, 02:14:10 am »

I think conceptually it comes from a few directions; yes, the be-fruitful is one. The anti-masturbation thing (Onan, iirc) is also part of it, as that's seen as wasting the seed of life (Nevermind that sperm dies by the millions naturally even without any form of ejaculation); an abortion would be condemned along similar grounds -- and yes, the logical progression of that is that menstruation is a sin (because the woman's not pregnant and is thus wasting a potential life). Which is perfectly in line with the scare-quote "Christian" (note: Jesus, the man of peace, would bitchslap them, yes) outlook of women as little more than baby making machines, yes. Quick E before nap: And yes, yes, most Christians aren't that bad, but both the church and the holy texts are definitely very strongly patriarchal-in-the-negative-sense.

The sacredness of life -- which I definitely couldn't quote and likely isn't explicitly stated in the biblical text, but is a long term implicit and sometimes explicit (if oft violated) axiom of christian ethical theory -- taken to the standard of hilarious extreme comes in, too. All life is created by God (Actually is God, really, but that's something else) and is thus sacred and humankind in all its forms is particularly sacred (Remember, even though angels were created by God as well, they must bow to humans). To do anything to prevent the spread of that ultimate good can be seen as sin.

Although it still hinges on if there is a soul generated at the moment of conception or not. Is this about original sin? If an unborn embryo dies before being baptized it goes to hell right? So if an zygote has a soul and there is a miscarriage or abortion it goes to hell before it can be born and, then I can see that being something they'd want to avoid, although it happens naturally.
Yeah, original sin isn't really biblical, per se. S'church doctrine, especially catholic, but it's only really there because people still have their head stuck up Augustine's ass (Which, to be fair to Augustine, is a pretty impressive ass. Dude was pretty eloquent.). So can blame Augustine for that, iirc. Either him or Aquinas. Technically the original sin (Of Adam/Eve) was absolved, along with all other sin at the time/in perpetuity by Jesus's sacrifice. Can probably blame hoosface... Dante. Dante, yeah. Divine Comedy dude. For the whole unborn children going to hell thing (First circle, though, which isn't all that bad comparatively.), though he was probably was drawing from something else.

But no, most of it's not directly from biblical text, from what I understand. If there's anything in the bible that specifically states that "Thou shalt not abort thine fetus" I haven't noticed anyone quoting it. If there's anything specific, though, it's probably in the torah/old testament stuff. Might be something in that huge list of Judaic laws I've forgotten the name of.

Nah, that's pretty easy to understand, but a helluva lot harder to actually accept; you don't need a reason, you just need belief. "And should believe... why, exactly?" That's the response. The concept of soul isn't exactly axiomatic to all belief systems or individuals, after all~

Mont was also asking for philosophical justification, which that isn't, heh :P "Just 'cuz" gets you (in the general sense, not you specifically, cript) hit with the unjustified hammer of great justice in philosophical discussions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:34:33 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11440 on: February 16, 2012, 02:15:16 am »

I've never been presented with this angle before.  Still, I would think that a Christian should manifest some concern if they honestly believe that someone they know is going to suffer for eternity in the afterlife.

It's a big can of worms to open, but I'll just say that "Everyone who's not a Christian will suffer for eternity in the afterlife" doesn't remotely resemble anything Jesus taught.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11441 on: February 16, 2012, 02:22:21 am »

What about that whole "The only way to God/Heaven is through me." thing?

Or is that church doctrine and not actually in that lovely book?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11442 on: February 16, 2012, 02:35:43 am »

-snip-

Well, that is an explanation of sorts, thanks. I can understand the concept of the sanctity of human life, but I don't think a clump of cells qualifies. A clump of cells is potential life, certainly. I'm still not sure about the philosophical concept of 'potential life' and how denying it's potential is a sort of evil. It seems like you could very well be saving that soul from the fires of hell by halting it's formation.

I suppose the other ideas and probably that idea as well, are based on theological thought not directly derived from the Bible, but rather something sort of generated and thought of as being compatible with with it. Church or denominational doctrine. In this case, the Catholic outlook of scrutinizing and finding technicalities for everything. I had no idea the 'all miscarriages go to hell' concept was from Dante. I figured Dante's Inferno was 'just a book' and the idea itself was another derived Catholic technicality.
Come to think of it, the philosophical outlook of human life being sacred seems to manifest itself most in Catholicism. They seem to have the most stringent rules against reproduction juices and whatnot.

So I imagine there are Christian outlooks that don't rule out abortion, well, besides Unitarians? What would their rationale be for that? Just that the Bible doesn't explicitly exclude it, we must be free to do it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:47:10 am by Montague »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11443 on: February 16, 2012, 02:38:30 am »

Could you at least respond in complete sentences, or something? It's hard to know what you're talking about when virtually all you say is a single phrase that only gets two google results (one book somebody wrote, and a Yahoo Answers question).
G-flex if you can't understand it, ask or shut up about it. Sorry if i like to break google once in a while.

My "single phrase" mentions when Abraham is talking with god before his son Issac is born and god is telling him his children will number like the stars.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11444 on: February 16, 2012, 02:42:27 am »

Er, what does that have to do with life beginning at conception, though?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 852