Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 182990 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available
« Reply #1290 on: November 26, 2012, 03:33:57 pm »

Actually, the game asks me to choose between local files and Cloud files every time I start it and they're not synced. Maybe that doesn't happen for everyone?

But yes, the overall Cloud support is a little funky.

I think that's a relatively new feature. It was just added right before they nerfed Egyptian Magic, and I haven't played any since then.

Hm, I guess I haven't either.  Not since 8/27, according to the Steam client.  So I probably don't know the current way the cloud support works.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: November 26, 2012, 07:42:55 pm »

Thank you 0x517A5D! Steam Cloud is already disabled (I only play at home, so that's a stupid feature to me), now I've disabled it in the XML too.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 10, 2012, 08:59:53 am »

I won!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sword, Shield, Armor, Perception, Smith, Fungal Arts, Berserker. With DLC levels, No time to Grind off, Dwarven with Perma Death.

Now I'm going to try a mage... hacking and slashing, one monster at a time, fully clearing all levels with the DLC levels... just took way too long. Let me try some AoE.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:02:23 am by kcwong »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 10, 2012, 12:07:36 pm »

I played melee classes often and fell into the same trap you did - namely, trying to use skills in a "normal" RPG manner. Weapon skills (except daggers and polearms) don't do enough to make them worth taking, unless you have something very specific in mind (swords give you lots of counterattack... which with dual wield and piracy give you HUGE counterattack, so you end up with many extra "stolen" enemy turns when you counter them). Armor/shield user give very similar benefits, with shield more useful for heavily armored characters and armor better for light armor wearers because it gives you free armor absorption.

I recommend dual-wield, piracy, clockwork knight/smithing/tinkering, and whatever else. You can literally jump right in the middle of monster zoos and clear them out in less than 30 turns. There's also combat geology, which is a melee-power based, non-mana-using "spellcasting" tree.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 11, 2012, 11:19:56 pm »

I went with a supertank warrior on my last successful clear.
Shield/Dodge/Master of Arms/Maces/Battle Geology/Smithing/Viking Wizardry.

...not very much in the way of AoE at all, but damn, I could count the times I got close to death on one hand. Nigh invulnerable to the armor mitigating damage types (plus piercing), high magic resists due to equipment too.

Though most abilities were pretty much worthless for me. I had very few to begin with anyway. Though, the mace one was situational but saved my ass more than once.
Sadly I didn't get into battle geology as much as I should have, I did underestimate just how powerful it was for me. Probably would've made things a bit faster.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 11, 2012, 11:27:37 pm »

The daggers skill has a stance that gives you pretty silly counter and crit rates. Master of Arms is also handy for rocket knights as their rocket jump attack uses your armor absorption value with a hefty multiplier. I'm trying to make something work with this, but I always end up getting too greedy.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 12, 2012, 03:22:09 am »

I've beaten it on Moderation with Axes/Dual Wield/Master of Arms/Viking Wizardry/Berserking/Smithing/Archaeology.

Now I'm trying it on Rogue with a sneak. Not nearly as easy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1297 on: December 22, 2012, 07:53:46 pm »

Oh dear... I know I'm late to the party, but I should have been in bed hours ago and I CAN'T STOP PLAYING.

Just got the whole package on Steam for some ridiculously low price, part of my Xmas present to myself. I had wanted to buy it for ages but could never justify paying for a game, even a cheap one, when I already had too many free ones and not enough time to play them. Well I've got over a week off from work now and Steam had this on sale, so... I might never sleep again.

My first death was to a paradox, trying to lutefisk-ify a lutefisk-ifying box (don't remember what they're called but you know what I mean). I was hooked immediately. My longest-lived character was doing so very well. Cleaned out 3 different monster zoos without hardly taking a scratch. Gotta love those fungus skills. Then I had a few alcoholic beverages and suddenly I was dead. I don't even know exactly what killed me, but boy oh boy was I disappointed.

I tried a few "random" builds but always died pretty immediately. When carefully choosing my skills, though, I seem to be lasting a fairly long time. The game feels much more "possible" than other roguelikes (nethack comes to mind of course), if only I can stay sober and focused enough to not die in a stupid way. But even dying is fun. Oh goodness what a fun game. Oh my, I should really have been in bed hours ago. What will I do when I have to start working again? Will this game ruin my life?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 22, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »

Sober? But wizard needs more mana, there must be more alcohol!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 22, 2012, 09:28:39 pm »

Will this game ruin my life?

Probably. It's not so bad, though. The diggles need you. They look up to you!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 23, 2012, 01:42:24 am »

You might be able to maintain the facade of having a real life if you manage to avoid playing a crafting build.

Otherwise god help you.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 23, 2012, 04:52:01 am »

A filled pocket dimension... I think it's a rite of passage for all DoD players. :D

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1302 on: December 23, 2012, 08:24:54 am »

I haven't done any magic-based or crafting-based builds yet. My favorite combination so far has been berserker rage, master of arms, fungal arts, and a random other smattering (including a melee skill) with these three maxed out first. The only reason I ever get killed is by doing something stupid like stepping onto a dimensional warp and being sent somewhere crazy powerful, or repeatedly trying to disarm a trap without noticing that my HP is getting really low.

I just did a short "interim review" of the game on my tumblr. Feedback welcome: http://thingsairafound.tumblr.com/post/38623101894/interim-review-dungeons-of-dredmor-or-why

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 23, 2012, 11:05:09 am »

Burglary is good. And archaeology. I never go anywhere without those two.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 23, 2012, 11:33:47 am »

Heh, the review seems pretty spot on. You might find a pleasant surprise in a few wizardlands, once you start exploring them.

The blue portals tend to be instant death for me unless I've cleared up to floor 8 or so. The game saves the whole dungeon and you can move up and down floors freely, so you can always make a note and come back to them later.

As for traps, several skills give you Trap Affinity, the stat you need to safely disarm them. Tinkering, burglary, blacksmithing, perception, archaeology come to mind. Tinkering is by far the best, you can almost disarm the entire dungeon with tinkering boosts alone.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 90