Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854454 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10725 on: February 02, 2012, 07:21:36 pm »

Eh, it isn't the first time a group of Christians has tried to apologize for their intolerant brethren. I find it underwhelming, myself, as this idea of "hate the sin, love the sinner" is usually still there. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: February 02, 2012, 07:43:15 pm »

I find it underwhelming, myself, as this idea of "hate the sin, love the sinner" is usually still there.
???

That's one of the tenants of Christianity I really like, heh. The alternative, obviously, is hating people.

Now you can argue it works as an enabler (ex: banning homosexuality is banning the sin not the person) but it's incredibly easy to point out how using it like that is a non-sequitur, as it obviously harms people.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: February 02, 2012, 07:45:28 pm »

That's one of the tenants of Christianity I really like, heh. The alternative, obviously, is hating people.
No, people with that attitude still hate gay people, they're just apologetic about it and try to obscure the point. There's absolutely nothing morally wrong with being gay.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:10 pm »

Alternative two: homosexuality isn't a sin, you shouldn't hate it and you shouldn't hate the people.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: February 02, 2012, 08:08:25 pm »

No, people with that attitude still hate gay people, they're just apologetic about it and try to obscure the point. There's absolutely nothing morally wrong with being gay.

There are Christians who aren't homophobic. I'm not sure how many, but they exist.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: February 02, 2012, 08:42:23 pm »

There are Christians who aren't homophobic. I'm not sure how many, but they exist.
I realize, but I am saying that I saw the pictures of these particular "we're sorry for how the church has treated you" guys last time they waved their signs (about a year ago, I think) and they were definitely of the "hate the sin, love the sinner" mentality. And as far as I'm concerned, holding that mentality makes you homophobic.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:45:48 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: February 03, 2012, 01:21:52 am »

I'll take one spot on that list, dunno about my brother and my dad still is old school so once again a minority of ideas.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: February 03, 2012, 08:36:38 am »

I'd like to know the amount of Christians against mixed fabrics.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: February 03, 2012, 09:58:39 am »

I think they've retconned that part of the bible. The New Testament is supposed to be like a new deal worked out between God and everybody. Thats why mixed fabrics are ok and eat pork, shellfish and shrimp and it isn't an 'abomination'. Judism still abides by the old rules, that's why Orthodox Jews don't wear mixed fabrics.

Ironically enough, most the stuff about homosexuals is in the same part of the Bible (Old Testament) as all the old rules Christians don't have to follow anymore. In that, homosexuality was compared in severity as wearing mixed fibrics or eating shrimp. The New Testiment then explictly prescribes immediate death for homosexuals and of course, supercedes anything the Old Testament says about it. Such cases.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:10:12 am by Montague »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: February 03, 2012, 10:16:07 am »

I don't think there's anything wrong with disliking other people if you don't try to oppress them over it. For example, I think that people who are into dubstep are a bunch of wankers, but that doesn't mean I'd ban dubstep music even if I could. Tolerance doesn't mean liking everything, it just means acknowledging it's right to exist.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: February 03, 2012, 10:16:57 am »

I think they've retconned that part of the bible. The New Testament is supposed to be like a new deal worked out between God and everybody. Thats why mixed fabrics are ok and eat pork, shellfish and shrimp and it isn't an 'abomination'. Judism still abides by the old rules, that's why Orthodox Jews don't wear mixed fabrics.

Ironically enough, most the stuff about homosexuals is in the same part of the Bible (Old Testament) as all the old rules Christians don't have to follow anymore. In that, homosexuality was compared in severity as wearing mixed fibrics or eating shrimp. The New Testiment then explictly prescribes immediate death for homosexuals and of course, supercedes anything the Old Testament says about it. Such cases.
The thing is, this is basically what he was saying with this joke that has never actually been funny at all for me.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: February 03, 2012, 12:31:34 pm »

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/j-c-penney-wont-fire-ellen-anti-gay-000900801.html
Thank you JC Penny.... Thank you for not firing your spokesperson for being openly gay despite pressure to do so.

It's still amazing that anyone would even try it though. Let's see, we're talking about someone who has won 32 emmys who has over 3 million viewers of her show and a cult following. But, forget that, JC Penny should fire her, because she's openly gay, namely a lesbian. So these people were really organizing a massive boycott of JC Penny with the singular demand that they not give Ellen a job expressly because she's openly gay...? <-- no really, this is the reason. Pissed off about something? Why not take it out on a gay person and cost them their job if you can? :D It'll be great.... :(

Let's take that to its logical conclusion, these people want someone fired and not allowed to work because they are openly gay...? It... she shouldn't be able to have a job...? Literally fire her? So if the rule they want is, gay people should be fired, then how are you supposed to live in society without a job? They basically just want us gone. Don't care where or how we go, as long as we do. Fuck us....

I am actually really happy JC Penny didn't bow to this group's pressure, like Lowes did with its sponsorship of a Muslim TV show.

In an actual boycott that makes sense http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/02/03/146344674/in-reversal-komen-reinstates-funding-for-planned-parenthood.

Thank you. All those pink items don't screen for, or fight breast cancer. You know what does? The doctors at Planned Parenthood. They lost their essential purpose: fighting breast cancer. Hopefully the people at Komen charities have figured out that it is not their place to make political statements. They exist as a charitable organization to help people, not their own political agenda.

Finally, in Florida's Welfare Drug Testing prejudice, Only 2% of those drug tested failed the drug tests. The other 98% are stigmatized because they're poor and therefore are somehow "more likely to do drugs according to the Florida Governor. Allegedly, there are studies backing him, though he has shown none. He's lying. This drug testing policy, supposed to have saved the State of Florida tons of cash, has tossed it $200,000 in the hole. Why not, even Romney says he doesn't really care about poor people. He didn't "misspeak" he got caught saying something stupid and now he's backpedaling....

It just amazes me that all you have to go is get conservative people pissed off and that's all that seems to matter anymore to the party. Santorum is predicting doomsday if he isn't elected. Hopefully he won't be, seeing as he is a crackpot, as we've discussed repeatedly.

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: February 03, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »

Yeah, the Komen-Planned Parenthood thing is getting some MAJOR backlash. As in, every single woman I know has basically said, "Fuck that pink shit."

Of course, the very people who were pressuring them will now decry the "pro-abortionist Gestapo extortion campaign forcing the Susan G. Komen foundation to support the murder of the pre-born" or some shit. Meh, fuck 'em.

The Santorum bit doesn't surprise me, nor is it purely a conservative thing. Rachael Maddow and Keith Olbermann basically supercharged their careers by doing nothing more than delivering bits of news and commentary designed to fuel impotent liberal rage during the Bush years. When you feel like nothing you do is going to STOP THE MADNESS, you like it when people tell you that you're right to be scared, right to be angry, and give you even more reasons to be scared and angry. It's a bipartisan cycle.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: February 03, 2012, 01:46:13 pm »

Yeah, the Komen-Planned Parenthood thing is getting some MAJOR backlash. As in, every single woman I know has basically said, "Fuck that pink shit."

Of course, the very people who were pressuring them will now decry the "pro-abortionist Gestapo extortion campaign forcing the Susan G. Komen foundation to support the murder of the pre-born" or some shit. Meh, fuck 'em.

The Santorum bit doesn't surprise me, nor is it purely a conservative thing. Rachael Maddow and Keith Olbermann basically supercharged their careers by doing nothing more than delivering bits of news and commentary designed to fuel impotent liberal rage during the Bush years. When you feel like nothing you do is going to STOP THE MADNESS, you like it when people tell you that you're right to be scared, right to be angry, and give you even more reasons to be scared and angry. It's a bipartisan cycle.

Totally agreed on the Breast Cancer thing.

So forgetting the, if it's actually true, like "Bush tortures people," etc, argument....

All of this is only able to exist is a climate of extreme ignorance. People think "government" is the problem, when in fact they are the government. If people are the government and government is the problem, then people are the problem.They don't know the first thing about how the government works, but they think they do.

1.) All these government agencies make regulations and we have no say!

Wrong. Congress vests agencies with rule making powers through administrative law. If people actually cared to look it up, then they could submit input and proposals to the rule making bodies of these boards. The hearings are and must be public and they have to acknowledge and record comments, concerns and suggestions. The only people who know about this are well funded special interest groups. People don't wanna learn the system themselves and refuse to pay someone else to do it for them, thus they don't know....

You, yes you, could actually have an immense impact on the EPA or Department of Education via submission of opinions, questions and concerns on proposed policies and approval of applications for programs. Again, the problem is, no one will look up how to do this and no one will pay anyone to do it for them. Completely, willfully in the dark about how the system works, people slowly find out that ignorance is not bliss....

2.) The Constitution says, "...."

Most people don't really get how the constitution works, at all, even and especially if they think they do. There's a reason it's a full year course for law students and even then, that doesn't cover it really. The 4th, 5th, and 6th amendments have been vilified as "protecting criminals," along with the 8th amendment which has been largely rendered out of play recently given the whole torture thing.... We come up with "new" ways to deal with "new" problems, that aren't really new. We've faced enemies before and though the methods change the threats are still the same essentially. The "enhanced interrogation" doesn't work, as you'll say anything under that pressure.

That doesn't even count the over two centuries of case law the supreme court has interpreted the constitution through, which is even the watered down civics class definition of what the Judiciary branch should do: Interpret the Law.

People are totally dumbfounded that they DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE in the constitution. Look at the text, it isn't there, anywhere. Even the amendments about voting only say you can't DENY someone a vote based upon certain things, but nowhere does it say "The people shall have the right to vote," or anything really. Nothing confers a positive right to vote in the text itself. Now, its a very good argument to say this is implied and assumed (because how else do you have an election?), but just don't say the phrase "implied right" to strict textualist who only wants to see "what's in the constitution." By that logic, nobody can vote....

I could go on but really why?

In summation, the word that's killing us is "should." Example, "Well, it 'should' be this way." Well, it isn't. Nobody asks why it isn't or what would theoretically make and keep things they way they "should" be. No one asks if those mechanisms are broken or suggests specific fixes. My ideas of hiring a shitload of accountants to track stuff falls on deaf ears or is rebuffed as "too expensive" and "besides, they're supposed to be honest anyhow...." And, what keeps them that way? Yes, this will cost money and not paying for it will cost you far more....

Expectations and duties about "shoulds" are just imposed but ... what does that mean. You don't expect a building's integrity to last without a system of supports and extensive planning. Why would anyone expect a country's integrity to?

TL;DR Let's point fingers at each other and fight over who to blame instead of how to fix it. Let's complain about government not working instead of figuring out how it works. Yaaaay... O wait a second.... I sense a problem.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:56:22 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: February 03, 2012, 02:30:04 pm »

truean its your fault that I failed out of college!
Did I do it right?
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 852