Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853645 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5010 on: September 16, 2011, 07:29:05 pm »

It speaks wonders for humanity as an animal that more of us aren't stark raving mad.
You sure about that?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: September 16, 2011, 07:34:01 pm »

It speaks wonders for humanity as an animal that more of us aren't stark raving mad.
You sure about that?
Everyone is sane, for sufficiently large values of sane...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: September 16, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »

You sure about that?
I just spent the last several hours watching a flickering pattern of brightly lit dots and flooding my body with a variety of stimulant chemicals after having a significant fraction of the liquid components of my blood drained in exchange for currency.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: September 16, 2011, 07:38:59 pm »

You donated blood and then took a cup of coffee (or beer, but that may be unwise after a blood donation) and watched TV?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: September 16, 2011, 07:41:17 pm »

Definitely not beer. That's not a stimulant, heh. Caffeine of some sort sounds about right, though. I'd probably recommend some nice hot tea.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: September 16, 2011, 07:44:17 pm »

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: September 16, 2011, 07:45:10 pm »

Well, sure, when you put it that way my crippling caffeine addiction dovetails perfectly well with watching movies and being supported by plasma donation, but it sounds a lot crazier when you just look at the individual actions phrased in a manner meant specifically to sound silly.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: September 16, 2011, 07:54:11 pm »

You sure about that?
Nobody is sane.
Try gettin drunk, it jrlpd

hrop-d

helpds
yeah helps that what i meant

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: September 16, 2011, 07:55:12 pm »

Everyone is sane, for sufficiently large blood alcohol contents?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: September 17, 2011, 02:23:02 am »

Food for thought.

If I have to read one more "but men get that, too!" I'm going to break something.  It's called hysteria for a reason.

... I'm really not meaning to be insensitive, but recentering these sorts of articles to a male perspective drives me a bit up the wall.  Men definitely endure this, too.  That doesn't mean that we don't have a serious cultural meme that women are just crazy, hysterical, over-sensitive, overreactive, and incomprehensible.  So please read in terms of that lens, not in terms of the fact that the author's approach was not universal.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: September 17, 2011, 02:38:44 am »

It's pretty fair to be wary of that sort of conditioning, I'd say. From what I've seen most (at least a fair minority, if nothing else) people that use it, use incredibly clumsily.

Not just clumsily, but everywhere. Schools, employers, pretty much life in general relies on a carrot-and-stick approach to just about everything.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: September 17, 2011, 02:40:30 am »

If I have to read one more "but men get that, too!"
Actually, I don't...

Though... I don't quite get how the author blames men for doing this intentionally.  I certainly don't go around thinking: "I wonder how I can push this person over the edge."  Of course, I don't ever say: "You look fat, just kidding."  Actually, I can't remember a time when I've ever ended a sentence/conversation that way...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: September 17, 2011, 02:44:06 am »

Yeah, I'm not sure that it's intentional.  Maybe more of an "I want to protect myself" reaction turning into something hurtful, than "Hah, I will hurt her now!"

I can tell you that the phenomenon (the structure, I mean) is real, as is the "man-splaining" cited in the comments (you know, people talking down to minorities about things the minorities already clearly know more about).  I thought it didn't exist, but I've run into it fairly recently.  Shows what I know.

(As for the people getting upset over minor things that was in your original post, Andir, I'll agree that I am extremely sensitive.  I'm sensitive and over-emotional for any gender, and folks [everyone] are constantly telling me to calm down and cool it.  So don't worry, it's okay)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:45:58 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: September 17, 2011, 03:16:29 am »

I can't really talk about the woman side of things, but it's even visible on the man side that it's mostly a woman problem.
I've been told "You're so sensitive. Stop being such a girl/Man up." way too often.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: September 17, 2011, 04:26:21 am »

I'd think that anyone who's spent more than 5 minutes on the internet would know that anyone who say "Just kidding" or similar after being called out is bullshitting.

As much as agree with the article, I don't like the implication that we have to take people's complaints at face value all the time when sometime they ARE overreacting.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 852