Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858224 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11415 on: February 15, 2012, 11:41:01 pm »

I still hold that a Christian that doesn't try to convert people to save them from going to hell is probably a horrible person, but one who uses their excuses their religion to condemn homosexuality is an equally horrible person, acting completely outside of their moral imperative through stupidity, irresponsibility, or plain maliciousness.
As for the first part... I mean, color me wrong, but isn't the entire point of Christianity not to covert people, but to "walk with God"? Conversion is supposed to be a natural consequence of that; as you walk with God through adversity and through expressions of great mercy and kindness, people come to you and ask from whence this strength and kindness comes from and you share the message.

You don't go out on the street corner or up to people's houses and preach the word, the word is preached through your actions. Anything else is bad faith and contrary to the path of righteousness. The true point of Christianity, in its best expression, is not salvation but a relationship with God. Salvation is a consequence of that, yes, but if you seek salvation instead of to walk with God, you damn yourself. Similarly, trying to save people from hell is, again, basically anathema -- you're preaching selfishness, not righteousness. A conversion of that nature is as quick a path to hell as lack of belief or heresy.

Iowa attempts total ban of abortion.
Hey, hey, if that goes through, can the loved ones of people who die because they can't get an abortion in life-threaten situations charge the Iowa government for murder?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11416 on: February 15, 2012, 11:41:14 pm »

It's like the right-wing doesn't even pay attention to federal judiciary rulings anymore.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11417 on: February 15, 2012, 11:45:07 pm »

Ah, but the thing is they're not irrational (well maybe but not required to be). Trolls they are not either, unless they're insulting you satirically. To be irrational means you have to embrace a non-sequitur, not just a premise you don't agree with. If their premises and conclusions line up, they're acting 100% logically.
I don't think this is true.  If you start at false premises out of nowhere then you are acting irrationally.  Yes, everyone has some premises.  But some premises can be consistently tested for consistency and are vital to function as a human being at all and others just come out of nowhere and are thus irrational.

People's ability to critically analyze their own premises, plus their culturally reinforced predilection to do so are both highly variable.  Thus it is not unreasonable to conclude that a person acting on false premises is not necessarily acting irrationally, but simply hasn't recognized the falsity of their premises.

For instance, if I start at the premise "gays are evil" then it naturally follows that "gays are evil" and you can't find any contradictions in my viewpoint.

This isn't a logical premise so much as a direct, subjective value statement.  A person cannot maintain such a statement without (even horribly executed) logical (even false) premises or psychological motivations not founded in logic at all.  These issues can be critically dissected in a dialogue.

Alternatively, in cases where there are clear contradictions, the person can just make up further premises to get rid of those contradictions (see: reactions to anyone pointing out contradictions in the Bible).

Of course, if a person is unwilling to participate in honest dialogue with a person who claims to be harmed by their behavior, then they ARE wrong, and nothing more needs to be said about that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11418 on: February 15, 2012, 11:50:59 pm »

I'm getting tired of your guys over stepping your bounds, you know that. Yes you, US of A. We have a legal system, GTFO.
Man charged for manslaughter over here in Australia, did his time, going back to US to face murder charges over the same death.

It is called double jeopardy, I thought we had an agreement on this!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11419 on: February 15, 2012, 11:56:51 pm »

I'm getting tired of your guys over stepping your bounds, you know that. Yes you, US of A. We have a legal system, GTFO.
Man charged for manslaughter over here in Australia, did his time, going back to US to face murder charges over the same death.

It is called double jeopardy, I thought we had an agreement on this!
Technically, our current agreement is on extraditing criminals. Double jeopardy only traditionally applies to trials that take place under US jurisdiction (as to prevent sending someone to trial over and over until you get an unsympathetic jury), although that could be a very good argument for them to use in the trial.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11420 on: February 15, 2012, 11:59:36 pm »

As for the first part... I mean, color me wrong, but isn't the entire point of Christianity not to covert people, but to "walk with God"? Conversion is supposed to be a natural consequence of that; as you walk with God through adversity and through expressions of great mercy and kindness, people come to you and ask from whence this strength and kindness comes from and you share the message.

You don't go out on the street corner or up to people's houses and preach the word, the word is preached through your actions. Anything else is bad faith and contrary to the path of righteousness. The true point of Christianity, in its best expression, is not salvation but a relationship with God. Salvation is a consequence of that, yes, but if you seek salvation instead of to walk with God, you damn yourself. Similarly, trying to save people from hell is, again, basically anathema -- you're preaching selfishness, not righteousness. A conversion of that nature is as quick a path to hell as lack of belief or heresy.

I've never been presented with this angle before.  Still, I would think that a Christian should manifest some concern if they honestly believe that someone they know is going to suffer for eternity in the afterlife.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11421 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:06 am »

Yes, that's the way I've always understood religion.

*shrug*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11422 on: February 16, 2012, 12:07:32 am »

SalmonGod: Yeah, I'd probably agree with most of that.  Except I'd still think you can have a perfectly plausible set of beliefs, without logical contradiction, that come to the conclusion "gays are evil" if you're allowed to set faulty premises.

Similarly, trying to save people from hell is, again, basically anathema -- you're preaching selfishness, not righteousness. A conversion of that nature is as quick a path to hell as lack of belief or heresy.
Isn't the other way you suggested equally based on selfishness though?  Other people see how cool you are and want to be equally cool.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11423 on: February 16, 2012, 12:09:32 am »

No, they see that you're good and realize that they should also be good.

It's no longer about superficialities and appearances.  It's about what you are, your ownmost.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11424 on: February 16, 2012, 12:55:53 am »

It's like the right-wing doesn't even pay attention to federal judiciary rulings anymore.
Well i hate to break it to yea, but they don't have to listen to the supreme court.

The most powerful court in the united states, with nothing to enforce it ::)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11425 on: February 16, 2012, 01:01:14 am »

Well i hate to break it to yea, but they don't have to listen to the supreme court.

They kind of do. People always say that the Supreme Court has no enforcing power, but that isn't true. Judicial president is a vital aspect of the court system, and one which is strong enough to overturn laws which disagree with it easily.

So they do in fact have to listen to the Supreme Court, or all of their lawmaking attempts will be shot down by judges even if they do pass.
No Gods, No Masters.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11426 on: February 16, 2012, 01:03:04 am »

(OOC: Sorry if I sound preachy or something here buuuuuut)
Hey hey hey it's not a path to hell at all man! It's stated in the Bible (don't know where) how God would risk losing several Christians to save one sinner. It's in a few of Jesus's parables.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11427 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:28 am »

PPE: It's not only the right-wing that doesn't listen to the Supreme Court...
It usually is, though. The majority of these cases disregarding Supreme Court rulings are Roe v. Wade challenges.
No Gods, No Masters.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11428 on: February 16, 2012, 01:05:41 am »

Eh. I ripped that out of my post  because I decided I don't want to get into a heavy-duty online political discussion right now.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11429 on: February 16, 2012, 01:07:07 am »

They kind of do. People always say that the Supreme Court has no enforcing power, but that isn't true. Judicial president is a vital aspect of the court system, and one which is strong enough to overturn laws which disagree with it easily.

So they do in fact have to listen to the Supreme Court, or all of their lawmaking attempts will be shot down by judges even if they do pass.
Let me explain how this works:

Legislature: "Fuck you Supreme Court; we don't have to listen to you."
Judiciary: "You know how there have to be trials or court orders for your laws to have any effect...? Do you want there to be none of those? Or, should we pretend to hide it by just ... letting everyone go? You know, us not listening to you...?" :D

The government and the legislature particularly need the courts more than anyone else. Otherwise what they do seems completely illegitimate. Yeah....

As applies to you, Truean.

1.  The asshats who plague your existence are not making honest use of their genuine belief in your case.  If they are, then they haven't thought through their beliefs very well, which is itself a moral failing on their part, and in which case it's more accurate to say that you are a victim of their stupidity.  More likely, they are abusing supposed beliefs as a shallow excuse to project their own insecurities and/or attack an idea that they simply find unappealing.  In short, they are not trying to save you.
Most do believe it, and my family honestly does. They think all gays are child molesters and far worse. O there might be some ulterior motive in there too, but they believe it entirely.

As for your second point, I've found it's active malice on their part, which they justify in various ways.
When you live a life of oppression and suffering for no reason while being told it is your fault, you come out of it in one of two ways. You become either a saint or a terrible person. Guess which I am.

Alrighty. Not everyone has conditional empathy, though. Do understand that.
Understood long ago; never, ever cared about.

Why do you think atheists/etc quote the bible when arguing with these people?... In any real debate between two parties, that doesn't work. 

Dunno about others. I do it for my own gratification. It's funny that I know the bible better than 90% of people who don't like me because of it. It isn't a real debate and never can be, so I'm not giving them the pleasure/unearned privilege of one.

I only bring this up since you seem to be trying to make logical arguments against these people when posting. That's not really necessary when preaching to the choir. Nor does it really work if we look at your arguments from the opposition's perspective. If ya wanna rant, just rant :)

I enjoy arguing. I do it a lot and for a living. [shrugs]. Many people I work with, work for, and work against are completely irrational assholes and terrible. I, on the other hand, consider it natural and somewhat enjoyable. I'm just sharpening my tools. "Winning" was never an objective or thing I expected.

I spent a good portion of my life telling myself this. Was I being irrational? Not really. Self destructive, certainly, but not irrational. To fix it, I just changed my premises; figured out why, deep down, they weren't what I believed. No amount of telling me "you're being stupid" would've fixed it. To change my opinion, I had to reach the new conclusion logically. Any attacking or forcing me to "change" would've only strengthened my resolve.

People like that are of the very few who can be persuaded. The overwhelming majority are irrational assholes. Again, not my job to fix them.

No one has ever said you need to respect other's views. Nor them acting on them. Just their right to have them. And if you ever want to fight their views effectively, you'll have to understand them. Realize why they don't make sense, from the stated premises. Only them will you ever be able to convince any second party (instead of a third party) in an argument.

I do not have to respect anyone's right to have the belief that I am a child molester because I am gay and going to hell for it. Anyone with this view is someone I will smile at for the express purpose of gaining their trust just enough for them to turn around.... I have not, do not and will never respect anyone's right to have this belief.

I always forgive my enemies; they will never see my vengeance coming.

You say you don't care about changing people's opinions. Well then, how will your abuse ever end?
It won't. That's the point. Respecting someone's horrendous bigotry about me will not end it either.

You can't change the world but you can certainly change the immediate world around you. "Save" them in your own way (assuming that's possible; I don't know the people you know). I did suggest fighting tooth and nail in my previous reply, but only because that's an easier, short term solution.

No. Not my duty to change their prejudice ass minds. If they think that all gays are child molesters, then fuck them. If they were choking to death on food in front of me and I had the ability to save their lives, then I wouldn't save them. I have no legal duty and feel no moral obligation to do so. Assuming there was no negative consequence to me or I couldn't use this opportunity as a way to gain their false trust later to screw them over even worse, I would stare directly into their face with a straight look on mine and watch them die. I don't have to "save" them and they don't deserve my efforts after making my life hell.

Let's even assume it was somehow my duty to change their stupid minds. What would that entail? A conversation about how I and other homosexuals are not child molesters? Wow, I should never, ever have to say that/it should be a given....

You wanna end your own personal abuse, you run away or force your abusers to leave you alone. You wanna end this abuse permanently, you're going to have to actually convince someone of something. Yelling at them, telling them they're evil, works exactly as well as them telling you you're evil, and abomination, etc.

These people aren't capable of rationality or reason. On those rare occasions my preferred method of hiding from them doesn't work, I find duress works wonders to stop abuse. I don't care if its right or wrong. Crude but effective. They will never stop thinking I am less than a human being, no matter what I do. I have begged, I have pleaded, I have reasoned with. I have done all of this exceedingly well. All were incredibly ineffective. Sheer terror of what I'll have done back to them, well.... That worked. Civilized, no. Effective, yes.

I don't really WANT this to be the case, but unfortunately it is. I'd love to be able to reason with these people. I'm good at reasoning and its so much easier for me to do. They don't wanna hear it; they just don't care. Something's wrong with us gays.... What?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:21:07 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 852