Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858636 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11010 on: February 12, 2012, 04:03:47 pm »

Err I'm afraid the likelyhood of being shot and killed, or killed, or the victim of any crime whatsoever is inumerably higher in the USA than the UK, i'll stick to the UK's record I think.
Quote from: wikipedia
According to the Home Office, there were around 880,000 "Violence against the person" crimes in England and Wales in 2008–9, equivalent to 16 per thousand people in England and Wales.
From here.

To match numbers, from here, assuming violent crime is equal to violence against the person, in 2009, the UK crime rare was 160 per 100k, the US crime rate ~429 per 100k. Slightly less than 4x.

Homicide rate in 2000-1 was 5.6 vs 1.4 per 100k, again, about 4x.

Which is to say "innumerable" is about the worst word you could use there. The statistics are pretty direct; you're looking at about a 4x chance of violent crime, which has been steadily trending downward in both countries. Yeah, that's still in UK's favor, but don't overstate the facts of the matter.

In both cases you're considerably less likely to be a victim of a crime than in, say, somewhere like Honduras.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:05:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11011 on: February 12, 2012, 04:04:29 pm »

they might try to take away our tinfoil hats next!

Revolution.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: February 12, 2012, 04:06:48 pm »

Nadaka, most (I think all) European country allow the ownership of hunting rifles/shotguns. Sure, you need a permit, and the regulation are strict, but we're not outlawing hunting.

Gun crime is a thing because it's much more likely to end up in death/serious injuries than other kind of crimes. Sure, you may be safer as an individual if you own a gun, because of deterrence and such. But a society with lots of guns is much more dangerous, because suddenly you have a lot of situation that can degenerate into shooting.

The only reasons you need a gun for self-defense (Instead of a taser or mace or whatever) is because you're aggressor is much more likely to have a gun as well. And that mean a burglary can degenerate into a manslaughter.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: February 12, 2012, 04:08:58 pm »

If someone is trying to rob you then they are accepting the risk that you will shoot them, and are solely responsible for whatever happens to them in the course of their criminal activities.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11014 on: February 12, 2012, 04:10:23 pm »

If someone is trying to rob you then they are accepting the risk that you will shoot them, and are solely responsible for whatever happens to them in the course of their criminal activities.

And if someone is shot, and the only witness is the shooter and they say they were robbed, what then?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: February 12, 2012, 04:11:19 pm »

And if someone is shot, and the only witness is the shooter and they say they were robbed, what then?
The police have investigative branches for a reason.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: February 12, 2012, 04:17:05 pm »

...IIRC most domestic shootings did not, in fact, involve criminals. The "increased security" from owning a gun is less obvious than it might seem.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11017 on: February 12, 2012, 04:19:13 pm »

Nadaka, most (I think all) European country allow the ownership of hunting rifles/shotguns. Sure, you need a permit, and the regulation are strict, but we're not outlawing hunting.

Gun crime is a thing because it's much more likely to end up in death/serious injuries than other kind of crimes. Sure, you may be safer as an individual if you own a gun, because of deterrence and such. But a society with lots of guns is much more dangerous, because suddenly you have a lot of situation that can degenerate into shooting.
More than 90% of gunshot victims survive in the US.
The only reasons you need a gun for self-defense (Instead of a taser or mace or whatever) is because you're aggressor is much more likely to have a gun as well. And that mean a burglary can degenerate into a manslaughter.

This is objectively untrue. You may need a gun for self defense in any case where your attacker has any advantage you can not match. Tazers and mace won't stop everyone, particularly not if you are outnumbered.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: February 12, 2012, 04:20:19 pm »

...IIRC most domestic shootings did not, in fact, involve criminals. The "increased security" from owning a gun is less obvious than it might seem.
How does that work? Doesn't assault or criminal negligence make one a criminal?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: February 12, 2012, 04:23:40 pm »

Probably referring to folks with a criminal record. Alternately, most in-home violence, unsurprisingly, comes from folks living there, not folks breaking in.

There's also accidental shootings, of course. One of the reasons that some people in the states are for stricter controls (so there's a stronger assurance people owning guns actually know what the blazes they're doing.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: February 12, 2012, 04:26:31 pm »

There's also accidental shootings, of course.
Most cases of that fall under criminal negligence, no? Someone has to remove the safety after all. Of course there are exceptions (say, a kid memorizes the code to the safe, takes the gun out to play with it), but most cases of domestic shooting are because someone either left the gun somewhere where kids have easy access to it, or because someone was being tough/fake threatening/masochistic.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: February 12, 2012, 04:26:31 pm »

Your point?

This is objectively untrue. You may need a gun for self defense in any case where your attacker has any advantage you can not match. Tazers and mace won't stop everyone, particularly not if you are outnumbered.

Yes, but a gun only give you an advantage if your aggressor doesn't have one as well.
The problem with unregulated gun ownership is that a lot of bad guys get guns as well.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: February 12, 2012, 04:30:22 pm »

Your point?

Obviously the situation is perfectly fine if most of the victims aren't killed outright.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11023 on: February 12, 2012, 04:30:32 pm »

Having a gun does give you an advantage even if your aggressor has one, simply because it is very obviously dangerous and the attacker must consider if the risk of grievous injury or death is worth whatever he wants from you.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: February 12, 2012, 04:39:23 pm »

Note, i'm an athiest so I prefer to follow the rule of reason above the previous contenders.
Then why do you find it reasonable to take away something because of how a minority of people use it?

I enjoy shooting as a sport.  I don't hunt.  I don't kill people.  I keep my guns locked and secure at all times.  It's a tool, like a car.  More people are killed in auto related incidents per year than guns.  Just because you think that guns are not required to live day to day does not make them any more "nonsense" than knifes, cars, or baseball bats.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 852