Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855861 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #2625 on: August 03, 2011, 10:31:09 pm »

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/steve-king-covering-birth-control-will-make-us-a-dying-civilization.php

According to Wikipedia this man has had no higher education, come from the midwest, and worked in construction.
Is it THAT surprising he perceive how the scenario he described is just silly?

*edit, he is also apparently Roman Catholic, and supporting birth control would be against church doctrine.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:32:43 pm by PsyberianHusky »
Thank you based dwarf.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: August 03, 2011, 10:39:36 pm »

I think the most hilarious thing about it is that he's got his dystopias wrong.

He's looking for Brave New World ::)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: August 03, 2011, 10:41:40 pm »

I think the most hilarious thing about it is that he's got his dystopias wrong.

He's looking for Brave New World ::)
Considering how much I cherish both of those books, I feel sad I missed that.
Thank you based dwarf.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: August 04, 2011, 06:29:56 am »

Considering how much I respect him as an author, I feel doublesad.

e: children, learn your lesson. Read the goddamn links before commenting.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: August 04, 2011, 06:36:38 am »

Is your sarcasm filter busted?
Meh, cynicism never saved the world.
I refuse to acknowledge it.

Anyway, I missed the part where an ultrasound was mandatory before having an abortion. I agree that that's way out of line, although I still can't find that in the linked article.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: August 04, 2011, 07:29:05 am »

I did, it just didn't hit me that it was Huxley who had that premise.
I am allowed to be non-astute .
Thank you based dwarf.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: August 04, 2011, 08:37:55 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/man-interned-homosexuality-nazis-dies-98-113303335.html

Further proof that camps can't make you straight. 98 Years old and right through hell, but hey, maybe it's a phase he's going through? Gee, don't stupid old people say "Back in my day there weren't any gays!" You know what else they didn't have in your day? Artificial hips, shut it....

For the record, that actual disutopia was caused by all the same negative attitudes against people who were "different." None of the wolf criers deriding birth control or any other thing have the slightest hint how close they are for all the wrong and opposite reasons to being right about the causes of disutopia.

This makes about as much sense as Playboy objectifying women while saying they are about "female empowerment." Look Hugh, if you run a smut publication, just cop to it. No one with more than two brain cells firing is buying this crap story. Then again, perhaps you aren't tailoring your explanation to that crowd...? The majority of your readers aren't in it for the articles....

As for the spiderman thing, the comment sections of websites exist largely for racists to hide in while making their slurs and this is no exception. Cartoons actually really matter to society and anyone who doesn't agree with me needs to see that Disney made a jive-talking character from the south called Jim Crow....

Pictured: racism, child edition.

Honestly, search youtube for the Dumbo Crow Scene and tell me that shit isn't racist? The character's actually name is Jim Crow. Not just Jim, not Jim the crow, straight up Jim Crow.... This wasn't a standard naming convention either for Disney. It wasn't "Dumbo Elephant," Abu Monkey, Iago Parrot, Simba Lion etc. There was no reason to call the character the type of animal it was in Disney's standard thinking because that was blatantly obvious.... Jim Crow....

Seriously, we JUST NOW got a black Disney Princess.... It doesn't take little girls long to figure out that none of the main characters look like they do. About damn time. The spiderman thing is probably roughly the same for boys. I can see a legit argument for keeping traditions and even for not repackaging standard cookie cutter heros. Why the hell does there have to be a "new" spiderman at all? It's just like everything in movies these days: a reboot, sequel or otherwise rehash of an old idea. We could really use some creativity and some new heroes for our generation at some point and they can't all be straight white males or the occasionally badly written token stereotypes.

I just don't know. Kids need someone to admire and look up to. That's sort of the real deal behind the whole "hero" stitck. Its a method for teaching kids values. Spiderman was "with great power comes great responsibility." I think we need heroes who also happen to be girls or non white or occasionally [gasp] non straight. It shouldn't necessarily be the main focus, but at some point it says something that all the iconic heroes we all know are the same demographic. The only semi exception was Wonder Woman, a sort of cheap knockoff 90% of the time.

God damn it, if you're a major publishing house you should really invest in some decent, creative writers. The new crop seem to only be able to rehash shit. Where are we going with this long term? What's next, the rehash of the rehash? And after that?

Also Americans need to shut up and reopen mental facilities because this keeps happening:
http://news.yahoo.com/homeless-mans-death-arrest-outrages-father-081021492.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:01:12 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: August 04, 2011, 08:48:46 am »

I did, it just didn't hit me that it was Huxley who had that premise.
I am allowed to be non-astute .

I was talking about me, actually. I immediately assumed it was the writer Steven King before clicking the link.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: August 04, 2011, 08:55:23 am »

Seriously, we JUST NOW got a black Disney Princess....
Now we wait for a M2F trans Disney princess?

That one is actually a serious question to Truean, by the by. Where does "accurate representation of the entire populace" end, and would you argue that a M2F princess should be included? And/or that two princesses actually marry each other and live happily ever after?

I've got a princess-addict at home, btw, and would not mind if they did and she was exposed to that, but am more wary of how much you can force companies to be PC.

Come to think of it, I'd welcome a trans princess. As long as she's a bit androgynous and pretty, don't want it to set a negative stereotype. It'd blur the whole gender thing and confuse the shit out of my toddler, who is now in some kind of hyper-polarisation phase, where she's aware of gender and very different in approach to boys and men versus girls and women, but I just like confusing people I guess.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: August 04, 2011, 08:56:01 am »

I just don't know. Kids need someone to admire and look up to. That's sort of the real deal behind the whole "hero" stitck. Its a method for teaching kids values. Spiderman was "with great power comes great responsibility." I think we need heroes who also happen to be girls
Considering the likes of Catwoman and the X-men chicks (I refuse to call them women until their bodies are brought back in proportion), I don't think that's such a great idea.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: August 04, 2011, 09:01:16 am »

We can't have female heroes because the comic artists aren't good at drawing women?  Oh, that makes sense.

For your lesbian princesses, I recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena.

For a sort of princess story with trans characters, I recommend the movie Ma Vie en Rose, which is French.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: August 04, 2011, 09:03:04 am »

We can't have female heroes because the comic artists aren't good at drawing women?  Oh, that makes sense.
We can't have have female heroes until the barrelheads at Marvel realize that there is a pretty clear difference between a woman and a sex doll.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:44 am »

True.

... For a super-hero story with actual female heroes, I recommend Powers.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:54 am »

I think we need heroes who also happen to be girls or non white or occasionally [gasp] non straight.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:02 am »

... For a super-hero story with actual female heroes, I recommend Powers.

Have you read Runaways?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 852