Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857406 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #930 on: June 22, 2011, 07:16:26 pm »

I don't know which medicines make everyone dead on the inside, because supposedly most of my country is addicted to antidepressants, and the one time I took the wrong medicine, it was an antidepressant, and it made me feel great. Like too much coffee at once.

I'm not doing it again, though, because I usually feel great anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 22, 2011, 07:18:38 pm »

I don't know which medicines make everyone dead on the inside, because supposedly most of my country is addicted to antidepressants, and the one time I took the wrong medicine, it was an antidepressant, and it made me feel great. Like too much coffee at once.
Well, antidepressants are intended to make people undepressed, they just have this nasty habit of not working on depressed people and making them even more depressed. You are not depressed, so it worked and took you from normal to euphoric instead of depressed to normal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 22, 2011, 07:25:48 pm »

And, of course, auditing women's tennis for "too much grunting."

This is ridiculous. Almost everyone I've played tennis with grunts.

Well, antidepressants are intended to make people undepressed, they just have this nasty habit of not working on depressed people and making them even more depressed. You are not depressed, so it worked and took you from normal to euphoric instead of depressed to normal.

The previous quote is ridiculous, but this is plain silly. Why would the medicine work TURNBDWAYS? I don't believe all medicine companies are evil and yadda yadda black helicopters blah blah but I gotta admit that I think we're using too many drugs these days in general. They're not a fix-all solution to serious disorders.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 22, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »

The previous quote is ridiculous, but this is plain silly. Why would the medicine work TURNBDWAYS?
I'm not a pharmacist, so I don't know exactly why antidepressants fail to work or cause the opposite effect. Part of it may not even be the drug itself, but pressure on the depressed person to get better. This makes them feel as if not being happy is failure, and their brain produces more depressants that counteract the dosage of antidepressants, so either nothing changes or it gets worse.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 22, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

Oh!  Speaking of tennis, anyone seen the Badminton news...?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/27/badminton-women-players-skirts-dresses

Paisan Rangsikitpho, the US deputy president of the Badminton World Federation – which has only two female members on its 25-member board – denies the new ruling is "an attempt to use sex to promote the sport".

"We just want them to look feminine and have a nice presentation so women will be more popular," he said. "Interest is declining. Some women compete in oversize shorts and long pants and appear baggy, almost like men.
Partly, I'm just amazed at how you can act surprised that your ruling was criticised as sexist and then say two staggeringly sexist things immediately afterwards.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42:22 pm »

And, of course, auditing women's tennis for "too much grunting."

This is ridiculous. Almost everyone I've played tennis with grunts.

Have you watched Women's Tennis recently? It's pretty fashionable to scream every time you hit the ball. Not grunt, but scream.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 22, 2011, 07:45:48 pm »

Yes, I'm disgusted by all three of the articles.  I'm especially disturbed by all the apologia.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 22, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »

Oh!  Speaking of tennis, anyone seen the Badminton news...?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/27/badminton-women-players-skirts-dresses

Paisan Rangsikitpho, the US deputy president of the Badminton World Federation – which has only two female members on its 25-member board – denies the new ruling is "an attempt to use sex to promote the sport".

"We just want them to look feminine and have a nice presentation so women will be more popular," he said. "Interest is declining. Some women compete in oversize shorts and long pants and appear baggy, almost like men.
Partly, I'm just amazed at how you can act surprised that your ruling was criticised as sexist and then say two staggeringly sexist things immediately afterwards.

I don't think "sexist" means what they think it means.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 22, 2011, 07:49:24 pm »

Have you watched Women's Tennis recently? It's pretty fashionable to scream every time you hit the ball. Not grunt, but scream.

Women's Tennis: So hardcore it's almost PAINFUL.

The best part is not the sexism but, but how he says they're not using sex to promote the sport, then deliberately says how "interest is declining" due to the lack of (implied) sex appeal (not wearing short enough pants, etc.)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 22, 2011, 07:57:41 pm »

Who was it anyhow that thought it necessary for women tennis players to be mandated to wear skirts that have shortened over time? Or body clinging yoga pants? At least speedos somewhat serve a purpose in swimming, even though we know full body wetsuits are better now.

People should be allowed to make whatever noises they want while playing sports.

EDIT: Back on anti-depressants: Brain biology and chemistry is a total crap shoot and we barely understand what does what. Well, we know that seratonin and dopamine chemicals causes happiness, but the levels have to be balanced.

I have firsthand knowledge of this because I was placed on various anti-depressants, seratonin boosters when I was diagnosed as "depressed". Turned out I had bi-polar disorder so whoops, the heightened seratonin levels made me be EDGY and almost pushed me over the suicidal border I was teetering on.

I am now on mild levels of seratonin inhibiters and strangely enough, I feel better. My previous moods were similar to someone on say, MDMA/ecstasy and going through withdrawl all the time. As my brain spiked seratonin and then the levels dropped, ranging in the euphoric happiness and mind-crushing depression that bipolar disorder is known for.

I don't get ragey though, unlike others. Just incredible feelings of how I and humans can do anything and the vast beauty in the universe as it was meant to be followed by how we all tread a meaningless existence where our lives are filled with silly bullshit that we struggle to give meaning to and how we will all die alone.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:15:53 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 22, 2011, 08:04:34 pm »

At least speedos somewhat serve a purpose in swimming, even though we know full body wetsuits are better now.
I await the day when an Olympic swimmer just decides to forgo finding the best possible swimwear and shows up naked. Cue insane controversy proceedings. Of coruse, for all I know this has already happened at some point in the past.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 22, 2011, 08:08:05 pm »

The previous quote is ridiculous, but this is plain silly. Why would the medicine work TURNBDWAYS?
I'm not a pharmacist, so I don't know exactly why antidepressants fail to work or cause the opposite effect. Part of it may not even be the drug itself, but pressure on the depressed person to get better. This makes them feel as if not being happy is failure, and their brain produces more depressants that counteract the dosage of antidepressants, so either nothing changes or it gets worse.

Anti-psychotic drugs can turn you psychotic. See the colombine massacre. One of the boys (kliebold? or the other one, can't be bothered looking it up) was heavily over-medicating himself with the pills (they were clearly not helping). A girl in my area killed herself after being put on Zoloft anti-depressant, she went from being just depressed to suicidally depressed and irrational over several months of taking the drugs, saw that on the news.

We just don't know enough about how these chemicals react with the individual brain to say they always have such-and-such an effect.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:13:19 pm by Reelyanoob »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 22, 2011, 08:11:39 pm »

That does not make any sense. How could an Anti-depressant make you more depressed? Why would a medicine with a side effect worse than the thing it is trying to treat be cleared by the FDA?

((Hope people still aren't angry about that whole argument. As long as i'm not used as an example, y'know?))

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 22, 2011, 08:14:27 pm »

ggamer: go back and read my edit.

I almost took my own life on while on zoloft too.

The brain is a highly complex blob of electro-chemicals balanced within a meatbag. Slight changes affect thoughts, moods, emotions, feelings, actions.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 852