Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857436 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8295 on: December 14, 2011, 02:03:43 pm »

Unless you were just pointing out that you can't generalize kaijyuu's statement to mean that intent is all that matters, in which case sorry for the completely beside your point reply, because that's actually pretty true.
Yes.

Incidentally, I'd also agree with G-Flex's post - he probably isn't actively supporting the KKK, and may not have even known about their slogan, but he is using the exact same xenophobic tactics to appeal to voters.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: December 14, 2011, 02:16:41 pm »

Not to some people! Intent is irrelevant compared to what they want to hear.
Because obviously you have no responsibility at all to check that what you're saying isn't offensive or giving off completely the wrong message.  It's entirely the listeners' fault if they hear what you actually said instead of magically knowing what you intended them to hear.
When the listeners are upset because if you add a letter to what you actually said it's a slogan for a famous group of white supremacists (and not a slogan that's universal knowledge), then yeah, I don't think you're the most at fault. This isn't even a situation that demands an apology, unless some evidence of intentional support for the KKK comes up.

:-\ Sorry, but that smacks of "That's not Die, Bart Die....it's German for 'The Bart, The'". If your slogan is one letter difference from something with negative connotations (and not a letter that drastically changes the message), then I think it's a fair cop to raise the question.
I believe bart means beard.

THE BEARD, THE

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: December 14, 2011, 03:24:56 pm »

Not to some people! Intent is irrelevant compared to what they want to hear.
Because obviously you have no responsibility at all to check that what you're saying isn't offensive or giving off completely the wrong message.  It's entirely the listeners' fault if they hear what you actually said instead of magically knowing what you intended them to hear.
1) You're very quick to forget the debate we had on this sort of thing... a week ago or less? I realize miscommunication exists and it is the responsibility of the speaker to prevent that.
2) You conveniently didn't quote the part of my post where I aimed the vitriol of my post solely on those who realized the speaker's intent but still chose to be offended rather than rational. If someone doesn't realize there was a miscommunication, I've no qualms with people being offended over it. I've only a problem with those who know the speaker's intent, chose to ignore it, and then put their own meaning in other people's mouths.

As a side note dude, you really need to stop quoting small parts of people's posts and launch condescending quips at people. You're often taking stuff out of context, not to mention sarcastic insults in general are pretty lame. If you want to join a debate here and elsewhere, do more than point out how dumb you think other people are.

EDIT: Oooh, I've a fun idea.

If you ever quote a single line from one of my posts again, take out the context, and proceed to attack it, I'm going to add the context back in. Watch in awe.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:-\ Sorry, but that smacks of "That's not Die, Bart Die....it's German for 'The Bart, The'". If your slogan is one letter difference from something with negative connotations (and not a letter that drastically changes the message), then I think it's a fair cop to raise the question.

It'd be like posting a sign saying "No dogs or Jews aloud", and then protesting that you're not anti-Semitic, you just like a nice quiet neighborhood.
Fair to raise the question, but it's also pretty easy to answer that's not what he meant at all. As has been said, the KKK is anti-mormon. He's got all the reason in the world to dislike them.

Should he avoid that slogan in the future? Probably. Does this situation give any weight to the idea that he's secretly supportive of the KKK? Hell no.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:01:49 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: December 14, 2011, 03:50:45 pm »

Oh what the hell. I leave the thread for seven hours and come back to "Mitt Romney is using the slogan to secretly show support for racism, xenophobia, and the KKK".

That's it, I quit. Believe whatever you want.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: December 14, 2011, 04:04:22 pm »

Oh what the hell. I leave the thread for seven hours and come back to "Mitt Romney is using the slogan to secretly show support for racism, xenophobia, and the KKK".

I think the conversation is a little more complex than you give it credit for.

However: What makes you think racism and xenophobia aren't at least an implicit part of the social conservative Republican platform? It wouldn't exactly be the first time. Or have you forgotten about the whole "birther" issue?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: December 14, 2011, 04:08:15 pm »

If you ever quote a single line from one of my posts again, take out the context, and proceed to attack it, I'm going to add the context back in. Watch in awe.
I didn't intend to quote you out of context (I quote what's relevant, if people want context they can click the link and go back to the actual post).  I saw more of a disconnect between your first and second line and misinterpreted your use of the word "even" (ie "This is a particularly bad subset of the behaviour I'm describing" rather than "This is all of the behaviour I'm describing").  I was gonna say I was sorry for misreading your post and move on, but if you want to keep editing your post to be more and more insulting to me that's fine.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:09:48 pm by Leafsnail »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: December 14, 2011, 04:12:09 pm »

However: What makes you think racism and xenophobia aren't at least an implicit part of the social conservative Republican platform? It wouldn't exactly be the first time. Or have you forgotten about the whole "birther" issue?
No one is arguing against that point. That is not the point that is being argued. The point that is being argued is not the one you are talking about in your post.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: December 14, 2011, 04:18:36 pm »

I didn't intend to quote you out of context (I quote what's relevant, if people want context they can click the link and go back to the actual post).
Fair enough, but most of the time more than 1 or 2 lines are relevant. Admittedly I usually talk about the same thought over multiple paragraphs, so there might be some confusion there.
I saw more of a disconnect between your first and second line and misinterpreted your use of the word "even" (ie "This is a particularly bad subset of the behaviour I'm describing" rather than "This is all of the behaviour I'm describing").
Fair enough, again.
I was gonna say I was sorry for misreading your post and move on, but if you want to keep editing your post to be more and more insulting to me that's fine.
If criticizing your posting style is insulting you, I don't know what to say.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8303 on: December 14, 2011, 04:21:08 pm »

Romney isn't even particularly xenophobic by GOP standards anyway. Remember Cain's electrified fence comment?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: December 14, 2011, 04:32:26 pm »

No one is arguing against that point. That is not the point that is being argued. The point that is being argued is not the one you are talking about in your post.

My point is that the slogan showing support for racism/xenophobia (on some level) shouldn't be treated as implausible or at all surprising.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: December 14, 2011, 04:35:10 pm »

My point is that the slogan showing support for racism/xenophobia (on some level) shouldn't be treated as implausible or at all surprising.

It'd be like posting a sign saying "No dogs or Jews aloud", and then protesting that you're not anti-Semitic, you just like a nice quiet neighborhood.
Fair to raise the question, but it's also pretty easy to answer that's not what he meant at all. As has been said, the KKK is anti-mormon. He's got all the reason in the world to dislike them.

Should he avoid that slogan in the future? Probably. Does this situation give any weight to the idea that he's secretly supportive of the KKK? Hell no.

Maybe I'm just a little bit weird, but I think there are enough reasons in this world not to like any of the Republican candidates that you don't have to manufacture ones that don't make sense from the candidate's own perspective.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:40:28 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: December 14, 2011, 05:07:18 pm »

I agree that he's most likely not supporting the KKK. However, the phrase goes back further and broader than the KKK. I was thinking more of the Know-Nothing Party (aka the American Party), to which the modern Tea Party movement has been repeatedly compared (not just by liberals but by mainstream conservative pundits such as Bill Kristol). The original Know-Nothings were anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant. This did not stop some Catholics from joining their ranks when certain regional branches of them became more "anti-non-white" than anything else (as in San Francisco, where the focus was anti-Chinese sentiment), or immigrant German Protestants from joining their ranks in New England where the focus was primarily anti-Catholic.

What's one of the Republican constituencies that least trusts Romney? The Tea Party. What better way to try and wink at them that "Hey, I'm just like you...I want to build a fence and kick out all the foreign weirdos too" than by referencing an "America for Americans" type nativism?

You can call it grasping for straws all you want. This sort of stuff is deliberately crafted to be ambiguous so there's plausible deniability if it backfires. That's why it's so pernicious. It's like Palin and Bachmann's type of comments about "Second Amendment remedies". It's a wink and a nod at the "I'm going to shoot me a libruhl" GOP blowhards, and then when an actual Congressional representative got shot, they acted aghast and indignant that anyone dare suggest their comments might possibly have played a role.

I don't care if he said America or American...either way, the implication is that foreign influences are somehow destroying or corrupting the country (the core premise of nativism).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: December 14, 2011, 05:21:16 pm »

I think people are over analyzing a rather harmless statement.  (ie: Tinfoil hat type over analyzing.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: December 14, 2011, 05:24:46 pm »

Man, I get to vote for the first time this coming year and I don't even like any of the candidates from either main party, which is weird even for anti-bi-partisan freeformschooler. That's the most progressive irritation I can think of.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: December 14, 2011, 05:32:18 pm »

What exactly does "anti-bi-partisan" mean?
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 852