Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856105 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2700 on: August 05, 2011, 04:44:41 am »

I sincerely doubt the word "sodomy" appears in translations of the Old Testament when it comes to laws against homosexual activity.
That is my point: there's no "law" against homosexual activity in the bible AFAIK.

However, there is against sodomy. The word originates from the OT.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: August 05, 2011, 04:49:43 am »

You might want to list the verse where it originates (and which bible translation you're using).

If you're going to say "it specifically states sodomy" you'd better back it up with more than wikipedia.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: August 05, 2011, 04:53:51 am »

I sincerely doubt the word "sodomy" appears in translations of the Old Testament when it comes to laws against homosexual activity.
That is my point: there's no "law" against homosexual activity in the bible AFAIK.

No, the word comes from "Sodom", which wasn't even about homosexuality in the first place. If you can point me to a verse with the word "sodomy" in it, I'll be glad to hear it.

If you want to actually discuss homosexuality in the bible instead of talking about completely irrelevant stuff like this, then actually do so and bring up the verses that say things like "a man shall not lay with another man as he does with a woman", and so forth. See: http://www.religioustolerance.org/homglance.htm
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: August 05, 2011, 05:05:53 am »

A Finnish comic focused on puns joked on that command...

"Of course we won't lay with another men like we do with women! It must be done in a whole different fashion."

Afterwards, a few of my friends have seriously insisted that the verse doesn't refer to gay sex but literally doing it "like you do with a woman".
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: August 05, 2011, 05:10:02 am »

No, I do not, as it won't help.

I recommend you read that article, which - considering the length - you didn't, in stead of a simple verse. For instance, there's examples where the King James translation states "sodomite" where the original Hebrew doesn't. So there's a lot of translation stuff going on, as well, plus that it's called sodomy after the people who lived in the town of Sodom. The acts that these people (or a group of them at least) performed was sodomy, but now reading that I have to admit it's unclear whether the act itself is frowned upon, or the fact that they wanted to rape two Angels.

So yeah, even sodomy is bible-legal according to some readings.

FakeEdit: Oh, ninja'd. Nevermind, I'm still letting this stand, but that link by G-Flex is better, I admit. So yeah, I made a boo-boo.

Coming back from this detour to the original point: the bible does reference male-on-male sex, but that doesn't "make you gay".

I guess I'm just wondering aloud on how old the actual concept of "homosexual" as a label is.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: August 05, 2011, 05:24:02 am »

I didn't read that article because I was more concerned about your claim that "sodomy" is mentioned as a thing in the Bible, which it isn't. Yeah, the word "sodomy" comes from "sodom"/"sodomite", but that has little to do with the Bible itself.

It's pretty damn hard to tell what the exact authorial intent regarding homosexual behavior is in the Bible, since we're so removed from that time and culture, and often the words used are ones that nobody even knows the exact meaning of.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: August 05, 2011, 05:27:42 am »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: August 05, 2011, 05:55:59 am »

There was a particularily scandalous case a few years, in which it was discovered that a journal published by a major scientific editorial was wholly faux. A ... prosthethics, I think.... company had paid the editorial to put together the thing in order to promote it's products.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: August 05, 2011, 10:15:26 am »

Freud invented homosexuality.

Sodomy refers to all "nonstandard" sex, not just anal sex like it tends to nowadays.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: August 05, 2011, 12:55:32 pm »

There really isn't and can't be a conclusive right answer, but I read those books long ago and totally thought he was gay....
Have you considered the cultural aspect? In Ancient Greece, "doing it" with men didn't make you gay.

I think that whole gay/nongay dichotomy is much more recent, labels that are just inventions.

[Just sorta looks at you for a second].

No... No it's not. See, we humans (including me) are arrogant little things. We think what we call some natural process matters. Whatever you call it, sexual orientation has existed on a continual scale since there was sex. This is why it is still present in nature and many animals are gay. None of those gay animals have "cultures" that shift over time like ours do. The fact that sometimes there are beings who like the same sex only and those who like the opposite sex only and those who exist somewhere in between on a sliding continuum is a natural fact that existed long before us and will continue to exist long after us.

That said, a portion of what you said may be valid. We simply don't know what Achilles was: gay straight, somewhere in between, or asexual. It is entirely possible he was any of these things. That is, he could be anywhere on the scale or simply not on the scale (asexual) The objective truth of what Achilles was is unknowable, even what he called himself may not matter (I continually called myself straight for many years [chuckle]), because we can't know what was inside his mind and heart....

Thus even if he "did it," with men, that would mean he was either gay, or bi.

Again, this is what I think based upon what I have before me, which is all anyone else can say whatever their view is on topic given that we can't know objectively.

I seem to be the "worst kind of sinner," in this regard. I know the bible better than most people ever will. I know exactly what it says, consciously disregard it, do exactly what it says not to, and declare the book itself wrongful in a great many respects. I frankly don't care what it says because I don't subscribe to this religion. I am GLBT, namely I'm trans and could never picture myself with a woman like that at all.... I don't think I could do it and would probably just cry and sob if I was forced to.

Unfortunately, there is exactly such a law by the text as written: Leviticus 18:22. Its translated differently but its always more or less the same:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cross reference:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Furthermore a specific sentence is specified for this crime: death.

Leviticus 20:13 "'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Sadly, there are a lot of parts to the bible that by as written translation are against being gay. Leviticus particularly is a cranky guy who lays down laws against lots of things we don't follow. I don't really want to post them all here, but suffice it to say, I don't care about any of them personally.
I didn't read that article because I was more concerned about your claim that "sodomy" is mentioned as a thing in the Bible, which it isn't. Yeah, the word "sodomy" comes from "sodom"/"sodomite", but that has little to do with the Bible itself.

It's pretty damn hard to tell what the exact authorial intent regarding homosexual behavior is in the Bible, since we're so removed from that time and culture, and often the words used are ones that nobody even knows the exact meaning of.

Meh.... I don't know that the exact word "Sodomy" appears in the bible per se, at least not in the "originals." However, depending on the translation I'm sure it appears in one of the interpretations/translations. Who put it there and if their interpretation/translation is "accurate" is another question. I honestly don't feel like looking for it.

The act itself is referred to. See above.

Also you quoting http://www.religioustolerance.org/homglance.htm was a pretty good source

Virex, that works if money were just one thing. It's not. If you buy stocks, you can borrow money based on the value of that stock, using it as collateral and buy more with that. Everyone does this. The problem arises when your stock crashes, your collateral is worth less than your loans, and you have to pay more money than you have. If everyone just invested the money they had, there'd be no problem, it's just that we're inventing "money" (value might be a better word but it's used as money) left and right, based on speculation on the value of goods, and if that fails, the invented money fails. And that can go fast, and the amount of invented money outweighs the "real" money more and more each year.

It's like borrowing money from the future, based on the projection of current growth. Here's something more on the amount and types of amounts of money.

This is called a "Margin Call." A Margin Call is when you borrow money on stock you own to buy more stock, but that already owned stock went down in value, so your broker makes a "Margin Call" demanding you pay up the difference.... It sucks.

The problem with the current valuation of stocks and commodities is that it's largely based on opinion. I know all the arguments about how owner's equity, supply/demand and that are computed and here's why they all fail. The stock price just dropped straight down.... Yesterday, the stock was worth a lot; now it is certainly not.... What happened? What is this Atlantis, lost in a single day and night of misfortune? I think a lot of people are wondering where exactly all that money goes when something "magically" loses value overnight. It's a fair question but we really don't have an answer....
If the value of goods plummets, nothing happens to the money. The amount of money in the world is, seen on the scale of say a few days, roughly constant (it grows slowly and the effect is IIRC only noticeable on a scale of months unless some country fires up the presses). This means that if you buy stocks and then the stocks plummet, your assets lost value, but you didn't lose any money, because you already spent the money at some prior point to get the stocks. What this ultimately means is that if the value of money remains roughly constant (no hyperinflation), yet a significant portion of the population experiences a drop in purchasing power, then the only possible explanation is that there's a buildup of money somewhere else, for example at the bank account of clever stock brokers.

Ok see, here's where I'm not sure we're seeing eye to eye. I'm not talking about the purchasing power of money, inflation, overall (aggregate) money supply or anything like that.

If you're one of those people lucky enough to have a 401K or other retirement fund to complain about, you've noticed it has probably lost a lot of value. You can call it "money" or "value" but the point is you lost a lot of it.... It's kind of insane that people could lose so much in a single day. I think this is evidence of some kind of flaw in valuation. The massive risk and actuality of loss specifically is the issue.

It is the same product or company (means of making a product) that it was yesterday. A person is reasonable to ask why it is worth so much less (or more) one day than the next. Valuation.... Same thing with houses, it's the same house it was when a person bought it for lots of money, except now... it just isn't "worth," lots of money. Something is fundamentally screwy.

for example at the bank account of clever stock brokers.
Yup, that's one possibly valid interpretation of where it went....

This is actually surprisingly well done and says a lot: (especially the opening scene):
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e03-margaritaville
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:04:40 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: August 05, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »

Virex, that works if money were just one thing. It's not. If you buy stocks, you can borrow money based on the value of that stock, using it as collateral and buy more with that. Everyone does this. The problem arises when your stock crashes, your collateral is worth less than your loans, and you have to pay more money than you have. If everyone just invested the money they had, there'd be no problem, it's just that we're inventing "money" (value might be a better word but it's used as money) left and right, based on speculation on the value of goods, and if that fails, the invented money fails. And that can go fast, and the amount of invented money outweighs the "real" money more and more each year.

It's like borrowing money from the future, based on the projection of current growth. Here's something more on the amount and types of amounts of money.

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSGp2Hh1jQ4
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: August 05, 2011, 01:12:28 pm »

"To buy a house, the Spanish Dream!"

Gee, we were told this was the American Dream. We're sorta screwed now too. :P

In fact I'm pretty sure we have a strikingly similar story here. lol

Speaking of commodities, have they finally figured out how screwed we are?
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Oil-falls-as-investors-focus-apf-1154586289.html?x=0
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:18:58 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: August 05, 2011, 01:20:37 pm »

I gotta object to this, though. That implies that gay men who "did it" with women are actually either bi, or straight. And I think there are enough gay men who are married with children to put the lie to that sort of logic.

The fact is, culture has a huge impact on this sort of stuff. Humans, especially guys, like sex, and there's a hell of a lot more wrapped up in that than gender encompasses. It is perfectly possible for a person to have, and even enjoy, regular sex with someone they are not attracted to, and it is perfectly possible to be attracted to someone for completely cultural reasons. It's even possible for the many influences that get wrapped up in this sort of stuff to change over time.

I can think of plenty of cultural situations where any attempted application of "gay" or "straight" would just be absurd - not because the preferences they are supposed to categorize don't exist (of course they do), but because those terms imply a heck of a lot more than that, and are loaded with a whole bunch of cultural context, and just because a prisoner enjoys frequent and exclusive sex with men doesn't make him gay or even bi. Whenever you're categorizing or classifying, you're going to get situations where your labels just aren't adequate encapsulate the nuances of the situation. It doesn't change the facts, its just a natural limitation of categorization - by definition, it is a simplification, much like a scientific model.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: August 05, 2011, 01:42:02 pm »

I gotta object to this, though. That implies that gay men who "did it" with women are actually either bi, or straight. And I think there are enough gay men who are married with children to put the lie to that sort of logic.

The fact is, culture has a huge impact on this sort of stuff. Humans, especially guys, like sex, and there's a hell of a lot more wrapped up in that than gender encompasses. It is perfectly possible for a person to have, and even enjoy, regular sex with someone they are not attracted to, and it is perfectly possible to be attracted to someone for completely cultural reasons. It's even possible for the many influences that get wrapped up in this sort of stuff to change over time.

I can think of plenty of cultural situations where any attempted application of "gay" or "straight" would just be absurd - not because the preferences they are supposed to categorize don't exist (of course they do), but because those terms imply a heck of a lot more than that, and are loaded with a whole bunch of cultural context, and just because a prisoner enjoys frequent and exclusive sex with men doesn't make him gay or even bi. Whenever you're categorizing or classifying, you're going to get situations where your labels just aren't adequate encapsulate the nuances of the situation. It doesn't change the facts, its just a natural limitation of categorization - by definition, it is a simplification, much like a scientific model.

I... don't really see how you think it implies that. Let's see if I can boil the logic down to bare points of CRAC. I am truly trying to understand what you mean, rather than put words in your mouth. I ask you if I would be accurately advocating your position if I said:

Here's what I think you're seeing, please inform me if I am wrong:
[Conclusion] You believe that my model is incorrect because it applies a rule saying that having sex with a person the same sex as you means you are gay or bi; conversely, it implies you are "straight or bi" if you have sex with the opposite sex. [Rule 1] Merely having sex with someone does not indicate you are or are not straight gay or bi.  [Rule 2] You can have sex with someone and not be attracted to them in the least. [Application] Here, we have a hypothetical person who may have had sex with men/women, but that does not necessarily mean they enjoyed that sex with men/women. [Conclusion] Thus, you believe my model is incorrect for the reason above.

[Conclusion] Culture matters in human sexuality. [Rule] The "labels" of gay/bi/straight (Homo/Dual/Hetro sexuality) are modern concepts that are incomplete at best and inapplicable in whole or part. [Analysis] Here, the human beings are capable of a wide variety of behaviors, some of which reflect their attractions sexually and some of which don't. The mere act of intercourse does not necessarily equate or even correlate to orientation. Said behaviors apply layers of complexity and socially originated rituals that do not fit into the gay/bi/straight labeling system  [Conclusion] Culture matters in human sexuality.

Am I in the ballpark? Note: All that is required for me to be wrong about the above is for you to say so, because you're the only one who can say it is what you meant or not.

As for the same sex prisoner (rape?) example, they don't have any other options and that's a desperation move. Achilles had tons of options. When you have sex with the same sex by choice repeatedly even when presented with other alternatives and miss having sex with that person of the same sex when you can't anymore, that would mean gay/bi in my book. Here, Achilles had tons of other options, rejected them, had sex with someone of the same sex (arguable but bear with me for a second), and got totally pissed when the person was gone (killed dead). Thus gay/bi? (assuming for a second he did do those things with guys).

[Edit: I really hope that didn't come off as pretentious of me. It didn't when I was typing it and thinking of it in my head. I was all like, "I'll give this the most attention I can and see if I can get it into my head." but now I read it and I'm hoping it doesn't come off as me being an ass. If it does, I apologize and would like to state this was never my intention.]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:00:42 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: August 05, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »

Yeah, we have to remember that modern conceptions of sexual orientation ("gay", "straight", "bi", etc.) are very loaded terms, carrying with them assumptions about how gender and sexuality work, and that these assumptions do not necessarily apply even very well to people in our own modern culture, never mind one that existed in another place and time.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 852