Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854532 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #4050 on: August 20, 2011, 04:39:49 pm »

The French are romantic and make good food?

I don't know if that's necessarily negated by their "reputation" for cowardice.
The former is subjective, and as for the latter, they are the most successful military power in european history.

But that wasn't the point I guess.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: August 20, 2011, 04:43:22 pm »

The former is subjective,
You just had to mention one of the defining qualities of a prejudice, no? :P

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: August 20, 2011, 04:45:59 pm »

they are the most successful military power in european history.
Pretty much all major European countries have qualified at one time or another as the most successful power of their time.

Speaking of which, I think it gives more relevant info to look at such events in terms of power blocks rather than individual nations...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: August 20, 2011, 04:47:46 pm »

Exception poor, little, patterns Belgium. Which is part of why I Like m'y country so much.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: August 20, 2011, 04:48:43 pm »

Before I saw your post I was about to make an edit mentioning that even Belgium, which is relatively small, had it's time as a major power. Didn't the king of Belgium jumpstart African colonialism back in the late 1800s?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: August 20, 2011, 04:49:06 pm »

"Of their time"? I'm speaking "of all time" here, sans future..

The former is subjective,
You just had to mention one of the defining qualities of a prejudice, no? :P
Uh... maybe? Dunno about that.

Exception poor, little, patterns Belgium. Which is part of why I Like m'y country so much.
You don't count as a major country then :P

Kidding. Neither do we, really.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: August 20, 2011, 04:50:01 pm »

*shrug*

I'd look up "Model Minorities," then.

Also, the essay called "Orientalism."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: August 20, 2011, 04:56:51 pm »

Before I saw your post I was about to make an edit mentioning that even Belgium, which is relatively small, had it's time as a major power. Didn't the king of Belgium jumpstart African colonialism back in the late 1800s?

Well, he did colonize the Congo. But it was the King's private property until his death, and after that everybody was already colonizing Africa. And the Congo was nothing like the French or English colonial Empire in Africa.

And of course, there is the matter of the six millions people we killed there in the most horrible ways. Strangely, all we learned in school was how that King built so many great buildings and monument, never explaining they were paid for by Congolese blood.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: August 20, 2011, 04:59:25 pm »

Strangely, all we learned in school was how that King built so many great buildings and monument, never explaining they were paid for by Congolese blood.
That reminds me of one of the most hilarious bits of history lessons. Apparently one of our monarchs built an entire wall around our capital. We all interpreted it as him doing it singlehandedly. It probably didn't help that he also was blind.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: August 20, 2011, 04:59:42 pm »

Nah, it held the Congo, but most of Africa was already divided by that time (Nobody had bothered with the Congo because it was a malaria-stricken hellhole and the locals were... aggressive at best). Hell, IIRC, most of Africa was colonized during the time of the East India companies as a source of slaves and other riches, as well as a safe haven for ships on their voyage to the east. The Dutch West India company also used it as a source of slaves which they would ship to South America, then load their ships with spices and gold there to ship it to Europe and pick some stuff up there to complete the triangle.

Edit: Well, appears I'm wrong here, depending on your definition of colonized. Colonies in Africa prior to the Napoleontic Wars were usually a system of trade outposts and ports. Most of Africa at that time was still divided along local kingdoms with the European powers mainly along the coasts. There were many agreements (and disagreements) with the local kingdoms and Europeans would just as often enlist local kingdoms to attack other Europeans as the local rulers would enlist European mercenaries to fight against other local kingdoms. It was apparently not until late in the 19th century that colonization as we know it came to fruition in Africa and most local kingdoms were subjugated (with the interesting exception of Ethiopia, which remained independent until World War 2)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:17:25 pm by Virex »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: August 20, 2011, 05:13:11 pm »

I think it's standard issue to whitewash the "golden ages" (and avoid exposing the kings and heroes from back then as crooks). It's interesting to see what impression the countries around you have of the heroes of your country (and, respectively, how are the heroes of other countries regarded in yours)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: August 20, 2011, 05:25:13 pm »

I know that over here, we ended up reading stuff like Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee in middle school (not all of us--we had to read one of a selection, and I didn't end up picking that one).  I don't think we covered the Rape of Nanking, though--I ended up learning about that from a friend.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: August 20, 2011, 06:29:50 pm »

Speaking of stereotypes, is anyone else bothered by this? The whole thing smells of old-fashioned stereotype/racial caricature to me (like gypsies in a lot of works), but I want to make sure I'm not being crazy. I mentioned it in the Diablo III thread.

It just annoys me to see racial or cultural caricatures used casually by things like games, and it seems to happen way too often. Interestingly enough, the "barbarian" RPG archetype itself seems to stem from old Roman stereotypes of people elsewhere in Europe; it's interesting to see how a basically 2000-year-old stereotype of a country's enemies could turn into something that isn't even seen as being rooted in reality (or any culture) at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: August 20, 2011, 06:34:34 pm »

The word Barbarian actually comes from the greek word Barbar, which they initially used for any foreigner, but it eventually became associated with the Persians. As the Greeks and the Persians had quite a bit of trouble over the years and the Greeks regarded the Persians as honorless and slavish, the word Barbar became an insult towards people seen as uncivilized. So, next time you use the word Barbarian, look around you to see if you're not accidentally insulting an Iranian (Or should that be Afghan? The Iranians claim to be descendants from the Persians, but the Ariers and their neighbors live in what's now Afghanistan.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:47:00 pm by Virex »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: August 20, 2011, 06:39:07 pm »

Same with vandals for that matter, originally just some germans who were a little rough when touring Rome in the 5th century.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 852