Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 90

Author Topic: Dungeons of Dredmor - Patch 1.1.2 is available  (Read 183139 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons of Dredmor - Lutefisk for the Lutefisk God
« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2011, 12:13:15 pm »

Oi. You forgot the apostrohpes :V

A proper elven name always needs at least half a dozen apostrophes.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »

Oi. You forgot the apostrohpes :V

A proper elven name always needs at least half a dozen apostrophes.

True enough!  I assume Addryndyndyn is his shortened name for the humans.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2011, 12:42:55 pm »

they should add an RNG for this game characters are dying left and right in this game its kinda tedious thinking of another name whenever your last one died

and also what is the highest scores you guys got does it vary if you choose easier settings in character gen? mine is 14164 but this guy only made it through level 1 and died in a gas trap on lvl 2....

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2011, 01:24:03 pm »

Well, I've been playing in an extrordinarily undwarfy way, with permadeth off, but I've been enjoying it a lot nonetheless. I have reached EL 10, with only 3 character deaths, mostly from surprise zoos/terrible random teleports. I've found a great combo for a mage.
Go for Psionics, Blood Magic, Promethean Magic, Formal Magic training, Weapon training of some sort, Arithmancy, and whatever else you want. Getting Psionics leveled to the nerve whatever it is is the best. Not only does it do a lot of damage, it stuns for a couple turns, alowing you to spam pyrokenisis or whatever other damage spell you want. The Promethean Magic's explosive rune is the BEST way to clear monster zoos, because it has a huge AOE effect that can weaken a whole stream of invaders. The magic training makes this all fairly mana-cheap, and the weapon training makes a decent fallback. It's a fairly effective build. Oh, and if all else fails, use the random blink arithmancy ability and set up a fire mine between you and them. The promethean magic ability works wonders on the early game monsters, too.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »

Well, I've been playing in an extrordinarily undwarfy way, with permadeth off, but I've been enjoying it a lot nonetheless. I have reached EL 10, with only 3 character deaths, mostly from surprise zoos/terrible random teleports. I've found a great combo for a mage.
Go for Psionics, Blood Magic, Promethean Magic, Formal Magic training, Weapon training of some sort, Arithmancy, and whatever else you want. Getting Psionics leveled to the nerve whatever it is is the best. Not only does it do a lot of damage, it stuns for a couple turns, alowing you to spam pyrokenisis or whatever other damage spell you want. The Promethean Magic's explosive rune is the BEST way to clear monster zoos, because it has a huge AOE effect that can weaken a whole stream of invaders. The magic training makes this all fairly mana-cheap, and the weapon training makes a decent fallback. It's a fairly effective build. Oh, and if all else fails, use the random blink arithmancy ability and set up a fire mine between you and them. The promethean magic ability works wonders on the early game monsters, too.

but early on wouldnt you die a lot? by how much does magic training reduce mana cost anyway?

and why no permadeath? wouldnt save scumming defeat the purpose of having a strategy build? just quickload if you die and go the other way...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2011, 01:48:40 pm »

I've found even basic weapons training is enough to not die, as long as you have some sort of "something else" in there too. My most recent hand-to-hand guy is even doing well now that I realized dodge+assassination+astrology is enough to get him through character levels 1 and 2. The dragon breath and sleep should keep things distracted/on fire so groups are easier to deal with, and one-on-one you should be able to kill anything on the first floor with just a weapon skill.

I've been playing no permadeath too, but only recently when I realized how much of a threat crashes were. Basically I play my no permadeath characters like they have permadeath (if they die I delete the save) but if the game crashes, I don't lose the character forever (since permadeath characters delete the save on loading, but no permadeath ones don't).
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2011, 01:51:58 pm »

With the promethean magic ability, you get a nice spell at the beginning of the game, a small AOE fireball that deals with crowds nicely. After that, it's your weapon skill versus the world. At the beginning you also get a sleep spell that's good for escaping from trouble. I can't really say how much mana the formal magic training saves you, but unupgraded blood magic can be of great assistance in regenning mana.
And on the savescumming, it's good to only use the autosaves as you change levels in the game, it really lets you have a sincere drawback when you die, but not have to start grinding diggles again. It works for me and keeps the adventure moving for now. Once I get way better at the game in general or get bored of this, I'll turn on permadeath.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2011, 02:24:36 pm »

i have taken some traps... how i can set??

and...the item and potions are not random....i know the potions at the start of the game
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:38:27 pm by teoleo »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2011, 02:36:29 pm »

With the promethean magic ability, you get a nice spell at the beginning of the game, a small AOE fireball that deals with crowds nicely. After that, it's your weapon skill versus the world. At the beginning you also get a sleep spell that's good for escaping from trouble. I can't really say how much mana the formal magic training saves you, but unupgraded blood magic can be of great assistance in regenning mana.
And on the savescumming, it's good to only use the autosaves as you change levels in the game, it really lets you have a sincere drawback when you die, but not have to start grinding diggles again. It works for me and keeps the adventure moving for now. Once I get way better at the game in general or get bored of this, I'll turn on permadeath.

Early on, if it's the route you want to take and you have Magic Training + Blood Magic for tons of mana, you can also spend your first character level on the level two psionic upgrade for full crowd control.

"Oh no a crowd" > Sleep the closest one
"They're coming closer" > AOE Fire spell
"They're here!" > PUUUUSH
Repeat until out of how mana or you feel like you can pick the rest off in melee.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2011, 02:37:43 pm »

Vampiric pure melee characters seem to be quite powerfull after getting decent equipment... managed to easily clear a zoo immediately after entering the third level, without using any consumable items. With enough defence, you'll be healing faster than most enemies can damage you as long as you're using the environment to make sure only one can hit you at the same time. Because of that, large groups usually aren't much of a problem.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2011, 02:38:35 pm »

Vampire is hard mode bar none. No booze, no food, no passive recovery.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »

i have taken some traps... how i can set??

Just drop them on the ground where you want to put them.  It seems to work for me.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2011, 03:26:01 pm »

Early on, if it's the route you want to take and you have Magic Training + Blood Magic for tons of mana, you can also spend your first character level on the level two psionic upgrade for full crowd control.

"Oh no a crowd" > Sleep the closest one
"They're coming closer" > AOE Fire spell
"They're here!" > PUUUUSH
Repeat until out of how mana or you feel like you can pick the rest off in melee.

EXACTLY THIS. This is how to survive in the first few experience levels. If you push just as you open a door, they have to walk through more AOE.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2011, 03:40:25 pm »

I think I might be the first person to complete the game, by the way.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »

Nice work!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 90