Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857439 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8280 on: December 14, 2011, 07:58:10 am »

Let's even assume you're correct for a moment.
It's literally what he says. How is it even up for debate?!
It's between:

1.) "Keep America American."
2.) "Keep America America."

We're literally talking about one letter difference. Easy mistake if it is one. Very easy. Too close for comfort.
Not to mention they're not that different in meaning in the first place.
They are entirely different statements, as I mentioned before.

1.) "Keep America American." -The historical slogan of the KKK. Used to mark racist white protestants as the only true Americans, and to say that America is composed of them and should continue to be.
2.) "Keep America America." -References an imaginary "good old days" when America was "land of the free, home of the brave". Implies that we are moving away from that and that electing Romney as president is a step to retain America as it was in this imaginary scenario.

One letter can make a world of difference. (Also, even if he did actually adopt their slogan, it wouldn't make any sense. The KKK hate a great deal of things, and among those things are Mormons. Such as Mitt Romney.)

A fair deal of people are confused on the issue of very similar sounding words.... If its a mistake, certainly you can see it's a reasonable one to make?
If there's one thing I've learned... reason is not common.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: December 14, 2011, 08:10:56 am »

It's the season, there is a lot of senseless shooting in Europe right now, usually that end with the killer shot/shooting himself.
They are done without reason (usually with a political background, but it doesn't make sense) by isolated individual (no known network).
I guess it's a consequence of the publicity over of Breinvick's actions.
Humans are flawed in so many ways...
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: December 14, 2011, 08:33:33 am »

another one in norway began shooting with a mitra on the crowd, 5 deaths, 130 more wounded, of which many heavily.

Wait, what? You meant the Belgian thing, right? Not finding any reports of a new mass shooting in Norway.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:56 am »

Not to some people! Intent is irrelevant compared to what they want to hear.
Because obviously you have no responsibility at all to check that what you're saying isn't offensive or giving off completely the wrong message.  It's entirely the listeners' fault if they hear what you actually said instead of magically knowing what you intended them to hear.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8284 on: December 14, 2011, 09:01:11 am »

another one in norway began shooting with a mitra on the crowd, 5 deaths, 130 more wounded, of which many heavily.

Wait, what? You meant the Belgian thing, right? Not finding any reports of a new mass shooting in Norway.

yes, sorry, got confused. it's the belgian one. The one about the man who has marocco origins. (i'm sure somebody will eventually start another racism holy war just for that detail)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: December 14, 2011, 09:23:06 am »

yes, sorry, got confused. it's the belgian one. The one about the man who has marocco origins. (i'm sure somebody will eventually start another racism holy war just for that detail)
I was wondering about that. I saw the last name of Amrani, and thought it looked like a Maghrebi name of origin. No indications of any Islamism in this though. More like random gun nut (dude had been previously arrested for owning 9,500 gun parts and 2,800 marijuana plants). Even FOX isn't making any hay of his ethnicity.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8286 on: December 14, 2011, 10:16:22 am »

the italian news service instead gave it as "of marocco origins". meh, equality in news is an utopy.
they did state he had previously been arrested for marijuana planting, but they didn't mention the gun parts.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:10 am »

For all we know he could have done that out of rage against our Gun control laws.
But more likely he killed someone for some reason (a corpse has been found at his house) gave his saving to his girlfriend by bank transfer,saying something along the line of "carry on with your life I love you" and decided to go out with a bang.
It look like some sort of super suicide.
http://www.levif.be/info/actualite/belgique/attentat-a-liege-5-morts-dont-l-auteur-nordine-amrani-et-123-blesses/article-4000018013466.htm

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: December 14, 2011, 10:20:10 am »

The media that I've read identified the corpse at his house as a cleaning lady. Sounds like she may have walked in on him just as he started out on his rampage.

How tight are Belgian gun laws anyway?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8289 on: December 14, 2011, 10:23:14 am »

italians too said about the cleaning lady of the neighbors.
DETECTIVE SHADE ACTIVATES SUPERINTUITION:
maybe the lady saw through the neighbors windows the guy cleaning gun parts.
since he couldn't have them she started blackmailing him for money.
no longer being able to withstand such a situation, or financially lacking, he shot her and then decided to go out with a bang.
it's just a possibility though, police will certainly shed light on the matter better.
*detective conan music on the background of shade's brain*

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: December 14, 2011, 11:10:49 am »

Harsh : you need a purpose to own a gun, and the gun must correspond to said purpose. If your license is not renewed you must destroy, sell or surrender the gun to the police.
The problem with those laws are that they are, as usual not enforced, and probably not enforceable.
Every once in a while, a politician will come with a "genius" idea, and submit it to his peer such as "let's control precisely what everyone is doing with his gun to avoid another incident like said shooting". And everyone agree, especially since no one link guns and freedom in Belgium.
The thing is, our entire justice system is underfunded, and work basically because few people are willing to breach the law too hard (and those that does breach the law are, in fact, not punished, or not enough). It's gone to the point that you can get out of a stabbing with a few years and probation.
Yeah, that's fucked up.

So the genius idea pass, and then is not applied. It's so common that the fact that some laws won't be enforced is now sometime publicly claimed. And example is that the speed in the center of Bruxelles is supposed to be 30Km/h, a limit never respected and officially not enforced (and to be fair, a lot of people don't even know it).
So we have though gun laws, respected that those who want (like most of our laws).

It's kind of the opposite extreme to the American law.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:33:38 am by Phmcw »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8291 on: December 14, 2011, 11:17:15 am »

please, in italy, you become FAMOUS for killing people and stuff.
and even if you are proven innocent, you still get more money, and if guilty, money too.
oh and did i mention the years long process even when there is a friggin AUDIO RECORD THAT SHOWS THE CULPRIT!?
the case of the girl killed by the uncle, to state one.
the uncle had firstly stated he had killed her.
then that his family did it.
then that he was the sole culprit.
the family of the uncle got in jail too.
their alibis were questionable.
the uncle was deemed too IDIOT to be a certificate testimonial, furthermore, having already served the sentence for "hiding a corpse" and being psychologically proven not able to commit that type of murder, was released.
the two women got in jail.
and there were protests about the fact of justice not working.
then, WHAT COMES OUT THREE WEEKS AGO!?
A FRIGGIN, DAMN, "SPECIAL"! of "fourth grade" (a sort of tv special on crimes, with more info than normal) and what is an audio tape showing a chat between the uncle and his daughter during jail time.
Uncle:"after she was killed, we shouldn't have hidden it"
daughter:"you are right father..."
uncle:"maybe we could have told them it was an accident, that would have been better"
daughter:"yes father"
uncle:"instead we tried to be smart to protect her (the wife)"
daughter "i know..."

so...want to swap criminals and criminal laws?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: December 14, 2011, 12:43:40 pm »

Because obviously you have no responsibility at all to check that what you're saying isn't offensive or giving off completely the wrong message.  It's entirely the listeners' fault if they hear what you actually said instead of magically knowing what you intended them to hear.
When the listeners are upset because if you add a letter to what you actually said it's a slogan for a famous group of white supremacists (and not a slogan that's universal knowledge), then yeah, I don't think you're the most at fault. This isn't even a situation that demands an apology, unless some evidence of intentional support for the KKK comes up.

Unless you were just pointing out that you can't generalize kaijyuu's statement to mean that intent is all that matters, in which case sorry for the completely beside your point reply, because that's actually pretty true.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: December 14, 2011, 01:18:22 pm »

When the listeners are upset because if you add a letter to what you actually said it's a slogan for a famous group of white supremacists (and not a slogan that's universal knowledge), then yeah, I don't think you're the most at fault.

Except in this case, it's not a question of it being complete coincidence... because it's not complete coincidence. They're both regressive, xenophobic slogans meant to appeal to very conservative and traditionalistic people.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »

When the listeners are upset because if you add a letter to what you actually said it's a slogan for a famous group of white supremacists (and not a slogan that's universal knowledge), then yeah, I don't think you're the most at fault. This isn't even a situation that demands an apology, unless some evidence of intentional support for the KKK comes up.

:-\ Sorry, but that smacks of "That's not Die, Bart Die....it's German for 'The Bart, The'". If your slogan is one letter difference from something with negative connotations (and not a letter that drastically changes the message), then I think it's a fair cop to raise the question.

It'd be like posting a sign saying "No dogs or Jews aloud", and then protesting that you're not anti-Semitic, you just like a nice quiet neighborhood.

Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 852