Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858756 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11131 on: February 12, 2012, 10:05:27 pm »

[This post has been moved here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85981.msg2980743#msg2980743 where a more but not entirely complete consideration of the subject is provided.]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:30:46 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: February 12, 2012, 10:09:00 pm »

B.) Duty to retreat
One of the elements of self-defense is that the defendant did not violate any duty to retreat or avoid the danger.
So does that imply that if somebody breaks into your house, you are obliged to hide in your wardrobe before you take a shot at them?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11133 on: February 12, 2012, 10:09:53 pm »

Defending yourself from what?
Generally home invasion, when you're talking home storage.

As for the options, even given A, why is the small decrease in accidental shootings from implementing B (i.e. restricting owners rights, which it would be if you implemented that in the states) an acceptable solution? You would almost certainly have better results by better educating your firearm owners.

[snip]
Yeah, not sure about the particulars, but from what I understand in Florida, all you need to be legally allowed to respond with lethal force is unlawful entry. It's probably more complicated than that, but we've certainly not had any major news-type things hit that indicate otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:11:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:01 pm »

B.) Duty to retreat
One of the elements of self-defense is that the defendant did not violate any duty to retreat or avoid the danger.
So does that imply that if somebody breaks into your house, you are obliged to hide in your wardrobe before you take a shot at them?
I think it is meant to prevent self-defense from being used in cases in which the defendant did not cause the danger, but knowingly put themselves in harm's way when they could have done otherwise.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: February 12, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »

Generally home invasion, when you're talking home storage.
Oh, so criminals breaking into your house?
Didn't we agree that gun laws don't affect crime, so no point in this argument?

Once could argue that a wardrobe big enough for you to hide in would be a much better investment than a gun.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: February 12, 2012, 10:16:57 pm »

If Ohio has a castle-doctrine style law, that might be entangled in cases of self-defence. Truean'd have to say yay or nay to be sure, though. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11137 on: February 12, 2012, 10:23:46 pm »

Hmm, sorry, can't seem to find that. I did find this though.

Homicides per capita, that is any homicide, not just shootings.

Firstly, I'm noticing that in general, the US is a lot worse than Australia. The big stand out over here is NT, where we have the most relax gun laws. Anybody who knows more about US culture see any patterns for murder per capita and gun restrictions?
The distribution of murders in the US looks like it's heavily influenced by drugs. Most drugs in the US come from Mexico, or are produced in South America and smuggled through Mexico (or they just go up the coast). The big exceptions are generally marijuana and meth, which can both be produced locally. It can still be easier to bribe/evade authorities in Mexico though, so it's not uncommon to see meth produced in Mexico then smuggled across the border. I guess it's probably more difficult and less worth it to go further north...

Wow, that was largely irrelevant wasn't it? I guess I'll shut up now.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: February 12, 2012, 10:25:38 pm »

No that is fine. I'm not sure on any figures for NT in Australia, but if stereotype holds any value, it would have the highest drug usage.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: February 12, 2012, 10:27:53 pm »

Does Russia not have any way of splitting up their areas?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: February 12, 2012, 10:28:05 pm »

Damn post button hit too soon.... Hang on....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:30:00 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: February 12, 2012, 10:29:43 pm »

Does Russia not have any way of splitting up their areas?
You would think that? Seriously, why don't more countries have states?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11142 on: February 12, 2012, 10:30:00 pm »

Didn't we agree that gun laws don't affect crime, so no point in this argument?
I see your strawman, and raise you a stop, s'il vous plais.

You specifically questioned defense; when people have guns for defense in their home, it is generally for defense from home invasion. Most of the folks doing so never use the weapon for such. Some do, quite rarely. It's irrelevant to actual crime rates why people have weapons in their home for defense -- "makes them feel safer" is sufficient, in that case, if they are storing the weapon for defense.

It's also a very strongly reasonable position: Peoples lives have, in reality, been saved and home invasions prevented due to in-house gun storage. That resonates very strongly with gun owners. Yes, it's possible that there may be a statistics-level net malus involved (though quite strongly indicated to be very small, if it exists), but you asked for peoples reasons, not the statistics-level impact.

And yes, I'm entirely aware how that can be taken too far -- there are, in fact, laws against booby trapping a home.

The real question would be this:
As for the options, even given A, why is the small decrease in accidental shootings from implementing B (i.e. restricting owners rights, which it would be if you implemented that in the states) an acceptable solution? You would almost certainly have better results by better educating your firearm owners.

E: Minor apologizes for tone, by the way. Headache, so I'm a bit brusque when I'm vaguely attempting to actually think.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:34:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: February 12, 2012, 10:31:54 pm »

And yes, I'm entirely aware how that can be taken too far -- there are, in fact, laws against booby trapping a home.
Which is good, because there are legitimate reasons to forcefully enter someone's home (injured owner, missing owner, ect.) that would be risky if you could have unmanned traps inside.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: February 12, 2012, 10:39:49 pm »

I see your strawman, and raise you a stop, s'il vous plais.

You specifically questioned defense; when people have guns for defense in their home, it is generally for defense from home invasion. Most of the folks doing so never use the weapon for such. Some do, quite rarely. It's irrelevant to actual crime rates why people have weapons in their home for defense -- "makes them feel safer" is sufficient, in that case, if they are storing the weapon for defense.

It's also a very strongly reasonable position: Peoples lives have, in reality, been saved and home invasions prevented due to in-house gun storage. That resonates very strongly with gun owners. Yes, it's possible that there may be a statistics-level net malus involved (though quite strongly indicated to be very small, if it exists), but you asked for peoples reasons, not the statistics-level impact.

The real question would be this:
Even so, it would show up on rate of crimes. Breaking into somebodies home is a crime, is it not? As such, guns do nothing to deter criminals from breaking into your home.

As for "lives have, in reality, been saved and home invasions prevented due to in-house gun storage", well yes, I'm sure in a few cases they have been. I'm also willing to say that in most of those cases, escaping through your back door into the night to call the police at a neighbours house would have also saved them, without the need for a gun, and in cases where a family member was mistaken for an intruder and shot would far outweigh times when this was impossible.

We have B here in Australia. You aren't allowed to keep a gun loaded, assembled or outside a strongbox. Over here, there isn't even a gun problem, or a break in problem. Neither are an issue. Nobody is pushing for looser gun laws because of home break ins, and we have minimal rate of accidental shootings. The few you will hear about are from people breaking the law when they go out shooting and get drunk.
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 852