Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853971 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5100 on: September 18, 2011, 06:36:15 pm »

I'm pretty sure Judaism isn't fond of graverobbing. And before anyone asks, you're supposed to give someone a proper burial even if they're a criminal, so no eating murderers.
...It's not *technically* graverobbing if you never leave the grave with the corpse, is it?
No, but it is desecration of the dead. Plus, having dinner in an open grave is just gross.

"I'll eat a corpse no problem, but only with the right silverware".
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: September 18, 2011, 07:13:39 pm »

Back on the subject of Progressive Rage, I discovered a rather powerful speech at the end of an old black-and-white comedy, of all things. For something that I can only assume was conceived as an anti-Nazi propaganda piece, it comes quite unexpectedly.

"The Greatest Speech Ever Made" - Charlie Chaplain

In ways, it reminds me of Jacob Bronowski, in the Ascent of Man.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: September 18, 2011, 07:59:27 pm »

I really need to watch The Great Dictator again.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: September 19, 2011, 12:54:59 am »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: September 19, 2011, 01:20:50 am »

I never expected to be one to post a link here. Especially a link that demonstrates what this thread is all about. I don't generally travel in the circles on the internet that would allow me to do such a thing.

This genre-based writing podcast has a transsexual author as a guest, and they discuss various points on writing gender roles in fiction. Interesting thing to note is that at least two of the hosts for this particular episode are practicing Mormons, and yet this seems to have absolutely no effect on how the discussion goes. (I'm not sure if Mary has ever publicly declared her religious views on the show, so I am not sure)

Anyway, this podcast has always been diversity friendly, in my opinion, but I've never had a solid reason to link it until now. :)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: September 19, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »

Truean, what I referred to by "lifestyle choice" was the choice to hide it whilst in work - the individual in question was single, in thier 50's and had no family - it later emerged that they had been living as a female in all areas of thier life save for thier work life, which is understandable. For the record, the individual in question had no desire to undergo any gender reallignment treatment, and was still attracted to women.

This actually seems to be very common (from what little I know about it), and it leads me to believe that transsexualism may be an evolutionary paralell of female mimicry behavior observed in some male bluegill sunfish (or at least somehow related)...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:35:05 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: September 19, 2011, 09:36:21 pm »

Being fascinated with the appearance of what you are attracted to and wanting to participate or engage in it isn't too far of a gap to be bridged.  People are already sexually self interested without necessarily being attracted to members of their same sex.

Here is a must read article by a resigning GOP staffer, unsure if its been posted:

http://www.truth-out.org/goodbye-all-reflections-gop-operative-who-left-cult/1314907779
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: September 19, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »

Urge to jump ship rising! And I'm not even finished reading it yet. That's about all I can say right now, until I've digested that more. Suffice it to say that while I was already fairly disgusted with what's going on around these parts, I am now more so disgusted.

Know of anywhere less screwed up, with a survivable immigration policy, but still fairly livable?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:20:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: September 19, 2011, 10:16:41 pm »

I am currently in a state of having successfully jumped ship.

It's no bed of roses here either.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: September 19, 2011, 10:28:10 pm »

I reposted that link on Facebook.  I hope it will spread around, but I doubt it somehow.  Where's the next Orwell when you need him?

edit: oh right, jumping ship too.  Of course, which ship to I jump to when this little two party system consists of fear vs. hate?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:31:52 pm by Euld »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: September 19, 2011, 10:32:44 pm »

I have a degree in the sciences and work experience, I can move somewhere nice right? Right? Oh gods don't let my current poverty be an obstacle it is isn't it.

Actually this isn't news to me and while I'm still not seriously considering leaving, it gets more tempting to start figuring out what would be feasible every time I hear about something new that's related in any way to politics, with the sole exception of that jobs bill kerjigger we talked about a few pages back that's probably been obliterated by now.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: September 19, 2011, 10:34:14 pm »

I am currently in a state of having successfully jumped ship.

It's no bed of roses here either.
Yeah, it always irks me when people jokingly talk about leaving a country over relatively petty things. Relatively in the sense of it doesn't really affect your life enough to move, and your moving leaves no impact upon the thing you are insulted at.

Or I could dig up the atrocious crap every other 'civilized' country is currently doing, but I already support friendly nationalism so that would be counterproductive.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: September 19, 2011, 10:35:09 pm »

On the contrary, the jobs bill may or may not be strengthened by the budget proposal Obama (is submitting/has submitted) that describes how it could be paid for.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: September 19, 2011, 10:44:44 pm »

I will say, though, that I do have a better job over here than I'm likely to get over there with any ease.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 852