Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853450 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9525 on: January 09, 2012, 05:59:43 pm »

Wouldn't be funny if we die, and we found out polyester blends really WERE the reason the world sucks so much? God keeps sending these disasters and WE NEVER LEARN. We just keep on mixing those clothes!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9526 on: January 09, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »

Wouldn't be funny if we die, and we found out polyester blends really WERE the reason the world sucks so much? God keeps sending these disasters and WE NEVER LEARN. We just keep on mixing those clothes!

And the best part, we gays kept telling you to stick to natural fibers but nooooooo.

Our fashion advice would've saved 'teh world." :P

"Cast off thine hedonistic polyester sweater [Looks at name tag] Doug, and wear instead this tasteful collared shirt made of all natural cotton. Go forth and don't look so frumpy and dated...."

[tongue in through cheek]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:22:40 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9527 on: January 09, 2012, 06:05:17 pm »

Modern Salem witch trials blocking.
Salem resident Anaka Hunter contacted the ACLU after she was unable to access websites pertaining to Native American religions or the Wiccan faith for her own research. After protesting to the library director, Glenda Wofford, portions of the sites were unblocked, but much remained censored. Wofford said she would only allow access to blocked sites if she felt patrons had a legitimate reason to view the content and further said that she had an obligation to report people who wanted to view these sites to the authorities.
This reminds me, my school blocks some websites based on "Alternative beliefs/spirituality".

Time to call the ACLU?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9528 on: January 09, 2012, 06:07:17 pm »

If true, then yes, it is. Unless its part of a broader ban that isn't inherently discriminatory, of course. Of course, if they are actually blocking them on "Alternative beliefs/spirituality", that's pretty much impossible.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: January 09, 2012, 06:07:50 pm »

Sounds painful.

I'd pay to see that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9530 on: January 09, 2012, 06:10:43 pm »

Sounds painful.

I'd pay to see that.

More the ultimate figurative sarcasm tag but your patronage would be appreciated non-the-less. :) [curtsey]

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9531 on: January 09, 2012, 06:42:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure the majority of satanists don't actually worship satan, and instead follow a left-handed path. They've taken on the name for shock value, because that is how they roll.

This is true. They figured that they were going to be called satanic anyway, and embraced the name. Their basic belief is pretty close to unenlightened self interest,  with their own desires as their perfect goal combined with some supernatural BS about bending reality to their will. Mix Ayn Rand with some LSD and a bit of San Francisco 60's era orgiastic counter culture and you have its roots nailed down pretty well. Its a crappy religion, but its not really devil worship.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9532 on: January 09, 2012, 06:44:43 pm »

If true, then yes, it is. Unless its part of a broader ban that isn't inherently discriminatory, of course. Of course, if they are actually blocking them on "Alternative beliefs/spirituality", that's pretty much impossible.
The block screen shows exactly that for the reason. And I know they don't block Christian sites.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: January 09, 2012, 06:50:26 pm »

The block screen shows exactly that for the reason. And I know they don't block Christian sites.
Note that many of these internet blocks operate on an automatic listing system that does not have human input. Calling up the administrator will likely get it unblocked without even using the word "lawyer".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #9534 on: January 09, 2012, 07:12:26 pm »

There are places religious tolerance can't go, and that place is towards the worshiper of the embodiment of all that is wrong in the world.

This is, ironically enough, something I can agree with you on. We might disagree about what exactly constitutes a religion of evil, and about what means are appropriate to combat it - It'll take an awful lot to push me past impassioned argument, for example. But we can at least agree that it should not be tolerated. See? We're not so different after all.  :P

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9535 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:56 pm »

I'm totally fine with worshiping "an embodiment of evil." Just so long as said person doesn't translate their beliefs into unacceptable actions toward others. Even then, it's the actions I have a problem with, not the beliefs.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: January 09, 2012, 07:15:38 pm »

As long as the cultists next door don't decide to start sacrificing people or anything like that, they can worship Satan or Barney the Dinosaur, for all I care. I don't have a problem with people worshipping... stuff. I have a problem with people committing crimes.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: January 09, 2012, 07:22:22 pm »

The problem with calling certain religions, in and of themselves, "good" or "evil" would be the reciprocity effect. Long as it applies to [cough] "other people" which is to say, "not me," people are bastards and want the most stringent, harsh punishment possible. The moment they realize it might come back on them or someone they care about, they suddenly get more reasonable.

[Insert type of religion here] is evil!.... That's sort of a problem and lately we've targeted the Muslims. Don't get me wrong, there is some shit done by some of them that is positively infuriating, especially their treatment of women. That said, we used to be roughly the same.....

In short, careful to dole out punishment, because it can come back on you....

That said, some of the behavior of various religions, the behaviors in and of themselves no matter who does them: evil.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:47:08 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9539 on: January 09, 2012, 07:56:06 pm »

... There are places religious tolerance can't go, and that place is towards the worshiper of the embodiment of all that is wrong in the world.

... I can not rebuke and deconstruct this hypocrisy truthfully and thoroughly without offending some people here who I respect and value the continued participation of.  :-X
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 852