Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853852 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5085 on: September 18, 2011, 02:27:25 pm »

what about diner? and more importantly, is long pork kosher?
I could be wrong about this, but I believe that Judaism uses a blacklist on which human meat does not appear (presumably for the same reason that Trinity College did not expressly forbid bears as pets). So it should be fine, as long as it's prepared in accordance with kosher methods (including blessing by a rabbi, I think?). Corrections to my misconceptions, if any, are welcome!

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. According to the first paragraph, which I'm going to go ahead and assume is legit, they actually have a whitelist and much of Leviticus is just redundancy or something.

CLARIFICATION: Yeah, here we go. Although this implies that beef is not kosher.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:36:45 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: September 18, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »

what about diner? and more importantly, is long pork kosher?
I could be wrong about this, but I believe that Judaism uses a blacklist on which human meat does not appear (presumably for the same reason that Trinity College did not expressly forbid bears as pets). So it should be fine, as long as it's prepared in accordance with kosher methods (including blessing by a rabbi, I think?). Corrections to my misconceptions, if any, are welcome!

Cannibalism is implied to be forbidden by Deuteronomy 14 and 21, in my opinion. It's not on the list of clean land animals, and you also can't eat anything you find dead, meaning you'd have to kill the person, which is in itself a sin. Of course, that part wouldn't apply to people who Judaism allows you to put to death, but Deuteronomy 14 might cover that anyway. Judaism also has specific ways in which you're supposed to dispose of/inter a corpse, and I highly doubt cannibalism falls within the bounds of those.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: September 18, 2011, 02:38:28 pm »

So it's alright if someone else kills them and gives you the corpse after burying it?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: September 18, 2011, 02:38:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure Judaism isn't fond of graverobbing. And before anyone asks, you're supposed to give someone a proper burial even if they're a criminal, so no eating murderers.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:40:32 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: September 18, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »

We have reached a strange place in this conversation.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: September 18, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »

Woah taken to a whole nother part of this place. Disregard this post

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: September 18, 2011, 02:50:27 pm »

I considered to reduce the meat in my diet, since I thought is was the source of my indigestion.
When I was in Poland, I didn't have that issue even once.

Hmm, might go ask a doctor.

Well, that post was about meat, so I guess close enough, right?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:15:06 pm by Mindmaker »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: September 18, 2011, 03:52:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure Judaism isn't fond of graverobbing. And before anyone asks, you're supposed to give someone a proper burial even if they're a criminal, so no eating murderers.
...It's not *technically* graverobbing if you never leave the grave with the corpse, is it?
Love, scriver~

Syreniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: September 18, 2011, 03:59:54 pm »

...It's not *technically* graverobbing if you never leave the grave with the corpse, is it?

In the hypothetical situation where you are obeying laws given to you by a allegedly omniscient being, I think arguing laws on a technicality doesn't work. :P

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: September 18, 2011, 04:03:56 pm »

No, but it is desecration of the dead. Plus, having dinner in an open grave is just gross.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: September 18, 2011, 04:33:31 pm »

No, but it is desecration of the dead. Plus, having dinner in an open grave is just gross.
Not if you are a D&D ghoul! Who is inexplicably Jewish in a fantasy setting with multiple, observable gods. Look, let's be honest, there are weirder character concepts.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:45:19 pm by Bauglir »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5096 on: September 18, 2011, 04:48:00 pm »

There are no strong words that are not derogatory in some manner. There is no way to be offensive without being offensive.

Asshat. As far as I know, it has never been used to describe some specific minority or disadvantaged group of people. Though I suppose there could be a culture somewhere that wears ass shaped hats that would offended that the word is used as an insult.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Syreniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: September 18, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »

There are no strong words that are not derogatory in some manner. There is no way to be offensive without being offensive.

Asshat. As far as I know, it has never been used to describe some specific minority or disadvantaged group of people. Though I suppose there could be a culture somewhere that wears ass shaped hats that would offended that the word is used as an insult.

A quick google search reveals only 7 results for "hat shaped like a donkey" (with the quotation marks), so I think that's safe.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: September 18, 2011, 04:56:27 pm »

That's still derogatory to the person you're saying it to. My statement wasn't specific to racial/cultural/sexual slurs, but it was specific to the act of being derogatory to someone. In that, it was too broad to matter within this discussion, as proven by Vector's ability to slide it aside with ease.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: September 18, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »

I could imagine any reference to the buttocks being rather painful to those who lost their child due to Mermaid syndrome
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 852