Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853357 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9541 on: January 09, 2012, 08:04:59 pm »

Yeah, TBH I just wanted to underline it. I'm against monarchies in principle, but I kind of like that woman. She gets involved in activism of various sorts quite often.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: January 09, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »

... There are places religious tolerance can't go, and that place is towards the worshiper of the embodiment of all that is wrong in the world.

... I can not rebuke and deconstruct this hypocrisy truthfully and thoroughly without offending some people here who I respect and value the continued participation of.  :-X

There is no hypocrisy. You can't extend tolerance to someone who worships Satan. I'm not saying any other religion is evil, I'm saying the one that worships the Ruler of Hell is evil.

As long as the cultists next door don't decide to start sacrificing people or anything like that, they can worship Satan or Barney the Dinosaur, for all I care. I don't have a problem with people worshipping... stuff. I have a problem with people committing crimes.

DINOSAURS FOR THE DINOSAUR GOD!

FRIENDSHIP FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9543 on: January 09, 2012, 08:13:34 pm »

There is no hypocrisy. You can't extend tolerance to someone who worships Satan. I'm not saying any other religion is evil, I'm saying the one that worships the Ruler of Hell is evil.
Clearly your interpretation of Satan is the only possible one.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: January 09, 2012, 08:14:21 pm »

You realize they're tongue in cheek, right?

Hell even if they weren't, so long as they don't burn down churches or start sacrificing people/animals or various otherwise illegal things, who cares? Let 'em damn themselves all they want.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: January 09, 2012, 08:17:58 pm »

sacrificing [...] illegal things, who cares? Let 'em damn themselves all they want.
I would soooo join a cult that regularly sacrifices weed.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9546 on: January 09, 2012, 08:26:59 pm »

We already had an excellent conversation on what Satanism actually is in another thread, so I'll just link to the start of it here.

Note that Anton LaVey was more of a troll than an actual religious leader. And that's hilarious to me.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:30:49 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: January 09, 2012, 08:30:49 pm »

Really.

Are we really pulling the post-modernist card? Really?

It's been so nice without that card on the table.

Y'know what? Yes. At some point we have to draw the line of religious interpretations, and I think the interpretation as Satan being sympathetic might be a damn good place to start.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9548 on: January 09, 2012, 08:33:12 pm »

Really.

Are we really pulling the post-modernist card? Really?

It's been so nice without that card on the table.

Y'know what? Yes. At some point we have to draw the line of religious interpretations, and I think the interpretation as Satan being sympathetic might be a damn good place to start.
It's not "post-modernist", it's "people might disagree with your particular interpretation of religious scripture".

And once again, Satanism as "let's literally worship Satan" has not really been a thing for a long time. And it may actually never have existed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: January 09, 2012, 08:33:58 pm »

So, would you mind pointing to where you get your interpretation of Satan from?  Because I'm pretty sure he comes from medieval superstition and not any actual scripture.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9550 on: January 09, 2012, 08:39:33 pm »

Satan comes from medieval superstition.

Wat. I don't...

Well, I can sort of see where you're coming from. Satan is simply a form we have applied to the many representations of him in the bible. So the seven headed beast in revelations, the tempting of Jesus in... Acts? I'll have to check in a second, the evil snake in genesis.

Satan as a goat-man with red skin is a medieval interpretation. Satan as the evil being he is has been around for much longer.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9551 on: January 09, 2012, 08:40:12 pm »

All right.  In modernity, it's said to have begun with John Milton's Paradise Lost, published in 1667.

That interpretation's been around a hell of a long time with no problems.  You might want to start catching up.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9552 on: January 09, 2012, 08:40:55 pm »

Satan comes from medieval superstition.

Wat. I don't...

Well, I can sort of see where you're coming from. Satan is simply a form we have applied to the many representations of him in the bible. So the seven headed beast in revelations, the tempting of Jesus in... Acts? I'll have to check in a second, the evil snake in genesis.

Satan as a goat-man with red skin is a medieval interpretation. Satan as the evil being he is has been around for much longer.
no. satan as described in the bible is not the lord of hell. The bible does not contain that at all.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: January 09, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »

Some Satan worshipers believe that "God" is the true "Satan."  I've been told by some that they think "God" pulled the ultimate (proverbial) "wool over your eyes" and got people to follow, praise, and worship only Him showing his ego and need for followers.  I've also been told that Satan, with open arms, welcomes all who come and "God" divided the heavens to enforce his strict rule and self importance.  (Like building a wall, and separating humanity into "Good and Evil"/"Rich and Poor" because he wanted power over his followers.)  "God" portrayed Satan's realm as a terrible place of fire and brimstone to get his followers to bend to his will and rule with fear.  Satan worshipers I know have stated things like this many... many times.

Of course, both sides (IMHO) are interesting fables, but hardly something I should follow.  (And according to Satan worshipers, I would be welcome by Satan for believing that and unwelcome to God unless I grovel at his feet.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9554 on: January 09, 2012, 08:47:30 pm »

Satan's a fallen hero type dude in some parts of the bible, God's servant in others (Job).

Dante's inferno isn't "canon" either, so most the stuff you think of when you think of Hell is conjecture. All it's ever been described as is "fire and brimstone" and "wailing and gnashing of teeth," no dudes with pitchforks or rivers of lava.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 852