Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856099 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2731 on: August 05, 2011, 05:47:30 pm »

That... Fox page looks like an Onion parody.  Seriously.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: August 05, 2011, 05:53:34 pm »

Yes, Greek culture has many different kinds of love, and most of them are non-sexual.  Example--"agape," the spiritual love one would have of a mentor or god...  Here are the four types: Eros, Storge, Philia, Agape.  Some of these involve sex, some don't, many have it optional, loads don't give a crap about gender or try to break things down into "orientations" (if you've got Eros for girls only but your Philia has a side of gay intercrural sex once in a while as part of sealing your brotherly bond, what do you call it?).

And of course, those terms were (likely) just the way popular intellectuals at the time understood and categorized it, which not necessarily everyone agreed with, and wasn't necessarily the full story back then either. It's not as if people back there/then were any better at self-assessment than they are here and today, I'm sure.

On another note, "Obama's Hip-Hop BBQ" sounds like it could be the name of a bizarre family-friendly cash-in musical album, Will Smith style.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 05, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »

Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition.

The Onion's been looking a lot like real news nowadays.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: August 05, 2011, 06:37:17 pm »

It's never a good thing when major news corporations hit Poe's Law saturation and comedy news shows give a clear and accurate depiction of events.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: August 05, 2011, 08:09:28 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention the best part.

Fox News ran that "hip-hop" news article about how Obama was taking some time off for his birthday, and besides the thinly-veiled "we're too dumb to notice we're being racist/you're racist for pointing out that we're racist!" racism contained therein, much of the comments were naturally complaints about Obama taking a day off when the country is hurting - and Congress is on a month break.

So yes, The Onion is pretty much spot on.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: August 05, 2011, 08:13:14 pm »

Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition.

The Onion's been looking a lot like real news nowadays.
I am still laughing at this.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: August 05, 2011, 10:00:54 pm »

An exploration of the rhetoric of the "trans" label
It was an interesting read, it brought up a few points I hadn't thought of before. In my mind, the thing that's wrong with the "trans" label isn't that it is invalid in itself, it that it doesn't have a counterpart except "normal", and thus automatically becomes not-normal. Which is kinda what she was saying, I think, I'm very mindnumb from unsleep right now. I don't think the "trans" label should go away, though, I think it needs a neutral counterpart in the Great Public Hivemind that doesn't put it in a normal/abnormal relationship. That is

Also, unrelated to the topic but from the blogpost, which I had a thought about:
Because I don’t identify as a trans woman, and I don’t “identify” as a woman.  I simply am a woman
To me, "identifying" and "being" is the same thing, to the person who is doing the identifying (thus being). I think the whole hangup on "identification" comes from that cispeople are assumed/labelled to be one gender (hastily dubbed physcological by me; e.g., for me, male) while transgendered are forced into two genders (physical/biological and psychological - male who identifies as female). The thing is, in my mind, that it is the cis definition that is wrong - I am not a "male" to their "male who identifies as female", I am (physically/biologically) a male who (psychologically) identifies as a male. But nobody ever bothers to include the psychological part of cisgender gender, making it seem like transpeople are different because of their "identificationing" while there is an equal amount of identificationing being done in cispeople's minds.

I hope I make sense. I don't feel as if I do right now. I've spent like one and a half hour trying to put my thoughts into words and it's gone from night to morning outside. I'm gonna get some sleep now.
Love, scriver~

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: August 05, 2011, 10:24:31 pm »

Yes, Greek culture has many different kinds of love, and most of them are non-sexual.  Example--"agape," the spiritual love one would have of a mentor or god...  Here are the four types: Eros, Storge, Philia, Agape.  Some of these involve sex, some don't, many have it optional, loads don't give a crap about gender or try to break things down into "orientations" (if you've got Eros for girls only but your Philia has a side of gay intercrural sex once in a while as part of sealing your brotherly bond, what do you call it?).

And, well, Truean, breaking people down into bi, straight, gay only trisects the spectrum of sexual orientation, rather than leaving us with an understanding of "mostly straight," "mostly gay," whatever.  I'll continue to say that I'm "intellectualsexual," by which I really mean (I guess) that I feel lots and lots of Agape and Philia for teacher figures, but not that much on the Eros scale for anyone.  There's a really huge range of experiences.

Damn, I think Vector may have blown my mind. :P
I don't... hum.... [thinks about this for a while]. I guess I could make the argument that the whole idea of gay/bi/straight only applies to eros and that "phila" that involves any form of sex crosses over into eros.... I believe I might make this argument reasonably.... Then again I am confronted with the fact that I really might not understand this enough to fully comprehend the ramifications of what this means.... My lack of understanding saddens me.... [sigh]

Actually, thank you for posting this Vector: http://www.questioningtransphobia.com/?p=3865.

It is incredibly confusing to me, but perhaps this is a good thing. My entire worldview is all about categories, and the law is too. You can't be "sorta guilty." Or "Kinda innocent," because the system couldn't work that way. You might not be guilty of crime A but rather the lesser included crime of B or no crime at all.... Categories... all over the place....

Same thing with my view of gender.... I just can't really fit as a male at all and I've truly tried, crying when I failed.... I can do so only as a lie with a ton of conscious effort to maintain said lie, but only as a fraud. The notion of a "non-binary" sex/gender is specifically troubling for me, because I only feel ok when I drop the lie and let myself be female.... This is even moreso true with intersex individuals, who may be born with both ... [ahem] "indications" and organs of males and females. These poor individuals have what must be an immensely difficult time in life.

One of my undergrad majors was psych (the other economics) and I trained under the DSM IV TR (A physician's desk reference manual for psychological clinical conditions). I pretty much fit GID (Gender Identity Disorder) dead on and I've had two therapists say so.... [I can't currently do jack about it but that's a different issue]. This article doesn't mesh with that at all.... I'm not sure what to think about that.

Trans = "Mismatch" of gender/sex instead of "not normal?"
I do Identify as a Transwoman and the "trans" to the therapists I've talked too tends to mean having your inward gender not match your outward sexual appearance. The "trans" seems to refer to the condition, or the "mismatch" and I've heard some say that after you transition, you are a "woman," and no longer "trans," except for purposes of disclosure to potential partners. It was basically the "Mismatch" between your gender and your sex, rather than necessarily  "not normal."

What the heck I am:
People and their terminology confuse the heck out of me. I've been called gay, because of the whole liking men thing. I've been called a "straight woman" because the logic goes, I'm transsexual and a woman who likes men and thus straight?

I dunno. This is conflicting with a lot of what I was taught and found some comfort in. Clearly, my comfort or lack thereof does not determine the validity of something....[thinks for a long time]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:27:41 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: August 05, 2011, 10:27:59 pm »

Non-binary doesn't mean that you don't get to be a straight woman, Truean.

It just means that everyone who identifies with "somewhere in-between" gets to be a person, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: August 05, 2011, 10:32:13 pm »

Non-binary doesn't mean that you don't get to be a straight woman, Truean.

It just means that everyone who identifies with "somewhere in-between" gets to be a person, too.

And the absolute last thing I'd want to do is deny them that, because I know exactly how much that sucks.... I've felt that pain.... I don't think anyone should have to feel it.

I think I might need to read a lot more on this topic until I understand it.

I'm sorry if I came off as anything other than sincerely confused.... Surely you can see the cause of my distress, "if my understanding of this is wrong, then what does that mean, and what does that mean as applied to me...?" I don't know that I am a "straight woman," or how I fit on this scale. Other people tell me I am. All I know is that I only like men that way and should be a girl. I don't know what that places me as.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:36:14 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: August 05, 2011, 10:39:06 pm »

Generally, terminology-wise, one orients sexuality in reference to your gender.  Gender is considered more fundamental than biological sex.  As such, given that you identify as a woman, preferring the opposite gender exclusively would mean that you would usually be called straight, just as any cis-gendered woman would.

But what you call yourself is fundamentally up to you.  I shouldn't have made assumptions.

To clear up some of the rest, I'd strongly recommend reading the first chapter of Judith Butler's book called Gender Trouble.  She's a fairly famous feminist who teaches at my university.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:29 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_Trouble

Thank you. Please pardon me about this. I've only ever seriously talked to psychologists about this part of myself in any depth at all. Thus, this is really new to me.

I honestly appreciate this and will try to get a copy.

Also, I didn't mean to imply you made any assumptions about me; I just mean I'm mixed up and don't know.... It's confusing.

[hug] No one has ever tried to help me like this. Thank you. :)

Shit, did I repay your help by derailing your thread? :( x infinity
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:10:31 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: August 05, 2011, 11:41:56 pm »

Don't worry =)

This is pretty short, for a derail, and isn't anything you should worry about.  Just take care of yourself.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: August 06, 2011, 04:15:21 am »

Just one question. WHY DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW OF ALL THESE THINGS?!?!?!
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 852